Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I bought one of those Sprint car chargers off of wirelesshunt.com and the sucker doesn't even work. Been thinking about the Palm USB car charger, but not sure if I wanna dish out $20, especially with the mixed reviews about not charging while running apps.

The only reason I want a car charger is because I'm gonna be making an almost 5-hour drive to Chicago and back. So here's my new solution.

I'm gonna keep my laptop in the front seat and on. It'll last about 3-hours on full charge. I plug in my Pre via USB and bam, my phone charges w/o any problems and I can run all the apps I want. Obviously, I'll only bust it out when I really need to, but I've at least found a solution!

I'm testing it out now, my laptop running on battery and my pre is charging at a pretty decent pace!
    most Laptops only put out 500ma just like the charger you most likely got so that might not help that much.

I got the Palm charger and it runs the TouchStone just fine. but another thing you could get is a Small Inverter and just use the charger that came with the Phone.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNoPrince View Post
    most Laptops only put out 500ma just like the charger you most likely got so that might not help that much.

I got the Palm charger and it runs the TouchStone just fine. but another thing you could get is a Small Inverter and just use the charger that came with the Phone.
    A small invertor? What's that? Just the actual cig lighter plug?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Why not pick up a car charger from Walmart? I got a razr version for $12 and it works nicely. Just make sure it's microusb.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    Why not pick up a car charger from Walmart? I got a razr version for $12 and it works nicely. Just make sure it's microusb.
    Oh really? Does it get hot when you run other applications?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNoPrince View Post

Ok, looked it up and it seems like a great idea -- getting an inverter, something I'd be able to use with any phone in the future. Thanks a lot for this idea! I really don't need a car charger on a daily basis since I walk to work and I'm usually able to keep the phone topped off ... but on these long trips, an inverter definitely would come in handy, since I'd be able to use it to charge my laptop or even keep it charged if, for some reason, I had to use it.

Any advice on how powerful of an inverter I'd need to get?
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Just for the phone, it needs to be 5watts but I doubt you can even find one that small. If I were you, buy one that can run your laptop too. Just look at the sticker on the computer power supply to determine what power it needs...prob around 90W or less if your laptop is small.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    After trying a couple of car chargers with the touchstone I gave up and used a small power inverter. Luckily I had one laying around.

I just have it tucked under the seat (and plugged in to the hidden plug in the center pocket). Works great.

I did have to modify an old AC to USB wall adapter to work with the Touchstone (I popped the cover and shorted the two middle pins on the USB jack). But I could have just used the Pre's original AC adapter.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by MadSci625 View Post
    Just for the phone, it needs to be 5watts but I doubt you can even find one that small. If I were you, buy one that can run your laptop too. Just look at the sticker on the computer power supply to determine what power it needs...prob around 90W or less if your laptop is small.
    I've been reading that the max power you're gonna get through a car cig lighter is 120w max, so definitely no need to go above that... I've been reading some reviews on Amazon.com about the various inverters and how they won't charge a cell phone when plugged into the USB port; but that they charge just fine when plugged into the prong-outlet.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    I bought a Cellet car charger for $4 at Frys. Sometimes I have to turn the phone on and off before it charges, but otherwise, it works fine.

Being me has its advantages.

-- Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
    % #")6$3 & 10 dollar one from a gas station and it charges fine if when I plug it in my phone is in standby or sleeping. And I run gps, music, text and sometimes internet and it runs fine!
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Buy the motorola micro usb car charger from amazon or ebay.
    Works great
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by corolla90 View Post
    Oh really? Does it get hot when you run other applications?
    It does not.
    sorry it took so long to get back but yes any small inverter should work if you want too use it for the Lap then check that like PP stated.

Yes there are many of other devises out there that will work the problem is if they don't and damage your Phone you have to go through the hassle of getting another one.
    Try using this with the OEM USB cable, and let us know if it works:

Black USB Car Charger for Apple iPhone 3G iPhone 3GS.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Buy the motorola micro usb car charger from amazon or ebay.
    Works great
    I am using this charger with the Touchstone in my car. Works great but can have problems keeping up with Sprint NAV.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I bought the Sprint car charger and yes paid a lot for it, but it works perfectly. I had another Rockfish and it did not work well or keep up with charging while the GPS is on. The connection was not good and many time I had to unplug and plug to get it charging again.

I decided to go with the Sprint car charger, because I wanted it to work and it does. Well worth the extra bucks.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I think a 100watt inverter that should power any laptop AC adapter is about 20 bucks at Walmart. Plus the utility from having it is irreplaceable.

It would also allow you to run your home wall charger in your car.

Walmart.com: Black & Decker 100W Power Inverter: Home Improvement

This one from Black and Decker (who acquired Vector I believe?) also sports a USB port. no idea what the output is but at least it has some kind of direct USB charging ability.

Touchstone!!!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    Try using this with the OEM USB cable, and let us know if it works:

Black USB Car Charger for Apple iPhone 3G iPhone 3GS.
    That's a pretty good deal for $2 on special, especially including shipping. However If that photo is to be believed then my thoughts on that adapter from Meritline are:

1. It is only 500ma output
    2. It is the same 500ma beast that Monoprice sells
    3. It ships in 2-5 days from time of order via Hong Kong Post meaning you get it in about 10 working days on top of order process time - so about 2 weeks.

500ma may not be enough to charge and run Telenav at the same time, I have no idea, perhaps others are more up on how much minimum rated amperage you need ot pull this off.

The 1000ma / 1 amp version from Monoprice for about $2.50-$2.60 shipped:

For only $0.83 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black | Car Charger Accessories

1. 1000ma
    2. Ships domestically, arrives in about 3 working days after day of order
    3. I have two and can confirm they work fine, pins 2 and 3 are already bridged at factory so these bring up the charge indicator on the phone immediately. 500ma version probably is bridged as well but not sure if it has enough oomph to work.

a 3 foot micro USB cable from monoprice adds about a buck to the order including shipping.

Regardless, I have one of the Black and Decker inverters for laptop use and it works great. Have not tried the USB port with the Pre yet though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast