Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    Seems like my ringer buttons no longer work. Got my Pre about a week ago. It's been rooted and I've installed a bunch of apps and such but I'm 99% sure its a physical problem with the switch...

    Notification that the ringer is off is permanently there. Reboot fixes it for a little while, then its back. Real pain.

    Any suggestions? Or has anyone experienced a similar...manufacturing defect? Everything else about the phone is great and I've already pre-ordered an extended battery from Seidio so I'd like to keep the phone.
  2. #2  
    From your post, I gathered that the ringer switch on the side of the Pre input into the phone is unresponsive, therefore the phone is stuck on your previous setting which is silent.

    If you really wish to save your phone, then send it to the doctor to rule out any software issues. You could've corrupted the ringer software somehow. If that doesn't work, then you will have to claim hardware failure to Sprint and get a new one.

    My question is what does pre-ordering the battery have to do with keeping the phone?
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the response. I just did a full erase and broke out the WebOSDoc. No dice. I figured as much since I haven't modified any ringers (rooted for tethering).

    Headed back to the Sprint store tomorrow for the...4th or 5th time in the last 9 days, and hopefully coming back with a functioning Pre. I also learned, when I was trying to split my phone plan off from my dad's, that my SSN is already in Sprint's database under someone else's name (probably a typo since my credit is fine). This apparently means i must fill out a bunch of paperwork to resolve the issue.

    I love the phone and everything and don't feel like dealing with a return since seidio apparently started shipping batteries in limited supply. Needless to say, the battery order is the least of my reasons for wanting to keep the phone. I think most of the posters around here, less the trolls, know why from their experience, too - it's otherwise a damn good little device.
  4. #4  
    I hope all goes well at the store. Seems like you're just caught in a never ending cycle of issues, but you are very calm about it.

    Enjoy the Pre
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcrook View Post
    Seems like my ringer buttons no longer work. Got my Pre about a week ago. It's been rooted and I've installed a bunch of apps and such but I'm 99% sure its a physical problem with the switch...

    Notification that the ringer is off is permanently there. Reboot fixes it for a little while, then its back. Real pain.

    Any suggestions? Or has anyone experienced a similar...manufacturing defect? Everything else about the phone is great and I've already pre-ordered an extended battery from Seidio so I'd like to keep the phone.
    My pre is doing the same thing. The volume bar is stuck on the bottom of the screen and the buttons dont turn the sound up or down.

    I went to a sprint store and they did a reset for me which didnt fix the problem so they put in a order for a new phone
  6.    #6  
    Hit the Sprint store today and apparently the mall near me had recently suffered a power outage and their computer system was still down. A tech pried the button up (I had actually removed the plastic cover which didn't help, so I figured his dabbling wouldn't fix it). It was fine for a little, as usual, and then went back to being stuck. I asked them if they would take down my info on paper to order me a replacement when their computers came back up and they refused, so I need to return to my lovely local Sprint store for the...7th time in 2 weeks?

    Completely absurd. I just hope that the next phone I get doesn't have any more problems than this one...
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcrook View Post
    Hit the Sprint store today and apparently the mall near me had recently suffered a power outage and their computer system was still down. A tech pried the button up (I had actually removed the plastic cover which didn't help, so I figured his dabbling wouldn't fix it). It was fine for a little, as usual, and then went back to being stuck. I asked them if they would take down my info on paper to order me a replacement when their computers came back up and they refused, so I need to return to my lovely local Sprint store for the...7th time in 2 weeks?

    Completely absurd. I just hope that the next phone I get doesn't have any more problems than this one...
    I'm only on my first Pre. Despite a little light discoloration, it's perfect. I'm willing to settle for this small flaw. I hope your local Sprint store will give you more help this time.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by krisnicaj View Post
    My pre is doing the same thing. The volume bar is stuck on the bottom of the screen and the buttons dont turn the sound up or down.

    I went to a sprint store and they did a reset for me which didnt fix the problem so they put in a order for a new phone
    Glad to see that they could send a replacement, but the OP has his ringer button broken, not volume button. Similar issues should require similar solutions, right?
  9.    #9  
    After playing around with my Pre a bit more, it seems that its definitely a hardware issue. I found that I can get the ringer notification to disappear by turning the phone on the edge with the ringer switch and tapping the side with the power connector. I assume this dislodges the connection inside the microswitch which is messed up/too sensitive. Doing the opposite will bring the problem back.

    I'm glad I'm able to reproduce the problem....
  10.    #10  
    Hit the Sprint store today and got a new phone but had to pay the $35 restock fee because I left my charger at a buddy's place in another city. Last Pre was build date 7/20/09. This one is 7/7/09. Buttons feel different (kinda crappy) compared to the last one but maybe that means they're different and hopefully less defective. Slight Oreo effect on this phone - the old one had no give in the slider when open.

    Hoping for the best, but not particularly excited...

    Anyone else have a 7/7 build? If so, whats the quality like?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions