Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    so i have filecoaster and i was trying to download a few more homebrew apps from the forums. but it gave me a failed to install error. after i deleted one of the apps, i was able to download a new one. is anyone having the same problem? is there a limit to the amount of apps you can have on the phone at one time?
    There seems to be a limit on the current version of WebOS that is not memory related.

Remember, homebrew aren't official and so Palm problem has a limit that they can easily remove when the app store comes out of beta.

At least this is how I view it.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    yea, i actually tried to download an app from the appstore (citysearch update) and it asked me to delete an app from my app browser. so there does seem to be a limit.
    I had the same problem with 5.7GB free on the device. There are only 30, or so, apps in the App Catalog. Even if I installed them all, I should be able to install many, many more. What happens when there are 150 apps available?
    The Pre has a memory limit for apps. The internal drive is partitioned. I believe the partition reserved for applications is 250MB, but don't quote me on that. That should be a lot of applications, but there may be other limits too.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    This has been mentioned many times by others and myself so I'll give it another go...

All of the "homebrew" applications install in the same-way as they would if you were a developer. They install into a directory that has limited amount of space. When you install too many apps into this directory (it was never meant for that), you'll get these errors.

You see, "real" applications each get their own "directory".

So, until the homebrew community changes the way they install applications, you're going to run into this quite often as the more applications become available.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunks3 View Post
    so i have filecoaster and i was trying to download a few more homebrew apps from the forums. but it gave me a failed to install error. after i deleted one of the apps, i was able to download a new one. is anyone having the same problem? is there a limit to the amount of apps you can have on the phone at one time?
    how many apps do currently have installed? I think it was erring out at around 100.
    This sucks. I keep having to delete apps! Every time i find a new one i like i have to find one to get rid of.
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...rk-around.html

Here's the deal. The var folder is sort of like a space reserved for temporary use kind of like the temp folder in windows but not exactly like that. Here is a snippets that explains briefly the folder:

/var

The /var directory is mostly mounted as a separate filesystem under the root where in all the variable content like logs, spool files for printers, crontab,at jobs, mail, running process, lock files etc. Care has to be taken in planning this file system and maintenance as this can fill up pretty quickly and when the FileSystem is full can cause system and application operational issues.
    I haven't followed the homebrew process but I get the impression that they shouldn't be installed to this allocated space since it is restricted in size. I can only assume that at this time homebrew apps have no option to install elsewhere for whatever reason. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that point. Anyways so what is happening is when this space fills up and the pre needs that space for other things it provides the feedback through the error about it. However this confuses people because they still see tons of space available. However this var folder does not have access to all of that space. Obviously one does not want all their space used up by temp files which is basically the reason why the var folder is restricted in size. And since nothing is meant to reside there long term under normal use it likely never runs into a situation where there isn't space available for the temp use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    This has been mentioned many times by others and myself so I'll give it another go...

All of the "homebrew" applications install in the same-way as they would if you were a developer. They install into a directory that has limited amount of space. When you install too many apps into this directory (it was never meant for that), you'll get these errors.

You see, "real" applications each get their own "directory".

So, until the homebrew community changes the way they install applications, you're going to run into this quite often as the more applications become available.
    I don't believe this is true. All applications right now are going into either /var or root. /var has 248MB total, and root has 441.7MB. However, most of root is filled with the operating system--mine has only 62.6MB available. My /var has 142.1MB available. So /var is where we want the apps to go. It's still limited. If you have command line access to your Pre, you can see this by executing the command "df -h". That command shows you that there are a number of partitions to the storage. The big ones are mounted as root, /var, and /media/internal.

There is a workaround being talked about in a different thread to establish a folder under /var that is a symbolic link to /media/internal, which is where the big storage is (mine is 6.7GB). The symbolic link effectively allows you to install apps up to the limits of your memory. But this is a workaround, and it could potentially cause other issues that we're not aware of. I'll see if I can find the thread. I haven't looked at it in a week or so.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    So, where are apps from the App Catalog installed?
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    So, where are apps from the App Catalog installed?
    The same though it sounds like this is something that shouldn't have been done based on what the folder is meant to be used for. Preinstalled apps are in the /usr/palm/applications/ folder from root and it seems to me that this is where all apps should be installed to. Where as app catalog apps and homebrew apps are being stored in /var/usr/palm/applications/

I'm guessing that perhaps there is something in the code that when installing official apps it expands the size of var when it runs low though I may be giving them too much credit. I don't think there is enough known info at the moment to know for sure what palm intends to happen when that space gets full from installing stuff from the official app catalog.