1.    #1  
    During my drive from work I began to wonder how I could setup my Palm Pre in my car so that it could visually face me while driving for GPS, text visual (since I play with music loud, I can't hear the notification sound), and other aspects.

I was thinking of attaching magnets to the inside of the back cover of the existing Touchstone to make sure that the phone wouldn't fall on any sudden movements. I could then attach magnets to the inside of the dash in my car.

Now this is all theory so I'm not entirely sure of it's effectiveness or potential problems such as credit card wipes from the magnets (via wallet and Pre in the same pocket), USB drives, or anything else.

After reading How to Magnetize Your Phone with Rare Earth Magnets, it gave me something to start with. I would have to experiment with the size of the magnets.

What do you guys think? I'm sick of putting the phone in my cup holder or lap (it's already fallen out of the car once from this).
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I would think that if you add any magnets, you will make the TS inoperative.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmackay View Post
    How so? So long as they're properly positioned and oriented, I can't see the Touchstone being able to tell the difference.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmackay View Post
    The magnets are only there to hold the Pre in place. My toothbrush has zero magnets and charges fine.

On a side note, I've had the touchstone battery door on my Pre for a month and my Pre is now 100% cancer free! Magnets FTW.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    This is what I did -

I bought a TS cover, then I found an old swivel clip case. Removed the clip and took some double-sided adhesive tape and taped it to the original Pre back cover.

RadioShack sells the dashboard mount. Went ahead and stuck that with the same tape on my dashboard.

Whenever I am getting in/out of my car, I switch the covers.

I took pictures but I have less than 10 posts.
    If you get some you should get them from this guy - he has great customer service and a really good selection.

I ordered these part numbers but they haven't come in yet:
    D1057A4
    D1021A

You can get them here: List of Neodymium Disc Magnets SuperMagnetMan Magnets Disc Magnets
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jboucicaut View Post
    This is what I did -

I bought a TS cover, then I found an old swivel clip case. Removed the clip and took some double-sided adhesive tape and taped it to the original Pre back cover.

RadioShack sells the dashboard mount. Went ahead and stuck that with the same tape on my dashboard.

Whenever I am getting in/out of my car, I switch the covers.

I took pictures but I have less than 10 posts.
    Unique idea, but I'm not willing to constantly change back covers. I think the next opportunity I get, I will find some compatible magnets and experiment with this some. I'm also worried about any additional magnets on the Pre affecting the pull on the Touchstone. I'm afraid I won't be able to pull it off the charger.
    I was thinking about doing this exactly seeing as the touchstone cover is already magnatized. I will probably order from american science and surplus
    Last edited by windzilla; 08/02/2009 at 10:00 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I found this and ordered it from Amazon for about $20.
    iGrip Universal Fit Cigarette Lighter Mount for Palm Pre. The Mount is already Magnetized.I thinking that I will have the choice to mount the TS on it or more probably just mount the Pre on it directly. It should be very convenient to add of remove , both the mount and the phone. I use my after market under dash XM Receiver AUX port to get to car speakers. With my Centro, I listed to Audible Books, and when a call came in I could get call on my car speakers and just used Centro phone mic to talk........Worked great.

Here's the link

Amazon.com: iGRIP MagnaTec phone holder with cigarette lighter mount*(all phones): Cell Phones & Service

I had a custom iGrip 650 Fit cigarette mount and it was GREAT.

Never found one for the Centro, although I would have purchased this if I had seen it. It appears to have a very slim profile as opposed to the Universal iGrip, which what I like about this type.

I like the Cigarette Mount as you don't have to attach anything to the vehicle and it can be hidden easily. Also you can easily set it up to be highly visible.
    I have now had this mount for a week and just place the PRE on it with TS Cover. I do not think I will try and mount the TS on it. When I have been using GPS, I have just plugged in the Car AC Adapter. Very Pleased with the set up!
    S I D E B A R!!!!!!!

Ok I have a question I just got a palm pre and i'm really inexperienced with doing all this technical stuff but I saw this prebrew installer thing so I downloaded it onto my computer and everything is running fine and i put the app mynotifications on my phone that was simple but now it seems as though i can't get any of the sounds for my original notifications to work and the mynotifications app isnt working either so what do i do i'm stuck?!?! And also i'm planning on deleting prebrew will that damage the computer?
    :Answers and help would be very much appreciated.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for the tip. Seems wonderful, but I'm still interested in this DIY. I just like moding things and doing them myself for some reason.

Also looking at http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BX0X02

hmm...
    What about something like this for the car?

DealExtreme: $8.83 Car Portable Device/Gadget Holder and Windshield Mount

They have a whole page of different holders at DealExtreme: Cellphone & Device Holders (Page 1)

...most are under $10 with free shipping (but the shipping is slow: they ship from Hong Kong...I think)

F
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
    This looks really cool. Let us know what you come up with. I think the magnets will have to be penny-size (approx 1/16") or less. The Rare Earth ones described in the initial article are about that thick. The author used two but I had a hard time getting the back reattached with two pennies in there. I'd be nervous about the back popping off. (Or rather, the Pre popping off and falling to the ground while the back remained tightly attached to whatever surface I'd stuck it to.)
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    This looks really cool. Let us know what you come up with. I think the magnets will have to be penny-size (approx 1/16") or less. The Rare Earth ones described in the initial article are about that thick. The author used two but I had a hard time getting the back reattached with two pennies in there. I'd be nervous about the back popping off. (Or rather, the Pre popping off and falling to the ground while the back remained tightly attached to whatever surface I'd stuck it to.)
    One penny is 1/16" in height, but it's .75" in diameter IIRC. The magnets used in that article were .5" in diameter and roughly 1/16" thick. So yeah, two pennies are significantly larger.