Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yesterday I had an unfortunate accident of dropping my pre. It only dropped a matter of two feet since I was on my hands and knee fixing something for work.

Anyways, it happened to hit the ground directly on the corner of the power button. It now does not press in and has to be squeezed extremely hard to be put into sleep mode or to turn off.

Now, is it possible for me to bring my phone to a Sprint Store to get it fixed? I am pass my 30 days with my sprint service (switched over on June 10th), so I am not exactly sure how to go about this.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    If you have the insurance take it in to a service and repair store (Sprint of course) and see if they will replace it. If it is obvious that it was dropped that's a $100 deductable (and that's only if you have the TEP insurence.)
    This has happened to me once... i started taping on like i'm playing contra... and then it went back to "normal"...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoton View Post
    If you have the insurance take it in to a service and repair store (Sprint of course) and see if they will replace it. If it is obvious that it was dropped that's a $100 deductable (and that's only if you have the TEP insurence.)
    Thanks for the reply.... Surprisingly, there isn't much of a scuff mark to show that it was dropped, but if they determined its a hardware issue with the button itself, would they replace it or try to fix it themselves? I do have the $100 insurance, but don't have the money to put in the claim...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    This has happened to me once... i started taping on like i'm playing contra... and then it went back to "normal"...
    I tried prying it out, it seems like the button that presses down hits whatever to make it go into the different modes, that the inner button is stuck...its hard to explain, but I will try your method antonio, and see what happens
    Try and determine what is exactly causing the issue. If you can't fix it, then return it to the store and claim it as a hardware defect. You should get a replacement. Worst case scenario would be to pay the $100 deductible if they happen to have evidence that you dropped it.

Good luck
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Try and determine what is exactly causing the issue. If you can't fix it, then return it to the store and claim it as a hardware defect. You should get a replacement. Worst case scenario would be to pay the $100 deductible if they happen to have evidence that you dropped it.

Good luck
    Thanks Abyssul....

Since I am new to Sprint, should I call them up or go directly to a service center?
    I would just go to your local Sprint store for convenience. I find it harder to tell a person "no" in person than over the phone. Also, you might be able to get a replacement on the spot instead of being shipped to you (via phone).

Just make sure you have a logical and solid story so you don't give them reason to be suspicious. Walk in, claim hardware failure, get new Pre.

Hint: Use the Thanks button
  9.    #9  
    I would just go to your local Sprint store for convenience. I find it harder to tell a person "no" in person than over the phone. Also, you might be able to get a replacement on the spot instead of being shipped to you (via phone).

Just make sure you have a logical and solid story so you don't give them reason to be suspicious. Walk in, claim hardware failure, get new Pre.

I will give it a try. We shall see what happens tomorrow

Well said, Abyssul. I think that's the best advice. Here's my power button story...

At first, I didn't have any problems. But, after a week or so, I noticed the power button was getting "squishy". It started loosing the softish "click" when depressed, but it would still power the screen on/off. Then, after week two, it got worse. The button would work every 2nd or 3rd push. Finally, after about 3 weeks, the button stopped working completely.

I was still within 30 days of purchase, so I took it to my local sprint store and they replaced it without hesitation. The store manager looked over the phone (no damage) and pressed the non-functioning button and said, "Yep, this one's defective. Let's get you a new one."

I know it's not the exact same situation as yours, but I thought I'd share for what it's worth. Good luck.

- Doug
    Treo300>600>650>755p>Pre
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I dropped mine just like you man, I went into sprint and it was only my 5th day with it. No dice. Replace or deal with it is what they said, the phone still "works" fine so i'm just dealing with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougDarden View Post
    Well said, Abyssul. I think that's the best advice. Here's my power button story...

At first, I didn't have any problems. But, after a week or so, I noticed the power button was getting "squishy". It started loosing the softish "click" when depressed, but it would still power the screen on/off. Then, after week two, it got worse. The button would work every 2nd or 3rd push. Finally, after about 3 weeks, the button stopped working completely.

I was still within 30 days of purchase, so I took it to my local sprint store and they replaced it without hesitation. The store manager looked over the phone (no damage) and pressed the non-functioning button and said, "Yep, this one's defective. Let's get you a new one."

I know it's not the exact same situation as yours, but I thought I'd share for what it's worth. Good luck.

- Doug
    My power button quit working too. Can't take it back tho. Guess I'll have to go thru insurance
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I just took mine in Sat because the power button stopped working. It was a sprint corp store/repair center. They can't fix the power button so they said they would order me a Pre. I'm past my 30 days but they didn't give me any problems so i would just go to a local store. I would think they will just give you or order you a new phone.
  14.    #14  
    Went down to a service repair shop for Sprint and explained to the guy working there what happened.

He took my phone to his higher ups behind the window to take a look at it. The guy then brought me back my phone and said that I had to go through the insurance cause it was "physical damage"

I proceeded to talk to the guy behind the window and said that I hadn't dropped it "even though I did" and that it was not like I was bringing in a broken screen. Plus, he also mentioned that my problem is not a "widespread issue" and they only replace pre's that have common issues." He then said that I might as well brought in a broken screen, and that if I would like to talk to a manager, go ahead.

I spoke with the Assistant manager and told her my story, and how happy I was with the phone and with sprint, and how the phone should have held up after two months. She then said as a "courtesy" she would order me a new phone and to pick it up in two days.

So after all of that, I was able to get one. Hopefully they won't give me the run around.

And for those who say it was wrong for me to lie, I think the phone, even if dropped, should hold up a lot sturdier even being dropped from a two foot height.
    Last edited by Nitraine21; 08/05/2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something
  15.    #15  
    Received the new phone, seems sturdier and much better build. The only thing I was upset with was that when updating the phone, it does not transfer over music and videos, as well as photos.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitraine21 View Post
    I will give it a try. We shall see what happens tomorrow
    This is what I would do. If you don't have the insurance call sprint from your Pre and get it. They'll see you obviously can call from your phone and they'l add it... It's what I did 2-3 weeks ago. Now my power button isn't working, went into Sprint repair store, told them it wasn't working AND ALSO THE PHONE WAS EXPERIANCING THE INFAMOS OREO EFFECT. Sorry for the cap's but simply mean to stress the oreo effect over the power button. Mine will be in on Monday...
    Same thing basically with me. I actually dropped my pre when I was drunk last weekend. The next day I noticed the power button didn't work unless I pressed it super hard. I decided to go to the sprint store yesterday. They didn't even ask if I dropped it. (even though there is a pretty big gash in the top now) They just gave me a new one on the spot. Very nice.
    this is a real easy one folks:

1. get a small screw driver flat head (1x16)
    2. from the back of the device put the driver under the button and just pop it off, real gently. (rock it side to side)
    3. examine the button inside, press it, check it
    4. the plastic middle deppressor piece gets bent (im talking milimeters) which causes it not to contact the actual button, bend it straight again.
    5. put the plastic piece back in, and your done

i like mine and it saved me time ordering a new one
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I had similar problem. The button would work, but it was difficult to depress, and its movement was very small.

I used some canned air to hopefully blow out anything that was caught underneath....and it worked. All back to normal now.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHO_ONE View Post
    This is what I would do. If you don't have the insurance call sprint from your Pre and get it. They'll see you obviously can call from your phone and they'l add it... It's what I did 2-3 weeks ago. Now my power button isn't working, went into Sprint repair store, told them it wasn't working AND ALSO THE PHONE WAS EXPERIANCING THE INFAMOS OREO EFFECT. Sorry for the cap's but simply mean to stress the oreo effect over the power button. Mine will be in on Monday...
    When I bought my Pre on launch day the Sprint rep told me that if I wanted the insurance I had to buy it on the spot. She said I could cancel it at any time later but I could only get it if I bought it that day. Was I mislead? I intended on buying the insurance anyway since my corporate discount more than made up for the extra $7/month but I'm now kind of ticked I was lied to about needing to buy the insurance that day.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast