Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 67
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaXVI View Post
    I will adjust to the period being it's own key, but the one thing my Curve has which I love is holding down a key to caps the letter instead of shifting to get a caps.

    That is one feature I wish they would implement.
    Completely agree on that one, a very useful feature.
  2. #22  
    Wow, lol.. Postal, I was no way trying to start an argument. I was simply trying to state that the pre is different from all those other devices. Thought you were complaining it wasn't like the other devices you owned.

    And I do use punctuation and spaces alot, even in texting; as it helps to add my personal feeling to the words. I do not consider myself an elitist by any means. Especially seeing as this is my first 'smartphone' (first cell phone in awhile). I was just saying a minor adj. would alleviate your problem that you were 'really bothered' by. I did take a shot a other post I have read lately (probably should of held that for another post). But definitely wasn't attacking you ( I should've said minor , whiny), so I apologize if I offended you.

    (Dumb ??)On those other phones is there a dedicated '.' button?
  3. geodim's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    #23  
    This is hardly a negative. The reason that BlackBerrys have the double-tap function is that there is no dedicated period key. The Pre has a dedicated period key. You're only seeing this as a downfall, because you're used to one method. If BlackBerrys had a dedicated period key and the Pre used the double-tap function, you'd still be complaining.

    I double-space my sentences, so I'd rather have it type two spaces when I tap the spacebar twice. In fact, it would be very aggrevating if a double-tap produced a period. As a previous poster said, if this was the preferred method of input, computer keyboards would be doing this.


    Number of button presses to generate a period
    Pre: 1
    BlackBerry: 2 (winner?)
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

    iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
  4. jc-Treo's Avatar
    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    #24  
    Maybe you could modify the autocorrect file to do this? (search the threads for how to modify the file)
  5. #25  
    I think its a issue to not have it for some and its a issue to have it for others. I fall into the group who doesn't like it as I stated before, I often need a double space and not a period. When a period comes up I find myself backspacing then spacing then continuing. Since I use my Pre to right notes in class, we all know the double space is needed when doing this.

    So the best solution is a option to have it or not.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    Number of button presses to generate a period
    Pre: 1
    BlackBerry: 2 (winner?)
    Well, once again, it's not the end of the world or anything, but you're missing it; the two spaces on the BB ALSO produce the period. So, if you're typing a paragraph on your phone and you get to the end of a sentence and want to start another, to get the requesite period followed by two spaces to start the following sentence:

    Pre: period, space, space
    BB: space, space

    I love my Pre and actually like the keyboard much better than on either of my BBs, but this, along with (as others have noted) holding down a letter to get CAPS, are VERY nice typing features.
  7. #27  
    why the period is next to it lot of usless work
    Last edited by bigkev1469; 08/02/2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: spelling
  8. #28  
    No offense, but proper typing classes have removed the double period many years ago. Not a single one of my college professors wanted the double. Seems like a very limited audience would even want this.
    no 'Thanks'
  9. #29  
    Something for BB users to un-learn. Something I don't need to learn. A win for me.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Well, I don't hear anyone complaining about the first letter of a sentence getting auto-Caps, so it's not just "lazy".
    I've complained about that before. It is annoying when typing abbreviations in the middle of sentences (i.e. typing "i.e." [if left uncorrected by backspace, it would look like "I.e. Typing"] or typing "U.S. is a country" [comes out "you.s. Is a country"] or using elipses [...]). I could see them including it if the person double-spaced after a period, thus beginning a new sentence, but not if the person single-spaced, since that's part of the same sentence.

    And, yes, having to push backspace to correct these things happens a LOT for me, making for more than an inconvenience.

    Palm should make it an option that can be turned off or on depending on a user's personal preference if they want to keep it so it still capitalizes with only a single space after a period.

    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    As somebody else said, I dont' expect Palm to incorporate every feature of every phone that every person has owned (and have just gotten used to it), but don't knock it until you've tried it.
    Very true, GMoney. (Are you a fan of "The Office"? I LOVE that show!!)
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    Very true, GMoney. (Are you a fan of "The Office"? I LOVE that show!!)
    I've yet to actually meet anyone who doesn't love that show.

    And I agree with you that the Caps thing can be a PITA in certain circumstances.
  12. #32  
    two different phones....the whole point of getting a different phone is that you get to do things differently than you did on your last phone...Do people have a problem with Burger King becuase they dont carry Big Macs lol!!
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I've yet to actually meet anyone who doesn't love that show.
    Then you haven't met my mother, LOL! She can't stand it for some reason (no good sense of humor, I guess! Haha). Such a shame.
  14. waddle's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    #34  
    Double space for a period is better and more efficient. Holding down the letter to get caps is better and more efficient as well.

    It's gotta be a pride thing with these software companies that they can't just see what others are doing and copy the best ideas.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Well, once again, it's not the end of the world or anything, but you're missing it; the two spaces on the BB ALSO produce the period. So, if you're typing a paragraph on your phone and you get to the end of a sentence and want to start another, to get the requesite period followed by two spaces to start the following sentence:

    Pre: period, space, space
    BB: space, space

    I love my Pre and actually like the keyboard much better than on either of my BBs, but this, along with (as others have noted) holding down a letter to get CAPS, are VERY nice typing features.
    So pushing space twice on a blackberry adds a period plus the 2 spaces? That would be annoying when trying to conserve characters for texting or twitter.
  16. iclimb513's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    This is hardly a negative. The reason that BlackBerrys have the double-tap function is that there is no dedicated period key. The Pre has a dedicated period key. You're only seeing this as a downfall, because you're used to one method. If BlackBerrys had a dedicated period key and the Pre used the double-tap function, you'd still be complaining.

    I double-space my sentences, so I'd rather have it type two spaces when I tap the spacebar twice. In fact, it would be very aggrevating if a double-tap produced a period. As a previous poster said, if this was the preferred method of input, computer keyboards would be doing this.


    Number of button presses to generate a period
    Pre: 1
    BlackBerry: 2 (winner?)
    The first rule of engineering / creating anything is

    "No matter what you make, or how you implement someone will find something to complain about"

    the second rule is

    "If you redo it to appease the first complainer, someone else will complain that it was better the other way"

    I can't think of a more glaring example to cite than this thread. Complaining that you have to move your finger to the period key instead of being able to hit a completely different key twice because your previous device didn't have a period key? Really?
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    This is hardly a negative. The reason that BlackBerrys have the double-tap function is that there is no dedicated period key. The Pre has a dedicated period key.
    I feel like this is a chicken vs egg situation, and strongly suggest you're thinking about it backwards. I am fairly sure the lack of a period key on the Berry was a conscious design choice, because they deemed it more efficient to implement it in software, as it requires one less button, and less movement for the end user (which is arguably an RSI concern on a small handheld keyboard).

    I suspect they figured that you rarely need to use a period that it isn't followed by a space, so consciously chose to implement an auto-correct swapping a double-space for a period-space.

    The only time a period is not usually followed by a space on a PDA is in a web/e-mail address, and in dedicated fields for those, the Berry auto-subs a single space to a period, since that's not used there. (in an e-mail address field, the first space becomes @, the rest periods, which is by far most common, and you can use the alt key to get a period in the part before the @ if needed).

    It is a LOT more efficient to type on a thumb keyboard that way, having spent years on Treos, a Curve, and now a Pre.

    Number of button presses to generate a period
    Pre: 1
    BlackBerry: 2 (winner?)
    Your math is flawed. This is more accurate in MOST typing situations:

    Number of movements to generate a period followed by a space:
    Pre: 3 (press period, move to space, press space)
    Berry: 2 (double-click space)

    It is a LOT more efficient than you realize. I would never have missed it before I used a Berry, but now I miss it every day.

    I also dearly wish for the hold-to-capitalize feature. To even it out, though, on my Berry, I was pining for the additional KeyCaps feature I had on my Treos that let me double-click keys to get the symbol without the shift.

    I'm actually tempted to go to the NYC DevCamp just to see if I can learn how to do that sort of add-on!

    --A
  18. waddle's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundGuyAndy View Post
    I feel like this is a chicken vs egg situation, and strongly suggest you're thinking about it backwards. I am fairly sure the lack of a period key on the Berry was a conscious design choice, because they deemed it more efficient to implement it in software, as it requires one less button, and less movement for the end user (which is arguably an RSI concern on a small handheld keyboard).

    I suspect they figured that you rarely need to use a period that it isn't followed by a space, so consciously chose to implement an auto-correct swapping a double-space for a period-space.

    The only time a period is not usually followed by a space on a PDA is in a web/e-mail address, and in dedicated fields for those, the Berry auto-subs a single space to a period, since that's not used there. (in an e-mail address field, the first space becomes @, the rest periods, which is by far most common, and you can use the alt key to get a period in the part before the @ if needed).

    It is a LOT more efficient to type on a thumb keyboard that way, having spent years on Treos, a Curve, and now a Pre.



    Your math is flawed. This is more accurate in MOST typing situations:

    Number of movements to generate a period followed by a space:
    Pre: 3 (press period, move to space, press space)
    Berry: 2 (double-click space)

    It is a LOT more efficient than you realize. I would never have missed it before I used a Berry, but now I miss it every day.

    I also dearly wish for the hold-to-capitalize feature. To even it out, though, on my Berry, I was pining for the additional KeyCaps feature I had on my Treos that let me double-click keys to get the symbol without the shift.

    I'm actually tempted to go to the NYC DevCamp just to see if I can learn how to do that sort of add-on!

    --A
    Right on,

    I love this guy. Please go to that camp asap.

    end thread (no offense)
  19. Andreas's Avatar
    Posts
    896 Posts
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    #39  
    As english aint my native language im curious if the Pre got the same kind of auto-correct like the Centro?

    Quite annoying for us trying to type in our native language and have the device auto-correct. For instance, when typing a single letter "i" and auto-correct turns into capital letters. If this is the case I wish for a app that lets you edit the auto correct feature or atleast switch it on/off.

    I guess a lot of ppl would be happy with auto-correct preferences tab so that you could make your own settings. Would save a lot of time instead of having to go into the special chars window and scroll down to a particular char.

    For instance, if I type in Swedish I have to access this menu a lot so a editable auto-correct feature would be great and save a lot of time instead of having to scroll for letters like . Im shure its similar with all other non-english countries.
    Last edited by Andreas; 08/04/2009 at 05:06 AM.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
  20. dpc111's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #40  
    Coming from a BB curve, I too liked the double space for a period on the BB ONLY BECAUSE the period was not on its own key. It was a function on the letter M. The double space was better than typing a function M. However, on the Pre, there is an actual period key which is right next to the space bar. A period on its own key is superior to both function and double stroke. IMHO.

    Dave
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions