Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I don't get the battery life complainers.
    And I suspect the battery life complainers don't get the battery-life-complainer whiners. Just because the Pre's weak battery life can be mitigated somewhat through extraordinary measures doesn't make it okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    And I suspect the battery life complainers don't get the battery-life-complainer whiners. Just because the Pre's weak battery life can be mitigated somewhat through extraordinary measures doesn't make it okay.
    How do you know? Do you own one, or are you just the cat that puts on a skirt and shakes pom-poms at every negative post? On a forum for a device that he doesn't even own? What kind of whiner does that make you?? You're like a one-eared parrot, repeating half of what you hear.

And what are these extraordinary measures? And on what device that uses a battery do you not try to mitigate battery life?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I had a Touch Pro, before that a Mogul, before that a Treo 755, before that a 700p, before that regular flip phone. This device has the least amount of runtime in use out of all of them. And I did indeed use data a lot with the flip both on tether as well as checking wap sites and email.

It does not (so far) have great battery life and it does not (so far) have a battery capacity that appropriately addresses the phone's given level of power consumption.

For Palm to effectively attack the enterprise once they finish addressing things on the OS/software/security/tools side they will need to address hardware build (which they apparently are) and then battery life. Either making replacement batteries very affordable (which they probably can afford to given that since the pre batts are simply relabeled Centro batts their R&D costs are pretty much nil and they have huge economies of scale on them at this point) or at some point doing a PCB revision with die shrinks on the major chips onboard and other power-saving enhancements (this would also help the beast run cooler as well).
    Having chargers at home, car and work is extraordinary? I've been living on the edge for years then
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Yes that's extraordinary.

I had a Treo 600 before the Pre and if I stayed around town I could
    go 5-6 days between charges with a little daily data usage and a few calls.
    Going from that, to having the battery in the Pre run down every day with
    no voice or data usage, and half a day or less if I use it for anything, is quite
    a shock. As others have said, now it's just a matter of whether it'll
    even last between chargers. If I go into the mountains with sporadic
    Sprint coverage , forget it. I have to turn it off or the battery is dead in
    an hour or two. The Treo would at least get me through a day in
    the mountains.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post

no voice or data usage, and half a day or less if I use it for anything, is quite
    the mountains.

ian
    Two Saturdays ago my wife and I did a motorcycle ride out into the desert and up into the mountains without a charger and my Pre lasted the whole day. Took it to a concert that night and used it to take pictures.
    i just keep an extra battery in my pocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post

the mountains.

ian
    Welcome to updated smart phones.

The G1
    iPhone
    Touch Pro

None of these things have awesome batteries. They are all daily...or max...2 day charger phones.
    The Pre is a wireless device. Not so wireless if you constantly have to plug it back in.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Welcome to updated smart phones.

The G1
    iPhone
    Touch Pro

None of these things have awesome batteries. They are all daily...or max...2 day charger phones.
    This is true, none can go a full day under heavy use with medium or lower signal strength. The iPhone would be particularly bad if it were able to actually fully (not just messaging/ipod) multitask but that's different.

On any of these if you want to really put them to task just carry on an hour long IM or SMS session to see how fast they kill a battery.

Until another couple shrinks in process for the core chipsets I doubt any of these are going to survive well on the stock batteries they have.

I don't think there's any solution to that, or the Pre's battery life, in the meantime - other than just keeping a charged spare with you, which is already generally a good idea anyway.

And that Pre/Centro battery is pretty slim and tiny (and only $5) compared to a touch pro battery. Neither are very large to be honest, compared to the old Treo batteries for 650/700.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    The Pre is a wireless device. Not so wireless if you constantly have to plug it back in.
    It's also a pocketPC, which have never had battery life going beyond a day (though truth be told I don't know how true this statement is anymore, I'm merely being anecdotal on my experience years ago.). The Pre is accomplishing a lot more tasks at a much more constant rate than my usual phones, even more than my previous WinMo phones (which were more about receiving data than manipulating and sending it), so it needs a battery the size of an Altoids tin to run for several days without charging. I mean how long can your laptop run on average unplugged, and how big is it's battery?

Now Palm could have easily have solved this problem if they did one of two things, made the battery much larger, or tone down its capabilities.

If it had either thing, people would complain about that. Long story story, no matter you're ***** about something on the device, because no device is perfect.

And as I said earlier this thread, my Pre lasts for the day, then I come home and drop it on my Touchstone when I go do other things like make dinner or watch a movie. I mean unless you work 8 hour shifts starting in the morning and then immediately go to blubs until dawn the battery life really isn't an issue and people are merely blowing it out of proportion. If you require battery juice, several companies have stepped up to provide better capacity (although somewhat larger) options. I mean feel glad we at least have such options (looking at you Apple).
    smack palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by allimsayin View Post
    i just keep an extra battery in my pocket
    That's extraordinary
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    That's extraordinary
    That's not very extraordinary to me given I did the same for my Mogul and Touch Pro. They werent so hot either even with Push turned off (2 hr intervals instead).

If you really plan to be USING the device a lot during your day, I don't mean some penny ante mixed use here and there, I mean a couple of hours total worth of having the thing open doing messaging of any sort (and thus having the data connection and screen active during that time) pretty much the only device that can make it without devouring battery in record time is gonna be a Blackberry Curve for example.. Which isnt remotely the same animal of course.

I've killed a fresh (e.g. only a few months old) Touch Pro battery from fully charged to shutdown on a night out, about 6-7 hours from start to finish. Mixed GPS use, a lot of texting and Facebooking, use of the camera, and so on. thing was on a lot.

So to me it isnt extraordinary. It's like calling a 3-legged horse slow, in a race filled with 3-legged horses.

No touchscreen-equipped smartphone I've put my hands on (and I've used far more than I owned) is really great on battery that I've seen.

If you really plan on using the beast a lot, not buying a spare battery is just stubborn and silly, especially when they're so cheap ($5).
    So last night I ran my Pre until it shutdown on me. It is now 3:21pm and my battery is at 77% vs. 67% yesterday at 2pm.

10+% increase overnight after one complete discharge. *Almost* identical situation. I checked twitter this morning and a couple web pages from it (less than 5 min browsing) and sent one email.

I strongly suggest that anyone not cycling the battery do so. While one day is not enough to base long term results on, it appears to have helped. I will do the same again tonight and report back tomorrow.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12