Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Here might be a couple of solutions - I had this issue, huge amount of dropped calls, fluctuating signals, bad battery, all of it!

I checked signal strenght, it does get a weaker signal when you hack into the coes to see RSS strenght, but it does get enough.

After hours on the phone with tech support, I took to Service Center for "antenna test." It failed, new phone = so much of the above resolved.

Then the updates started within a day. My signals still fluctuate, but battery life is great, dropped calls (except for our weekend house at the end of the line) is great, much better. Check that.

I also set my phone Preferences to Automatic and Data Roaming. Tap on Preferences in phone screen. If you live and stay in good Sprint service area, set Voice Network to Sprint Only, should help, but won't let you roam for service, should stabilize signal, but only if you are in this area.

These two selection changes really helped my phone work the best it has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtone View Post
    My Pre's signal is significantly weaker than my old phone, which was a Treo 755p.
    I get a good signal but then there are times where its is only 1 or 2 bars, and/or no EVDO where I had full signal and fast EVDO on my Treo in the exact same location.
    Also, a couple of times my text messaging completely failed to work. I had a good signal and EVDO but could not send or receive txt messages.
    Preach it! We're getting an Airave. Can't take it anymore.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krohde View Post
    I'm having the wild fluctuations in signal too - at home I used to get 2-3 bars consistently with my Instinct. Now I get 2 or 3 in EV mode, then suddenly I'll be in Roaming with 2 bars. Then five minutes later it's back again. Not as big a deal for phone/text, but I can't use anything web-related at home hardly at all. It's definitely getting annoying, as is the awful battery life, which is partially due to the signal problems. Went to bed at 12:30 AM with 100% strength, woke up at 8 AM with 44% left.
    Update - I was at the Sprint store getting a second Pre added to my account for my gf, and had them test my Pre. It failed and I was given a new phone, which has been better but still doesn't give me ideal service. Then again, it's as good as my Instinct and A640 before that so it might be as good as it gets. I keep thinking because I live and work within 20 miles of Sprint World HQ that I would get rockin' service but then I remember that they don't even care enough to make KC one of the first 20 4G cities.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Ditto on the fluctuating bars as well.
    I had an original Motorola Q before my Pre. I got good service in my house. After I got my Pre, I had 0 to 1 bars and kept dropping calls. Got an airwave because everyone said it would make a world of difference. It didn't. It's a little better but not much. I keep hoping a future update will help.
    Quote Originally Posted by grebnehtor View Post
    I am! I am in what Sprint considers a good\great signal area and I get 0-1 bars where I live, both inside and out. I get 5 bars for 2-3 seconds, then it flashes back to 1 bar or switches to roam. My signal is going all over the place and I am suffering from poor call quality and dropped calls. Anyone else still experiencing this? I've done the PRL updates, Network updates, etc nothing seems to fix it. Ideas? I've played with the roaming settings as well. I'm hoping its a firmware thing and Palm fixes it, but they haven't said anything about signal that being poor or erratic from what I've read.
    I get the same thing exactly. This is my second phone exhibiting the same problem! I think Sprint is covering up a major design flaw with the antennae.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    3rd Pre and signal problems are the same at my home...Terrible.
    So Sprint gave me an Airave and waved all the costs and monthly fees. Now I get great signals at home. And pretty good when I am on the road every day.

But there is a problem that needs to be fixed.
    any improvement with 1.2.1 and the updated sprint radio that comes with it?
    Mine signal actually has become worse with the 1.2.1 update. I can't seem to hold onto a EV signal and my calls drop like crazy. I'm hoping it's a tower issue around here.
    For the first time, I get service in the stairwell.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Just got mine last week, coming from the Iphone 3g. Love the phone, but this is the worse signal on any phone I have ever had. I am searching all over finding out this is a known issue, considering the Pre has been out so long, something should have been fixed already. I really wanna keep this think it is great, but if I can't get it fixed within the 30 days I am going to have to go back to the old Iphone.. very frustrating. Even if I could live with poor signal it KILLS the battery so fast, no good.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I am out in Phoenix and my signal bounces all over the place. We have 2 pre's and two instincts, and it seems only the pre's are erratic. I called sprint and was told there was a known issues with the towers closest to me within the last 72hrs but it has been resolved...couple days later still the same issue with a dropped call here and there and for the most part only 1-2 bars. Called them again and was told i can buy an air rave....I told them i dont see why i should have to buy that if my kids instincts work fine and only my pre's are act screwy. Said a higher lvl tech will call me within in 72hrs. Havent heard from them yet, but ill give them a call tomorrow if nothing has been resolved. Other then the issue with a couple dropped calls on both my pre's..The Phone Rocks!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Roaming off has seemed to stabalize my signal
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    my signal is so bad after updating to 1.2.1. I can't even use the phone to call anymore. It'll show me having 3-5 bars EVDO signal. Once i make or recieve a call, EVDO drops and it just shows 2-3 bars (no R or 1xt). Gotta go to a sprint store and talk to them about it. Sigh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vnak View Post
    my signal is so bad after updating to 1.2.1. I can't even use the phone to call anymore. It'll show me having 3-5 bars EVDO signal. Once i make or recieve a call, EVDO drops and it just shows 2-3 bars (no R or 1xt). Gotta go to a sprint store and talk to them about it. Sigh...
    My signal was actually great during the original Pre's sofware. was it 1.0 or 1.1.

After 1.2 and now at 1.2.1 my phone has terrible call quality and drops 30%-50% of my calls per day, yet the sprint store says I have no issue with my phone. I need to ask about that antenna test tho...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vnak View Post
    My signal was actually great during the original Pre's sofware. was it 1.0 or 1.1.

After 1.2 and now at 1.2.1 my phone has terrible call quality and drops 30%-50% of my calls per day, yet the sprint store says I have no issue with my phone. I need to ask about that antenna test tho...
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Mine's all over the place. At work it goes from 1 bar to 5 bars to 2 bars... rinse and repeat. I've noticed it will often show 3-4 bars then the moment I attempt to access data/call it will drop to 1 (maybe it's just not updated at that point).
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    AGGHHH! Not only is signal strength horrible, up and down all over the place all the time, but I have 10+ mile areas WITH NO VOICE OR DATA, EVERY DAY on my drive home from work! A reset seems to sometimes fix it (nothing like waiting for 2-3 mins for the phone to reboot)

Yes I have data roaming ON and voice set to AUTO ROAM, and I've tried it with them both off too. I had none of these problems with my any of my Treo's including my last-755P. THIS IS BS! COME ON SPRINT/PALM! GET WITH IT!
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    -and this is in a major area, including an open highway!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Yes, I still have terrible signal almost everywhere. The phone is nearly unusable while I'm at work and in certain areas around town. Luckily, I have installed Preware and the patch to force the phone to roam. In areas where I get crappy Sprint signal I can almost always pick up 4-5 bars from another network. I know I lose EV-DO speeds at that point but roaming speed is better than not being able to load pages at all because of 0-1 bars of EV-DO.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123