1.    #1  
    How do I get the Pre to dial a number that has an extension?

For a lot my contacts in MS Outlook, I have text or numbers following the phone number. For example, "202-456-1414 x101" or "202-456-1414 Michelle". My old Treo 650 (Palm OS) had no problem dialing those numbers and ignoring everything after the 10 digit phone number.

But the Pre actually reads those added characters and the result is that I get a recording saying "the number or code you have dialed is incorrect." Is this something that Palm will (hopefully) fix or that I need to fix? If it's me, I have to go through 1,000+ contacts.

Lawrence
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    If it didn't "reads those added characters" then you couldn't do dialing with pause etc. in it.

If you have a contact number it seems best to keep it a "contact number" without other characters not needed for dialing.

If you have an extension such as your example, add the "p" (without quotes) prior to the ext. and the Pre will display it along the top as "Dial 5272". You tap it when you're ready to enter the extention. That's a prompted pause.

Or use "t" for a timed pause. I think it's 2 seconds before it'll dial it automatically. Use as many "t" as you need to get the timed delay you need such as ttttt for a 10 second pause.

So in your examples case, 202-456-1414p101 it'll dial the number and have the extension displayed and ready for you to tap to dial.

Or, 202-456-1414t101 and it'll dial the extension 2 seconds after the number.

I guess all that means, yep, you gotta edit and clean up your numbers.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    If you have an extension such as your example, add the "p" (without quotes) prior to the ext. and the Pre will display it along the top as "Dial 5272". You tap it when you're ready to enter the extention. That's a prompted pause.
    I was just about to make a new thread about this, but I found this one instead. I was happy to see this feature, as I dial A LOT of numbers with extensions. I attached some screenshots of how it works. When you tap the "Dial 123", it automatically dials the extension 123. Good stuff!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    A work around for the OP might be to separate phone # and ignored text with a "p". The "p" will add a hard pause after dialing the real phone number, and unless the call button is pressed again, the text that should be ignored will just sit there.

But, that means editing all such fields in your contacts, so.....

Regards,
    Tom
    Here's a few more bugs concerning numbers with strings.

If a contact number has a string (using t or p), you can't redial the string from the call log. Just the first 10 digits are dialed.

Any number I have with a string appears in the call log only by number, not by name.

I wish Palm would consider basic phone functionality a priority, but these bugs have been present since launch.

These two things irritate me on a daily basis. I would think the suits at Palm have a lot more numbers with extensions in their contacts than me...