Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    That's a pretty good deal for $2 on special, especially including shipping. However If that photo is to be believed then my thoughts on that adapter from Meritline are:

1. It is only 500ma output
    2. It is the same 500ma beast that Monoprice sells
    3. It ships in 2-5 days from time of order via Hong Kong Post meaning you get it in about 10 working days on top of order process time - so about 2 weeks.

500ma may not be enough to charge and run Telenav at the same time, I have no idea, perhaps others are more up on how much minimum rated amperage you need ot pull this off.

The 1000ma / 1 amp version from Monoprice for about $2.50-$2.60 shipped:

For only $0.83 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black | Car Charger Accessories

1. 1000ma
    2. Ships domestically, arrives in about 3 working days after day of order
    3. I have two and can confirm they work fine, pins 2 and 3 are already bridged at factory so these bring up the charge indicator on the phone immediately. 500ma version probably is bridged as well but not sure if it has enough oomph to work.

a 3 foot micro USB cable from monoprice adds about a buck to the order including shipping.

Regardless, I have one of the Black and Decker inverters for laptop use and it works great. Have not tried the USB port with the Pre yet though.
    I have the monoprice setup and it doesnt work. I would save your $4 (the cable works fine). I now use the Palm Vehicle Charger from precentral store.
    An inverter? how about spending $5 for a generic USB auto charger? USB output is standard. Based on that, any USB power supply at 500ma should work.

I got an AC kit and auto kit for a whole $12 from Amazon. Both work great and my wife can use the auto kit for her LG Lotus, too. An invertor and then an AC setup seems like a lot of extra just to charge it in a car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Major.Malfunction View Post
    An inverter? how about spending $5 for a generic USB auto charger? USB output is standard. Based on that, any USB power supply at 500ma should work.

I got an AC kit and auto kit for a whole $12 from Amazon. Both work great and my wife can use the auto kit for her LG Lotus, too. An invertor and then an AC setup seems like a lot of extra just to charge it in a car.
    sorry but 500ma will NOT run the touchstone it needs 1a and it's been the entire discussion in this thread.

The new standard for USB will be 1a and on newer computers it will have a small lightning bolt next to the port.
    I have a power inverter, and use it all the time for laptops. It is a little more bulky in the car, though, and a car charger is a better option if a good one is available for a decent price. I got a $10 Sprint one from ebay, but it doesn't always work. Sometimes it shows it is charging and sometimes it does not. I can't figure out why.

Anyway, Meritline has some 1000 ma car USB adapters for $4.99 and $5.99, too. I ordered the $1.99 one and will use it with the OEM USB cable. If it doesn't work, I will upgrade (maybe to your $2.50 unit from Monoprice, can't beat that), but since they claim it will work with iPod, it ought to put out enough juice to work with Pre, too. We shall see.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    If you are using a 12V power inverter and the wall plug method then you only need 5W of output which is well below even the cheapest inverters output. If you are using the USB output on any 12V inverter, they usually only output 500ma which is not powerful enough to run a Touchstone.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12