Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 67
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    As english aint my native language im curious if the Pre got the same kind of auto-correct like the Centro?

    Quite annoying for us trying to type in our native language and have the device auto-correct. For instance, when typing a single letter "i" and auto-correct turns into capital letters. If this is the case I wish for a app that lets you edit the auto correct feature or atleast switch it on/off.

    I guess a lot of ppl would be happy with auto-correct preferences tab so that you could make your own settings. Would save a lot of time instead of having to go into the special chars window and scroll down to a particular char.

    For instance, if I type in Swedish I have to access this menu a lot so a editable auto-correct feature would be great and save a lot of time instead of having to scroll for letters like . Im shure its similar with all other non-english countries.
    There is an app to edit how it auto corrects it but you must root your pre. Here it is:

    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post1758363
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    No offense, but proper typing classes have removed the double period many years ago. Not a single one of my college professors wanted the double. Seems like a very limited audience would even want this.
    You mean the double space after the period? I learned how to type this way about 8 years ago and it stuck with me since. It's a little too subtle to notice, IMO.'

    Edit: Wait, wtf. I never knew that forums convert the double space into a single space.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    You mean the double space after the period? I learned how to type this way about 8 years ago and it stuck with me since. It's a little too subtle to notice, IMO.'

    Edit: Wait, wtf. I never knew that forums convert the double space into a single space.
    Yes, the double-space after periods is not proper anymore. I never understood why anyone would do that, but to each their own.
    no 'Thanks'
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Yes, the double-space after periods is not proper anymore. I never understood why anyone would do that, but to each their own.
    Here is why "anyone would do that":

    It is generally accepted that the practice of putting two spaces at the end of a sentence is a carryover from the days of typewriters with monospaced typefaces. Two spaces, it was believed, made it easier to see where one sentence ended and the next began. Most typeset text, both before and after the typewriter, used a single space.
    Web search is your friend!
    One Space or Two Spaces After Punctuation -Rules of Desktop Publishing
  5. #45  
    Although, I support the idea of allowing the user to customize how the device works to better suit their needs or desires, I do not support changing the default behavior of the Pre to mimick a different device that does not have a dedicated period key.

    Why should the Pre change to behave like a BlackBerry? If I get a BlackBerry, will they add a period key for me?
  6. eji930's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Although, I support the idea of allowing the user to customize how the device works to better suit their needs or desires, I do not support changing the default behavior of the Pre to mimick a different device that does not have a dedicated period key.

    Why should the Pre change to behave like a BlackBerry? If I get a BlackBerry, will they add a period key for me?
    Right!~ different phones different softwares specific funtcionts it isnt a "universal" feature on all phones so quite gripping on what the Pre doesnt do like other phones to make it sound inferor its a GREAT new device
  7. ericUT's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
       #47  
    All of you little palm fanboys are COMPLETELY MISSING THE POINT! All I asked for was the option for double tap space. I don't care if you like it or not. That's why I want the option. Just because YOU don't like it, and I had it on my Black berry, doesn't mean I shouldn't get the option to do it. If it helps me type faster, then I want it.

    And everyone both for and against the double-tap for period + space got their math completely wrong. When you type on a Bberry, a double tap on space gives you a period, then a space. So for those keeping track

    To type period then space
    BBerry: Space Space types ". "
    Palm: Period space types ". "

    To type period then double space
    Bberry: Space Space Space types ". "
    Palm: Period space space types ". "

    It's not about reducing keystrokes, it's just something I memorized and just because palm isn't blackberry does not mean that they can't implement some of these ideas that have been around for a while. It's not about Palm trying to copy some useful ideas fro blackberry and apple because they lose originality, it's about Palm implementing some of the techniques to make it easier for NEW users to pick up a Palm without hassle.

    I swear, nothing is more irritating than the massive inferiority complex Palm fanboys have built up over the years.

    Sorry guys if I offended your sensibilities but I want my double tap space. DONE!
  8. cashen's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    #48  
    Wow, some dialog for a simple topic.

    1) The customer wants it. The customer should get it.
    2) There could be a option to have it turned on, please everyone.
    3) I have no idea why i'm using numbers.
  9. eji930's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by postalUT View Post
    All of you little palm fanboys are COMPLETELY MISSING THE POINT! All I asked for was the option for double tap space. I don't care if you like it or not. That's why I want the option. Just because YOU don't like it, and I had it on my Black berry, doesn't mean I shouldn't get the option to do it. If it helps me type faster, then I want it.

    And everyone both for and against the double-tap for period + space got their math completely wrong. When you type on a Bberry, a double tap on space gives you a period, then a space. So for those keeping track

    To type period then space
    BBerry: Space Space types ". "
    Palm: Period space types ". "

    To type period then double space
    Bberry: Space Space Space types ". "
    Palm: Period space space types ". "

    It's not about reducing keystrokes, it's just something I memorized and just because palm isn't blackberry does not mean that they can't implement some of these ideas that have been around for a while. It's not about Palm trying to copy some useful ideas fro blackberry and apple because they lose originality, it's about Palm implementing some of the techniques to make it easier for NEW users to pick up a Palm without hassle.

    I swear, nothing is more irritating than the massive inferiority complex Palm fanboys have built up over the years.

    Sorry guys if I offended your sensibilities but I want my double tap space. DONE!


    While I understand we all want different things in phone features I totally agree with you on that!...What I disagree with is your complaint or concern isn't valid in the sense your asking Palm to do a software update because another phone software enables this ability..YOU choose to buy this phone so id your not satisfied with what IT offeres go back to your Blackberry..The request your wanting isnt a universal feature like "voice calls" sms text " etc..Its like buying a car that say only has a horsepower of 265 but another car has a higher one and you complain..Now if your phone was only having 3 tires instead of the universal 4 then I could understand your issues or complaint as its a needed feature..But face it people all phones do different things and will continue to do so you cant compare apples to oranges!...I mean lets make a thread on why the new blackberry tour doesnt have WIFI and the Palm Does!...now thats a legiitmate issue as wifi has become a STandard in smartphones..bUT as consumers why buy something and then complain about it later? hit the period button on this thread!>.....
  10. ericUT's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
       #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    While I understand we all want different things in phone features I totally agree with you on that!...What I disagree with is your complaint or concern isn't valid in the sense your asking Palm to do a software update because another phone software enables this ability..YOU choose to buy this phone so id your not satisfied with what IT offeres go back to your Blackberry..The request your wanting isnt a universal feature like "voice calls" sms text " etc..Its like buying a car that say only has a horsepower of 265 but another car has a higher one and you complain..Now if your phone was only having 3 tires instead of the universal 4 then I could understand your issues or complaint as its a needed feature..But face it people all phones do different things and will continue to do so you cant compare apples to oranges!...I mean lets make a thread on why the new blackberry tour doesnt have WIFI and the Palm Does!...now thats a legiitmate issue as wifi has become a STandard in smartphones..bUT as consumers why buy something and then complain about it later? hit the period button on this thread!>.....
    That made me LOL. I wasn't complaining so much asking if anyone had figured out a way to do it. What I'm complaining about is everyone whining and moaning because I asked if we could enable a feature that I like from another phone. That's it, that's all. I bought my pre sans contract so I knew better than most what I was getting into. In the mean time, I'm going to work on a double tap to space for those that want it. And if you don't, you don't have to use, but you at least have the option to.
  11. eji930's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by postalUT View Post
    That made me LOL. I wasn't complaining so much asking if anyone had figured out a way to do it. What I'm complaining about is everyone whining and moaning because I asked if we could enable a feature that I like from another phone. That's it, that's all. I bought my pre sans contract so I knew better than most what I was getting into. In the mean time, I'm going to work on a double tap to space for those that want it. And if you don't, you don't have to use, but you at least have the option to.
    ok cool Id love to use it
  12. ksixftfour's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #52  
    There is so much passion regarding the Pre and all of its great features as well as its shortcomings.

    I must say that I could see how if one used this feature previously that it could be missed if it was no longer available. But at the same time I have difficulty understanding for two reasons;
    1. Because I never used that feature
    2. Because I don't see the advantage with the period right next to the spacebar


    But regardless I don't see why it shouldn't or couldn't be a feature that is added as long as it could be turned on/off. And I don't see why it couldn't be done.
  13. ksixftfour's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    Wow, some dialog for a simple topic.

    1) The customer wants it. The customer should get it.
    2) There could be a option to have it turned on, please everyone.
    3) I have no idea why i'm using numbers.
    Thanks for the lol
  14. #54  
    I agree it would be nice to have the option
  15. ericUT's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
       #55  
    Like i said I'll work on it. My first idea was to edit the auto correct library. But there might be a problem if you want to have multiple spaces, it would turn each pair of spaces into a period + space. If anyone has any ideas, PM me.
  16. Loolaw's Avatar
    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    #56  
    Double space for a period may be a nice feature, but the lack of dedicated period key necessitated this work around. Trying to type a period anywhere else in the text is annoying because I have to double key for that as well. I'll take the dedicated key any day, and save keystrokes such as double space to do exactly that - double space and nothing more.

    Now - the one thing I am having trouble getting used to is the the comma -- after nearly 2 months I still have to depress the orange key three times because I have not been able to "retrain" myself to just type the damn thing.

    I carry a BB and the Pre = before that other Palm devices. I have never liked the BB keyboard and lack of some very common symbols displayed on the keys (such as % and &)
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by ksixftfour View Post
    [*]Because I don't see the advantage with the period right next to the spacebar[/LIST]
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Pre's keyboard (particularly the fact that I can enter an email address without touching a function key which I couldn't do on my BB), but even with a dedicated period, as you're flying along typing, it's still easier to press a single key twice than it is to press two separate keys to end up with the same result. Especially when you're typing with thumbs.

    But it's not a huge deal and I've adjusted to it.

    Still really wish I could hold down a key to get caps tho...
  18. gage006's Avatar
    Posts
    543 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    #58  
    Any progress on this? Switching to a Pre from my Blackberry soon and I know it's going to kill my typing to not have the double space period trick. It's already bad enough that I do it on my computer sometimes.
  19. #59  
    I'm surprised people are still looking for the double-space-period... I love having the single keystroke period.
    no 'Thanks'
  20. gage006's Avatar
    Posts
    543 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    #60  
    Just a matter of muscle memory and preference. It's not like adding it negatively affects anyone or anything else.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions