Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now everyone will be doing tethering... and its gonna red flag sprint..

Palm Pre WiFi app creates DIY EVDO router [Video] - SlashGear
    Oooo! I hope Sprint doesn't take notice.
    I'm pretty sure Sprint already knew about the earlier versions of MyTether.
    Quote Originally Posted by spcs700wx View Post
    Now everyone will be doing tethering... and its gonna red flag sprint..

Palm Pre WiFi app creates DIY EVDO router [Video] - SlashGear
    Yup!
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Thanks alot Slash-Gear why dont you just tell the CEO of Sprint personally.

On a side note I'd only say that <5% of people actually tether with their pres.
    Just personal opinion (no hard facts lol...dont bash me)
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I don't tether, but I might in a pinch.
    Quote Originally Posted by sburlbaw View Post
    Thanks alot Slash-Gear why dont you just tell the CEO of Sprint personally.

On a side note I'd only say that <5% of people actually tether with their pres.
    Just personal opinion (no hard facts lol...dont bash me)
    Nobody knows the exact number, so no one could bash you. I'd say less than 10%.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Do you really think Palm / Sprint didn't know about this before the Slashgear post?

I have no doubt that they're keeping an eye on what's going on in communities like this one.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    This site/forum has garnered more attention from a lot bigger fish than this article. Sprint/Palm are well aware of tethering. I have no doubts about that. As for 'everyone' doing it, that wont be the case. Its simply to much work for a lot of people.
    Lol. Really? Sprint would've never known otherwise!
    The way I see it, they shouldn't package the "unlimited" data with the phone if they don't mean it. Who are they to tell you how you go about using that data?
    Sprint knew
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I bet the news would actually attract more people to buy the Pre, giving Sprint more customers which they need badly right now. I am actually one that was waiting to purchase the Pre until tethering became easier and not just a "hack"
    Spint and Palm are real people with internet and Google search too. If we were able to find out about tethering, so would they.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweak41 View Post
    ...Who are they to tell you how you go about using that data...
    They are the ones who own and provide the bandwidth...

It's done to avoid the issue where two iphones try and use the same tower and the whole AT&T network crashes

They want to ensure that their unlimited plans dont inadvertently compromise the network

That being said, i can see where it would come in handy in a pinch; mainly on vacation
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    They are the ones who own and provide the bandwidth...

It's done to avoid the issue where two iphones try and use the same tower and the whole AT&T network crashes

They want to ensure that their unlimited plans dont inadvertently compromise the network

That being said, i can see where it would come in handy in a pinch; mainly on vacation

It's not that serious of a problem or they wouldnt sell Laptop cards....

Sprints just wants our $$$
    As long as tethering requires rooting the Pre to install the app, I don't see Sprint as caring much. If however, the tethering app becomes too easy to install, Sprint might decide to take action against home brew. For that reason, I hope the install process never becomes too mainstream.
    Stay under 5gb, dont worry.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I just watched 30 seconds of that video and got dumber...
    I seriously doubt there is anything Sprint could do about it even if they wanted to. It's not clear to me that they could actually detect the fact that My Tether is running the way things are currently. It's not like the old phone as modem where you actually dial in to the Sprint network from your computer. My Tether is actually sharing the internet connection--your phone is always the primary connector to the network. As long as people don't do the "Sprint is now my primary ISP" thing, I think we're pretty safe.

Sprint is already getting good money out of us. If they were really smart, they would charge us an extra $5-10 per month for the capability and make a little more, and then everything would be above board. But since they're not doing that, and just saying we can't, people are going to make the mods necessary to do it. Can't provide a device with these kinds of capabilities and expect people aren't going to use them.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast