1.    #1  
    Palm Pre gets app store and 150+ apps adapted from old Palm software
    June 24, 2009 | Dean Takahashi

Palmís new Pre smartphone has been slammed by critics for its dearth of apps. But San Mateo, Calif.-based MobiHand and MotionApps say they have a solution: emulated versions of older Palm software.

MotionApps has built software that allows older apps based on the Palm OS to run on the new operating system. Itís called the MotionApps Classic Palm OS emulator, and it can run the older apps on the Pre faster than they originally ran, since the Pre is more powerful. The software costs $29.99.

More importantly, the company also launched an app store today, together with MobiHand. Itís called the MobiHand Classic App Store, and it offers some 150 Palm OS apps that will run on the Palm Pre, including apps related to games, entertainment, and personal productivity. Titles include Aces Texas Holdíem, Bejeweled, BlackJack Deluxe, Agendus, and SplashID. Some apps are free, while many are paid.

Steve Howard, president and chief executive of MobiHand, said more apps would follow, since there is a catalog of some 6,000 Palm apps, many of which could be adapted to run on the Pre.

The site will include a community forum for classic Palm fans. Those fans can volunteer to approve apps in a kind of Wiki process.

San Francisco-based MotionApps secured a license from Palm for the Palm OS. Without that, it would have been extremely difficult to build an emulator.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    This isn't a app store this is just a plugin for the classic app
  3.    #3  
    LOOK THIS IS BETTER THAN NO APPS AT ALL! oops so sorry to shout!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    LOOK THIS IS BETTER THAN NO APPS AT ALL! oops so sorry to shout!
    I agree but we already knew this. Its not news its just a product plug.
  5.    #5  
    Let me see if I have this right, this makes a hundred and 150 plus programs available, considering that the software tools are only out a few weeks...this is good news. But, you are not happy, since it does not offer new programs. In addition, since the Iphone has programs such as making a noise as a person passing gas, I think this is GREAT news. At least these apps do something constructive. Passing gas and such jokes is for 12 year old boys...these apps are much more useful to us than that. This will also will alwo many of OUR favorite programs, to be "rewritten" for the PALMOS and give us many choices. After all is one firm did it don't you think others will? Take care, Jay

PS This is a stop gap measure until the company can rewrite programs from scratch for Palm OS, so look at the bright side.
    These are crappy old programs that don't work well on the Pre. I wouldn't really advertise this as solving the lack of apps problem.
    I agree. This doesn't excite me in the least. Just crap. There's no workaround for simply approving more apps for the app store... : P
    LG PM225 (Water Damage) > Palm 650p (Stolen) > LG Rumor (White Screen of Death) > Palm 600p (Died) > Samsung Instinct (HORRIBLE and somewhat defective software wise...) > Palm Pre!
    I can appreciate someone bringing news here, but did you happen to get a look at the date? June 24th? This is isn't new news, we already knew this. Its like someone coming here and saying "Palm Pre to have iTunes Sync" Just released!!!!!!
    Perhaps I'm missing something, but why are we just now discussing an announcement from six weeks ago? The OP date for this thread is August 1, and the quoted article is dated June 24. Does anyone else find this to be old news?

In any case, while in an "any news is good news" sense, it's mildly amusing that MobiHand has chosen to call new attention to some very old apps with this "launch" of theirs, is there really any benefit to us as consumers? The fact is there are 30,000+ PalmOS apps in existence, most of which will run under Classic. Why should we care if MobiHand or anyone else cherry picks 150 of them to advertise as quasi-new?

Again, please clue me in if I'm missing something.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, since I haven't used Classic since the last trial expired (and I won't even consider buying it until it can Hotsync), but apps purchased from the MobiHand Classic App store still do need to be installed from the PC, right? There's no direct download/install capability within Classic itself, right? That's what the classic.mobihand.com says in their "How do I install Palm OS apps into Classic?" section, anyway.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    real old news, why post again