1.    #1  
    So i was at a bar and I put my pre down on the counter, and I picked it up, and it was dripping with water!!!!!!!

The counter had this big puddle of water that had built up and I hadnt seen it, so I took of the battery cover and dried up all the water that was in it, and I thought the phone was ok, but then it started acting up...

so the phone still comes on, I can do everything on it, but its constantly on offline mode, theres no service, i can even do WIFI, but i dont get the sprint service, so im freaking out right now, i put it in a thing with rice to absorb moisture and on a fan so that it dries up the water.

any suggestions? anyone think itll be working correctly again by tomorrow??
    let us know how it goes tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by diyeiogt View Post
    So i was at a bar and I put my pre down on the counter, and I picked it up, and it was dripping with water!!!!!!!

The counter had this big puddle of water that had built up and I hadnt seen it, so I took of the battery cover and dried up all the water that was in it, and I thought the phone was ok, but then it started acting up...

so the phone still comes on, I can do everything on it, but its constantly on offline mode, theres no service, i can even do WIFI, but i dont get the sprint service, so im freaking out right now, i put it in a thing with rice to absorb moisture and on a fan so that it dries up the water.

any suggestions? anyone think itll be working correctly again by tomorrow??
    Goto this post http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-pre-bath.html

Also Rice may not work. Try other water absorbent methods like Damp-Rid or Kitty litter. Someone noted that Kitty litter can damage the phone but I have used it on my electronics before and no problems. So I guess the safer method is to use Damp-Rid. Also do not power on the phone for the next 24-48 hours

Let us know how it turns out... Good Luck
    All else fails, hope you have insurance.

Thats the sad part of these super phones. They are soooo delicate. I remember the old days of heartier phones that could really withstand a lot more life, than these.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    All else fails, hope you have insurance.

Thats the sad part of these super phones. They are soooo delicate. I remember the old days of heartier phones that could really withstand a lot more life, than these.
    How about the guy that dropped his Pre off his lap to the 2nd floor patio, over the edge and down to a bed of rocks on the ground? That's pretty sturdy.

Water and mobile devices have never been good. And even the old ones, while big and heavy were sealed as well and were worse about moisture damage.

I've saved a cell phone putting it in the freezer after getting dropped in a giant glass of iced tea. It can keep the moisture from creeping and soaking in and in it'll dry it or break the ice free and get it out. It'll usually take a few days to get rid of the moisture in anything anyway.

And unless Sprints insurance specifically cover's it (for the cost, it should)no warranty in the biz will touch one that has any show of moisture. At the retail level they may swap it if they have swap stock (if they do that anymore) but no manufacture will touch one.
    Here's hope for you. My pre was resting on the console of my car in rush hour traffic. I had to slam on the brakes and it went flying straight into a cup of water -- fully submerged. Took the battery out immediately and shook off the excess water. When I got home - I put the battery back in and tried to restart -- all I got was palm logo and grainy white lines. I read this forum, removed the battery, dried it off again and blew it with a warm hairdryer for a minute. Then I took it back out to my car to bake in the afternoon sun. I'm happy to report that after 4 hours in the Louisiana heat it is functioning perfectly.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I had a similar experience, minus the water, where it kept cylcing to offline and then it would pick up the Sprint network, then back to offline. Called up Sprint and asked for Advanced Technical Support and we did a Hard Reset, i.e. it wiped everything out and then pulled everything back on when I logged into my account. Not saying that the water will have an adverse affect, but once you get it dried out...if it works, call up tech support and go from there. Worst case, you will have to put through a claim with the insurance, but you should get a brand new one.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    Do the rice!!!!!! It worked for me, my son knocked my wife's iphone in the bathtub and it hit bottom. Keep it in the rice for 72 hours.
    Go Bucks!
    Dropped my Treo 700wx in the toilet...after just having used the restroom...no option but to flush...lost the battery but saved the phone! Retreive it from the toilet, dropped in sink and fully rinsed, then I removed the screws and seperated the case and let set overnight. Then next day took blow dryer to it. Tossed in spare battery and it still works today...of course none of my children want to take over the phone now that I have the new Pre...and I guess I don't blame them.

A week or so ago my son dropped his Instinct in the lake while boating. He had to dive in to retrieve the phone. He also let it dry and it still works...say's it is the best money he has ever spent (about time) for a phone.

Dry 'er out thoroughly, then give 'er a go. Good luck.
    If you can't get your phone out of offline mode, you can try doing a full reset on it. Not to say its not caused by the water. But my phone kept going into Phone Offline mode every couple minutes. I had to do a full reset, and it hasn't done it since.

Good luck on getting your pre working. I bought insurance for this main reason.
    No one pays attention to these threads, and the advice in them, until it's too late. But in the hopes maybe it will help one person:

If your phone (or any other electronic device) gets wet remove the battery immediately AND KEEP IT OUT until the phone has had a chance to thorougly dry out. Putting it in rice, turning a blow dryer on it, and other things will help speed the process, but the most important part is NOT to apply power until everything is completely dried out.

It's not the water that breaks things, it the short circuits the water creates. Water lets electrons flow in directions, and in places, they were not intended to go. No battery means no power, and no short circuits. It's not a guarantee, because phones contain capacitors which store a charge even after the battery is removed, but it's a big step in the right direction.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redstick View Post
    Here's hope for you. My pre was resting on the console of my car in rush hour traffic. I had to slam on the brakes and it went flying straight into a cup of water -- fully submerged.
    I wonder how many people do that? A buddy dunked 2 phone in 2 weeks in his 32 oz cup or water in front of the console in his truck from laying the phone on the console and it just sliding off. He can't be w/o a phone (it's his business) so no time to try to revive, he just bought new phones each time.

Quote Originally Posted by crosbo View Post

A week or so ago my son dropped his Instinct in the lake while boating. He had to dive in to retrieve the phone. He also let it dry and it still works...say's it is the best money he has ever spent (about time) for a phone.

Dry 'er out thoroughly, then give 'er a go. Good luck.
    Now I now that's a lie. You're in central Texas and you claim to have a lake that still has water in it?