1.    #1  
    washingtonpost.com

The above Washington Post article is interesting. It describes how the FCC is investigating the decision (by ATT, Apple, or persons unknown) to reject Google Voice from the iPhone. It seems the FCC has allowed wireless providers to be pretty arbitrary about accepting or rejecting equipment from their networks as long as they were providers of (effectively) traditional telephone service, but when the devices become internet access portals, the FCC wants to uphold the traditional view ("traditional" on the internet? LOL) that the internet is open and free to any gizmo that can hook up to it. So the decision to reject Google Voice is in conflict with the FCC's vision of the rules, and they are looking into it.

My opinion is that this may be a very big deal. Probably a good thing for us as consumers, as it will enable us to pick and choose devices and software that we want, rather than the stuff the wireless providers think is most profitable for them.

As a longtime Palm user who wants the Pre to be a big success, I'm not so sure it is a good thing for that narrow perspective. If Apple/ATT/whoever kept the iPhone tightly walled-off from many popular applications, it might drive some users to alternate devices, including the Pre! (Of course Android and other phones might benefit as well).

What do y'all think? I'm just a civilian with no expertise in this area.

Just for fun, here's a conspiracy-theorist perspective on the same issue:
    Timothy Karr: Is AT&T Secretly Controlling Your iPhone? The FCC Wants to Know (And So Should You)

And here's a more staid IT industry report:
    FCC Demands Data on Blocked Google Voice Apps - News and Analysis by PC Magazine
    (really doesn't have that much more specific of information)

And on a slightly different topic, here are more FCC shenanigans involving an investigation of whether exclusivity agreements such as ATT/iPhone and Sprint/Pre stifle innovation:
    http://www.crn.com/mobile/218900352;...OSKH0CJUNN2JVN
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Considering the amount of people that have flocked to the Iphone I'd say that the general consumer really doesn't give a ****. Tech geeks like us? Sure. Joe Blow on the street isn't going to change their purchase decisions in a major way because of it.
    The FCC is also investigating phone exclusives, which the Pre falls under.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    The FCC is also investigating phone exclusives, which the Pre falls under.
    Yep, there's an article link at the end of my original post. Interesting time to be an FCC staff member, I'm sure!
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre