Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1. gigaorg's Avatar
    Posts
    132 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
       #1  
    I like many of you have been thinking about the battery situation. I am content with what I have (I get through the day), but there are times when it runs out of juice and I am bummed. The cost of a new battery seems pricey...but then I was thinking. Apple still charges $86 to replace their average battery with another average battery, and you have to be without your phone while they do it. For that price, you can get a new battery and a touchstone.

    So I guess it's all relative.
  2. #2  
    I don't get the battery life complainers.

    I've seen one person ask "how do they expect me to get through one day" Another says on vacation " i was totally worried about battery life all day..good thing i brought a car charger"

    Are people really this stupid? Good thing you brought a car charger? Welp, why would you buy one and then complain about using it?

    Anytime i buy a smartphone, i grab docks, car chargers, etc to go with it because I know one overnight battery charge won't get me through the day. Just as i know my laptop isn't going to get more than 2-3 hours on its own. You adjust.

    Grab the Pre off the touchstone in morning. Off in the car. Throw Pre back on the touchstone in car...commute is one hour...stream Pandora over BT stereo, use GPS, etc. Get to work. Touchstone at desk. Blah blah blah. This phone doesn't have a chance to get below 50% usually. Even if i'm off to an audit at a clients (tethering comes in handy away from office btw) and don't go to the office. Touchstone in car is enough.

    Doesn't matter if the iphone or treo had slightly better battery life or not. I still had to charge both the same way or risk having a low battery.

    If i worked in a place that didn't have an office and/or didn't use a car, i'd carry a spare battery. That's not to say i wouldn't want longer battery life that dumbphone users enjoy, of course i would. But that isn't the reality of owning a smartphone that gets used heavily..especially in ways that are even more battery draining than a BB. I browse more on a Pre than i ever did with a Treo..therefore, the Treo had better battery life.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I don't get the battery life complainers.

    I've seen one person ask "how do they expect me to get through one day" Another says on vacation " i was totally worried about battery life all day..good thing i brought a car charger"

    Are people really this stupid? Good thing you brought a car charger? Welp, why would you buy one and then complain about using it?

    Anytime i buy a smartphone, i grab docks, car chargers, etc to go with it because I know one overnight battery charge won't get me through the day. Just as i know my laptop isn't going to get more than 2-3 hours on its own. You adjust.

    Grab the Pre off the touchstone in morning. Off in the car. Throw Pre back on the touchstone in car...commute is one hour...stream Pandora over BT stereo, use GPS, etc. Get to work. Touchstone at desk. Blah blah blah. This phone doesn't have a chance to get below 50% usually. Even if i'm off to an audit at a clients (tethering comes in handy away from office btw) and don't go to the office. Touchstone in car is enough.

    Doesn't matter if the iphone or treo had slightly better battery life or not. I still had to charge both the same way or risk having a low battery.

    If i worked in a place that didn't have an office and/or didn't use a car, i'd carry a spare battery. That's not to say i wouldn't want longer battery life that dumbphone users enjoy, of course i would. But that isn't the reality of owning a smartphone that gets used heavily..especially in ways that are even more battery draining than a BB. I browse more on a Pre than i ever did with a Treo..therefore, the Treo had better battery life.
    seriously though palm should have included a 1340 mah battery
  4. #4  
    Or that meaty 1500 mah battery from the Treo Pro would have been excellent
  5. #5  
    Using a Centro battery on a new flagship device should never have been approved. And I am not complaining just stating that the decision was not the smartest one.
  6. gigaorg's Avatar
    Posts
    132 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
       #6  
    But then what we would we have to write about?
  7. #7  
    When my phone is used as much as my Treo, it lasts not quite as long, but close. The problem is that this phone is more useful, so I use it more. This drives down battery life. So, I have a Touchstone at home AND work. Problem solved.
  8. #8  
    Let's face it, the battery b!tch3rs would b!tch even if there was a 4000mah battery in the Pre. And then they would be whining about the size and weight of it as well!
  9. eji930's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    #9  
    as long as your phone gets you to your next charge your ok lol...I charge at night last all thru the workday and depending on my activites I charge in car or at home and Im fine..Ive heard people complain saying the battery doesnt last longer than 8hrs or some even say it doesnt last 2 or 3 days like my other phones....I think with all the things phones do 6 to 8hrs of use is suitable on such a device heck my laptop gets 2-3hrs of use without being on the adapter
  10. #10  
    and on a wall charger, it charges really fast! So even one hour of charging will give you enough juice for short term activities.
    ***I Twitter***

    Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  11. #11  
    I will say the best battery i had on a phone was hands down a blackberry. Yes, the hardware wasn't as powerful...but even when I was streaming pandora, the battery took such a tiny dent, i didn't feel the need to have it on a charger as I streamed.

    However, I also realized that the Pre would not have as nice of a battery. For MY personal use, it doesn't effect me...I charge over night...and if needed, I can charge at work.

    Only time it may effect me if i end up using my phone a lot while being away from a charger. The thing is, my phone usage will taper off as I get moer and more used to this phone (i just got it this past weekend)....I still just turn it on every once and a while just to play around on it.

    But there are also 3rd party battery solutions if you need a bit more juice...and of course, if it really is an issue, there are other phones as well. But that Seido extended battery is basically double the battery life with a slightly thicker form factor.
  12. #12  
    I took my phone off my charger when I got out of the car this morning at exactly 8am. I have disabled wi-fi, bluetooth and set location services to on request only. I have not done any browsing or even checked the 5 measly emails I have received yet. Basically my phone has been in standby for the past 6 hours. I've only just now checked it to verify my battery life. I am at 67%. As of right now, battery life is my ONLY complaint about my Pre. (I did experience some calls drops, but that seems to be resolved as I haven't had an issue since.) In the same scenario my blackberry wouldn't have even a visible dent in the battery. Luckily I have a half hour drive on my way home tonight, but it is sad to know that even in standby it barely has enough juice to last through an extended workday.

    Some people are legitimately experiencing battery life issues. Especially when other brands have set an expectancy level. I don't want to go back to my blackberry because I will admit my Pre is much, much sexier and an entirely different beast. But it may be necessary for me to do so at certain times. Once busy season rolls around and I have to pull 16 hour shifts, receiving dozens of phone calls a day....the way things stand right now, I don't have faith in my Pre to get me through that. Not without having access to a charger at all during that period. My blackberry has been there done that. So if that makes me a battery whiner, then so be it.
  13. #13  
    Yeah some peoples battery life is vastly different. I certainly don't have the top end according to some people...but i'm at 63% now and I've been listening to Pandora for a bit now.

    But again, have my charger here if i need it.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by hnharrison24 View Post
    I took my phone off my charger when I got out of the car this morning at exactly 8am. I have disabled wi-fi, bluetooth and set location services to on request only. I have not done any browsing or even checked the 5 measly emails I have received yet. Basically my phone has been in standby for the past 6 hours. I've only just now checked it to verify my battery life. I am at 67%. As of right now, battery life is my ONLY complaint about my Pre. (I did experience some calls drops, but that seems to be resolved as I haven't had an issue since.) In the same scenario my blackberry wouldn't have even a visible dent in the battery. Luckily I have a half hour drive on my way home tonight, but it is sad to know that even in standby it barely has enough juice to last through an extended workday.

    Some people are legitimately experiencing battery life issues. Especially when other brands have set an expectancy level. I don't want to go back to my blackberry because I will admit my Pre is much, much sexier and an entirely different beast. But it may be necessary for me to do so at certain times. Once busy season rolls around and I have to pull 16 hour shifts, receiving dozens of phone calls a day....the way things stand right now, I don't have faith in my Pre to get me through that. Not without having access to a charger at all during that period. My blackberry has been there done that. So if that makes me a battery whiner, then so be it.
    I don't think this is a random device thing, it's got to be either charge cycles, installed software or signal. My BB would last two or three days, unless it couldn't get a signal for some reason, in which case it would drain like a bathtub with a hole in it.

    I leave WIFI (even tho I can't connect at work) and BT on all the time, never switch them off. I've got notifications turning my screen on all day and end up playing around with the phone quite a bit and I can still easily make it through a day and well into the evening.
    Last edited by GMoney749; 08/03/2009 at 01:42 PM.
  15. #15  
    if you want to go the centro battery route you can get them for $15 on amazon.com
  16. #16  
    For me personally, the Pre battery life is just barely good enough during normal usage, and borders on unacceptable when using GPS for Sprint Navigation (I know, some will say use the car charger, but there are times I use Sprint Navigation when walking places as well).

    Just barely good enough means to me that it lasts me through the commute and work day, and maybe an hour or two after that without any charging, but if I'm going out for an extended period of time right after work, then I have to start being concerned about battery life if I haven't charged.

    Though, the CPU scaling stuff has also helped a bunch in my opinion (not included in the estimate I gave above).
  17. #17  
    I will admit I haven't rooted my phone. Installed apps are: Twee (notifications off), WxRad, Shortcovers, Infopedia, My Notification, Fandango, Where and Pandora. I've been maintaining 2 bars while at work and full bars outside of work.

    My charging schedule has been sporadic I will admit. I'm downright paranoid about it dying on me, which will inevitably occur when I most need the darned thing. I plan on completely draining the battery every night this week as my schedule is pretty clear. Hopefully that will help "condition" it as I've read about. I'll report back later this week. I plan on keeping a log to determinate usage and percentage remaining.
  18. #18  
    Well the best battery life I've had was a Samsung A737, would last a week and a half. That said the phone was a throw-away that didn't do anything but make calls and played music. Now my AT&T phone is a Samsung Eternity, which on average would last about 2-3 days, now however it lasts 4-5 days because I never touch it unless someone calls me (not hard to figure out why).

    As for the Pre, I don't stay out all 24 hours in a day, I tend to go home in the evening. So I never complain about the battery life simply because it lasts through my day, and when I get home I just stick it to a touchstone and all is well. I don't think my Pre has ever gone below 40% in the whole time I've had it.
  19. #19  
    It all really deoends on lifestyle. I work in the marine industry and when boat show season kicks up in october there will without a doubt be days where I will have NO access to a car charger or even an outlet for a solid 16 hours. Given that my prior smartphone made it through that with ease, of course I now expect that. Sure an extra battery is an alternative, but still frustrating when I never needed one with my curve. I never even owned a car charger for it while that was the first thing I bought for my pre. Nothing wrong with being honest. I will again state that despite the battery issue I still love my pre else I wouldn't be here reading up on every possible fix any one of us can come up with.
  20. Arclight's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    if you want to go the centro battery route you can get them for $15 on amazon.com
    You can also get them new for only $5 shipped via Ebay, I have several and they work great. A standalone charger that doesnt need the phone to charge is $6, so you can always have a hot spare.

    battery:
    New Palm Treo Centro 685 690 OEM Original Battery USA!! - eBay (item 230353623537 end time Aug-31-09 15:00:41 PDT)

    charger:
    USB Wall Battery Charger for Palm Centro 690 - eBay (item 260455187155 end time Aug-28-09 06:00:00 PDT)

    So technically the cost of having a couple of (unofficial) replacement batteries always charged and ready to go isnt that high, but still I'd agree that for a device designed to be web enabled and thus having a data connection live for a lot of the day, a slightly beefier battery would have been nice.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions