Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    My T-Mobile G1 did this too. And now the Pre is as well. Oddly, it never set off the store anti-shoplifting security alarms before 1.1 update.

Anyone else noticing this? Anyone know why? I'm kind of tired of the awkward stares and occasional strip searches.
    I have been in and out of MANY stores since the update, and never once has the store security gone off.
    I was just @ the mall in syr. And it didn't happen a single time...I'm thinking its something else your carrying as its only happened to me when a caahier improperly scans or wipes something I just purchased...
  4. bbr
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    This has been happening to both me and my fiance since the past update. That's the only thing that's changed with both of us. Hmm...
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I bet it was the stolen Fruit of the Looms you heisted, not the phone. lol. j/k
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Are you using the touchstone? If I recall corectly those alarm systems are magnetic.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I used to set off the CVS alarms with my old phone, LG VX5300. Some alarms are just sensitive to certain radio frequencies.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
    Are you using the touchstone? If I recall corectly those alarm systems are magnetic.
    I think someone posted about that as well. Of course not the Touchstone, but the back on the Pre.

I'm wondering now if I set a couple off recently. I'm sensitive to metal detectors as I usually have a fairly large piece of metal on my hip, but once was at the Post Office where that big piece of metal would have been in the truck while I was in side. That leaves the Pre. But no Touchstone back on it, yet. It might have been a fluke too.
    I did but I thought it was because of the stuff I was stealing.. lol J/K

- seriously tho - I think I have set off one or two now that I think about it..

- D2G
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Yea I'm thinkin if there is sum metal charge or static charge bein created by the touchstone back cover. But if ur nt using the cover then hmmm... I haven't had that happen to me yet.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    They aren't metal detectors, they are rfid detectors. That weird metallic sticker you see on the inside of CDs and DVDs emit a signal and are deactivated then the cashier runs it over the magnet at their register.

I was only able to confirm this through ehow.com, as most google searches lead to sites telling you how to remove such tags.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
    I do have the touchstone back but those security systems are rfid not magnetic as sgtkwol said. The scanning antennas (the big things you walk between by the door) use RF in five slices of the band from 9 to 135 kHz; 13.56 MHz; 400 to 1200 MHz; 2.45 GHz; and 5.8 GHz.

Anyone happen to know of an antenna or radio on the Pre or Touchstone that might interfere?
    This thread is interesting. OP -- are you carrying anything else with you that could be the culprit? Both my laptop AND my Kindle set off the theft alarm at Border's Books. I'm there all the time and it's become so common that the employees now just look at me and wave me through... shaking their heads.

The manager said that he's pretty sure that it isn't the electronics themselves setting off the system, but the "code stickers" on the batteries and that the chain is aware of the issue.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Just went to staples the other day, and my sister and I both set off the alarm, and the only thing in common between us were our pres.

however, it appears as though it only went off if we walked close tot he sensor. we walked in and out so many times, they eventually just let us go, but it was still embarrassing to hear all the buzzers keep going off.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    I really don't see how this could be the Pre. It makes no sense to this Goat.

Lately, a lot of clothes come with a tag that say "remove before washing". Make sure to remove the tag.

Also, if you want to pull a cruel joke on your friends then stick that tag in their wallet somewhere where they won't notice it. It will go off everytime they enter a store. Some Goat hilarity for you.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    By the way, the tag that they put in clothing can be very discrete. Looks like a normal clothing tag.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    At my school's library there are detector thingies and they go off on people fairly often. The clerk always says "sorry about that, it goes off on blackberries and other smart phones ALL the time"

Happened to me with my blackberry at least once or twice.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Did you carry your old phone or your new phone in your pants? It's probably your pants. Look for a tag inside that says 'do not remove', you are supposed to remove it. That's the sewn in security tag and someone didn't demagnetize it fully when you bought those pants at the GAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Also, if you want to pull a cruel joke on your friends then stick that tag in their wallet somewhere where they won't notice it. It will go off everytime they enter a store. Some Goat hilarity for you.
    You sir are truly a master.......... I bow to your greatness.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    This thread is interesting. OP -- are you carrying anything else with you that could be the culprit? Both my laptop AND my Kindle set off the theft alarm at Border's Books. I'm there all the time and it's become so common that the employees now just look at me and wave me through... shaking their heads.

The manager said that he's pretty sure that it isn't the electronics themselves setting off the system, but the "code stickers" on the batteries and that the chain is aware of the issue.
    I know there is nothing else on me it could be. There's one store in particular where I set it off everytime. The other day I was carrying some large items out (yes, I paid for them first) and had to walk through the door backwards to get through. The Pre was in my normal pocket but now positioned away from the sensor and I made it out without setting off the alarm.

On a side note, I used to sell those security systems to businesses and I always carried an rfid tag in my wallet that would set them off. It was a great way to see if I needed to spend my time prospecting there.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast