Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    One thing that really bothers me coming from blackberry and iphone is that when you double tap the space bar, it does not automatically write in a period. This is really useful to me when writing emails. Is there a way to enable this? I've already looked through webos-internal patch list.
    no
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by technoviking View Post
    no
    Thanks a lot.

OP, never used this feature but i think i would like it.
    just in case you haven't notice the period is right beside the space bar why would you need that? same amount of keystrokes. jw we seem to really be digging deep lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKP65 View Post
    just in case you haven't notice the period is right beside the space bar why would you need that? same amount of keystrokes. jw we seem to really be digging deep lol!
    all blackberries do it. it makes it that much easier when sending emails or just texting
    I do not really see this as an issue. What am begininng to notice on this forum, is a lot of comparing of the Pre to other phones. Which is sort of understandable when you think of hardware specs and other thing like batt. life, screen size (I guess this hardware too), etc. But when you begin comparing specific features <b> I believe </b> it becomes to whiny.

In my opinion this dbl. tap for a "." is one of a those features people are complaining about that can be fix w/ people adjusting. I would much rather have dbl. tap space continue to give me 2 spaces, as that is how I have been accustomed typing since I was 12. I can still see all the read marks I got on my first typed paper and my teachers face when she handed it back. Plus that's just an extra button to press w/ the "." sitting right all alone, lol.
    I kno others are coming from devices that do this n that a certain way, and you are used to it. But the Pre is supposed to be a new and different device, right?

If they continued to just take features/options from PREvious devices then there would be less room for innovation from new and young developers try to exact change and different experiences to end user.

I just wrote this reply ( all my others, I think) from my pre. if I had to dbl. tap for a "." each time, I think a would never use punctuation from the phone again. And what type of society would we have with no punctuation....... ?
    20 '.' = 40 taps (23 incld. last line = 46)
    I can see where this feature would be really useful.
    I don't like this feature. Sometimes I need to double space and I get a period ( on my touch). Its annoying because I have to backspace and then continue. So its a extra 5 buttons that I could of avoided.
    Easier than typing a period?
    I came from a BB as well, and for the first few weeks with the Pre I had some issues. You just have to get used to it.

But, the reality is, it is actually easier with the space bar. To properly format your writing you need to put in at least one space anyway so you end up using both the period key and the space bar key between sentences. With the BB method you just hit the space bar twice and you get two spaces and the period.
    I mean really? there is a dedicated '.' button RIGHT next to the space bar, don't be lazy people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug30 View Post
    I mean really? there is a dedicated '.' button RIGHT next to the space bar, don't be lazy people.
    Well, I don't hear anyone complaining about the first letter of a sentence getting auto-Caps, so it's not just "lazy".

As somebody else said, I dont' expect Palm to incorporate every feature of every phone that every person has owned (and have just gotten used to it), but don't knock it until you've tried it.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Why isn't anyone complaining about PC keyboards now then? Wouldn't it be just as easy on a PC to use the spacebar as well?

My thumb seems to move that 1/4" pretty easily, which lets me use a spacebar as a spaced bar and a . key as a . key.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Very very useful shortcut from the berry. The posters talking about laziness are off point. This is a time saver.

That said, if you are not used to it, it may actually be annoying.

On shortcuts, is there a tab function to jump between username and password yet that I just don't know about? I know this question has been asked and at the time, there was not one discovered.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I use to have this on my iPhone, it was annoying so I turned it off. I personally prefer just the dedicated button "." button, but that is just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    Why isn't anyone complaining about PC keyboards now then? Wouldn't it be just as easy on a PC to use the spacebar as well?

My thumb seems to move that 1/4" pretty easily, which lets me use a spacebar as a spaced bar and a . key as a . key.
    It's different. I use all of my fingers on the PC keyboard and only my thumbs on the Pre.
    So apparently all blackberry users are lazy? I guess using the auto-replace on the pre is being lazy too.

Anyway Blackberries have a ton of keyboard shortcuts that made doing things alot more efficient. I miss some of those. Once you learned them you could really do things quickly. Though the pre does have the @ and . right next to the spacebar so this particular feature isn't too missed for me.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dowdyrich View Post
    I do not really see this as an issue. What am begininng to notice on this forum, is a lot of comparing of the Pre to other phones. Which is sort of understandable when you think of hardware specs and other thing like batt. life, screen size (I guess this hardware too), etc. But when you begin comparing specific features <b> I believe </b> it becomes to whiny.

In my opinion this dbl. tap for a "." is one of a those features people are complaining about that can be fix w/ people adjusting. I would much rather have dbl. tap space continue to give me 2 spaces, as that is how I have been accustomed typing since I was 12. I can still see all the read marks I got on my first typed paper and my teachers face when she handed it back. Plus that's just an extra button to press w/ the "." sitting right all alone, lol.
    I kno others are coming from devices that do this n that a certain way, and you are used to it. But the Pre is supposed to be a new and different device, right?

If they continued to just take features/options from PREvious devices then there would be less room for innovation from new and young developers try to exact change and different experiences to end user.

I just wrote this reply ( all my others, I think) from my pre. if I had to dbl. tap for a "." each time, I think a would never use punctuation from the phone again. And what type of society would we have with no punctuation....... ?
    20 '.' = 40 taps (23 incld. last line = 46)
    a) Of course you're going to hear comparison issues. It's a completely new device and operating system that everyone is trying to adjust to. Everyone is trying to help improve their workflow.

b) Having a double tap space for period makes it easier for me to write emails because I don't have to think about it. The way it is now, I have to retrain myself and it costs me more keystrokes because I double tap space, then I have to press delete twice,press the period key then the space key again. Then I have to retrain myself when I move back to my other device. Double tapping the space bar would write a period, then a space so it's the same number of keystrokes but with less movement.

c) Implementing double tap space hardly qualifies as a feature that's going to take away innovation. Blackberry, iPhone and WinMO all do email, so should Palm cut out email because other phones do it? All cell phones make voice calls, maybe Palm should cut that out because it's not innovative and everyone REALLY want games instead

d) You make an argument for multiple periods. How often do you use those? Perhaps once in a while for dramatic effect, but the type of emails I write are for purposes that don't require dramatization. Regardless, in that situation, I've already trained myself on other devices to manually find the period key and hit it. It's all about work flow. I don't want to have to concentrate on the typing aspect of my emails, I want to concentrate on the content of the message.

e) Instead of blasting everyone and acting like an elitist, why not be constructive. Trolling around on forums blasting people must seem really fun to you, but for some of us this phone isn't a toy. Rather, it's a critical communications device that we depend on everyday to get things done. If we can do it in a way that's easiest for us, what does it matter to you? Instead of reading the post and moving on when it didn't interest you, you wasted the time to flame everyone for ridiculous reasons.

You sir, are a mean person and I hope Karma comes back on you and you drop your Pre in a puddle.

Good day to you!
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Well, I don't hear anyone complaining about the first letter of a sentence getting auto-Caps, so it's not just "lazy".

As somebody else said, I dont' expect Palm to incorporate every feature of every phone that every person has owned (and have just gotten used to it), but don't knock it until you've tried it.
    Actually, the auto-caps annoys the CRAP out of me.
    no 'Thanks'
    I will adjust to the period being it's own key, but the one thing my Curve has which I love is holding down a key to caps the letter instead of shifting to get a caps.

That is one feature I wish they would implement.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast