1.    #1  
    In spite of all the complaining and gnashing of teeth, both from Pre owers and Those Repsonsible for Only Lamenting Lackings in the Pre - Can anyone list any other device that has been introduced with a new OS, and had over 130 apps within the first 60 days?
    Last edited by hparsons; 08/02/2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: I initially wrote 30 days, meant 60 days.
    I don't know if the iPhone did, but I know once the allowed user-created fart apps to be in the store the population grew 30 fold.
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sCartoon View Post
    I don't know if the iPhone did, but I know once the allowed user-created fart apps to be in the store the population grew 30 fold.
    The iPhone didn't get the App Store for at least a year? (Apple fanboys correct me if I am wrong)
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    The iPhone didn't get the App Store for at least a year? (Apple fanboys correct me if I am wrong)
    this is true... but unfortunately it's now two years later and a whole different ballgame. All the major players have app stores now, when the iPhone was released there was nothing like it out there, nor an app store.
    This signature for rent
  5.    #5  
    Back on topic, to my original question.

Any other device achieve this?
    I know Android launched with 50+, I dunno how much they got after 60 days, will have to find out.
    iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, every Android phone after the G1, every Palm phone before the Pre, every Blackberry in the last year or two, etc.

Silly question.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Can anyone list any other device that has been introduced with a new OS, and had over 130 apps within the first 60 days?
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, every Android phone after the G1, every Palm phone before the Pre, every Blackberry in the last year or two, etc.

Silly question.
    You did notice the "new OS", right? Or are you simply so anxious to blast the Pre at every opportunity, and advance ever other phone, that you just jump into every thread with your nonsense? It wasn't the question that was silly, it was one particular reader...

The iPhone 3G and iPhone 3gs was not a new OS, it was an upgrade. Same thing for all of the other devices you mentioned.

• How many apps were available 60 days out for the original iPhone?
    • How about the original G1 (we've at least got someone willing to answer that one at release, and is checking into 60 days out, that might actually be a contender)
    • The Palm wasn't a new OS, so it doesn't count. There were not 130+ apps out for the Palm Pilot 60 days out. I was there (though I didn't own one, I was watching close).
    • I was there for the BB as well (again, not an owner, but I supported them). Same thing, < 130

For reasonable folks, I'll ask again.

Any new phone, with a new OS that has had 130+ apps available the first 60 days?

The Pre definitely has its shortcomings, but in spite of a very few vocal folks on this forum, there are some aspects of it that are not only going well, but going well when measured against other similar devices.
    Sorry, didn't realize you were phrasing things just to give the Pre a technical "win." I thought for a moment you were asking a serious question about reality and not simply contriving an artificial question to make yourself feel good.
  10.    #10  
    Sorry, didn't realize you were phrasing things just to give the Pre a technical "win." I thought for a moment you were asking a serious question about reality and not simply contriving an artificial question to make yourself feel good.
    Yeah, right. I'm "contriving" the thread. Actually, what I'm doing is comparing a brand new OS on a brand new phone to other brand new OS's on other brand new phones.

Only to folks like you would that be "contriving". Of course the Pre won't have as many apps as a system that's been out 2 years or 12 years. However, anyone that buys a device buys it, in part, because of it's promise. No matter how many current applications are out for a device, its value goes way down as soon as the mfg announces it's discontinued. That's because people don't only want what it will do now, but what it can do in the future.

That's where the Pre kicks **** - its potential.

I'm sorry this wasn't another opportunity for you to bash it, but just because you're not capable of following the conversation or interested in doing so, doesn't make it silly, lacking in reality, or even (and this one is really funny) an attempt to make me "feel good."

The fact that 130 apps came out in 60 days for a brand new device with a brand new operating system is significant. I know it doesn't fit your agenda, but it's still significant.

Finally, you seem to have something of an inflated ego if you believe your opinion about my device determines how I feel.

Wow.
    The question asked may be a tad biased because hparsons likes the Pre, but that doesn't mean that the Pre is not a success or notched a "technical win" as you call it. Also, odd as it might sound after some of the rounds I have gone with hparsons, I agree with him on two points. One, the Pre has done really well with only 60 days in the marketplace, and two, you seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder. I'm just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbandit View Post
    this is true... but unfortunately it's now two years later and a whole different ballgame. All the major players have app stores now, when the iPhone was released there was nothing like it out there, nor an app store.
    REALLY?! Maybe not called the "App Store", but with my Palm Treo 650 (and previous Palm PDAs) I could go to websites like Handmark and Download.com and freewarepalm.com and get all kinds of apps...a lot more available than on the current app store.

I love some of the apps I get off the app store (I use them on my ipod touch), But to think that Apple invented the app store is wrong.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    One, the Pre has done really well with only 60 days in the marketplace, and two, you seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder. I'm just sayin'.
    And I still haven't seen anyone name another device to have done so... though I will admit it looks like the Android may be in the running.

Pretty good "crowd" to run with, in my opinion.