Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    so i went checked my email before i went to bed and my power button was working fine... woke up in the morning and the springing action on the power button wasn't workiing...

I use the power button to turn the screen on and off since I have a long stand by time... I NEED to get this fixed. If I have it replaced, this will be Pre #4!
    Quote Originally Posted by teej51685 View Post
    When I bought my Pre on launch day the Sprint rep told me that if I wanted the insurance I had to buy it on the spot. She said I could cancel it at any time later but I could only get it if I bought it that day. Was I mislead? I intended on buying the insurance anyway since my corporate discount more than made up for the extra $7/month but I'm now kind of ticked I was lied to about needing to buy the insurance that day.
    you have 30 days to buy it from activation date
  3. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvest View Post
    this is a real easy one folks:

1. get a small screw driver flat head (1x16)
    2. from the back of the device put the driver under the button and just pop it off, real gently. (rock it side to side)
    3. examine the button inside, press it, check it
    4. the plastic middle deppressor piece gets bent (im talking milimeters) which causes it not to contact the actual button, bend it straight again.
    5. put the plastic piece back in, and your done

i like mine and it saved me time ordering a new one
    This helped a lot - thanks! I couldn't actually straighten the button (didn't want to force it) but I also read about putting a small piece of paper between the plastic button and the button inside the phone. Not perfect but at least it worked 90% of the time now...
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    My power button stopped working after a three months. I bought the phone over ebay but I guess it originally came from Sprint as they gave me a refurb without an issue. The new phone has an Oreo effect though while the first one was much sturdier. They wouldn't give me another phone for that. Ohh well.
    Originally Posted by Harvest View Post
    this is a real easy one folks:

1. get a small screw driver flat head (1x16)
    2. from the back of the device put the driver under the button and just pop it off, real gently. (rock it side to side)
    3. examine the button inside, press it, check it
    4. the plastic middle deppressor piece gets bent (im talking milimeters) which causes it not to contact the actual button, bend it straight again.
    5. put the plastic piece back in, and your done

i like mine and it saved me time ordering a new one

Quote Originally Posted by Vij View Post
    This helped a lot - thanks! I couldn't actually straighten the button (didn't want to force it) but I also read about putting a small piece of paper between the plastic button and the button inside the phone. Not perfect but at least it worked 90% of the time now...
    This happened to me too but the fix worked great - thanks!
    My power button was depressed today. At first, i put two thin pieces on tape. It worked, but I didn't like the non-responsiveness feel. I don't recommend tape (now) though because it can pull the depresser out! Next, I cut a very very very thin piece of rubber and placed it top to bottom. When you put the black button back on, the piece of rubber sits between the three pins. Now, it works great 100% and I get the responsiveness as before. If it presents issues and I have to doctor my phone, I will see if I can swap it at Sprint, but for the mean time, I am happy.
    Had same power button issue as "Harvest". Pull off the battery cover, some fine tweezer are easily used to pop off the button. I tried bending back the button as suggested. After a few unsuccessful attempts and an unwillingness for fear of breakage to put any more force on the center pin of the button...I added three layers of Kapton tape on the surface near the back side. This helps push the center tap of the button forward.

To check if this solution will work for you, try pushing on the metal button with a ballpoint button that will be visible once you remove the plastic power button. If your phone functions normally, then it is just an issue with the plastic button. Otherwise, probably needs to go in for service.
    Showing this old thread that deals with power button issues. Over a year ago my daughter dropped her Pre and broke the power button and she used this thread to fix her Pre, the power button still is working fine still. Here it is:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...utton-fix.html
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12