Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by porfuse View Post
    its been dropped 3 times resulting in some cosmetic damage... but the oreo thing was progressive...
    Missed this part the first time.....if it's been dropped 3 times, then you may very well have caused this problem, especially if you had the slider open when it was dropped.

Bottom line is nobody here can tell you what Sprint/Palm will do about it...you'll have to take it in and see what they say.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    If you're within the 30 days, exchange that thing ASAP.
    I exchanged twice at Best Buy and they didn't even look at the device.
    I guarantee you you broke one of the sliders when you dropped it. Thats the ONLY explanation for it. There is no way it can just get "progressively worse", the slider mechanism has to physically break for that to happen.
    Come on guys lets give him some slack. These phones are expensive and stuff does happen. More than likely the drops caused the problem, however I would recommend getting insurance and then paying the $100 deductible. If you never dropped it then you should get one at no cost.

Just be honest to Sprint... don't try to make it seem like this progressively happened w/o it being dropped or abused. By hiding the facts and trying to get one for free will only cause Sprint to become very strict on those who have true problems which have not occurred from being dropped. Making it difficult for us to get a replacement.

$100 for a replacement phone which normally cost around $600 is not that bad considering you created the issues.

Good Luck
    at least i know these things are tough.. i'm less worried about the durability of my pre now that i see it still works.. IN THAT CONDITION!!!!!
    Waiting for the result...even made popcorn
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    Do me a favor, take the battery out and snap a pic of the back of the slider, I just gotta see this, call it morbid curiosity.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    yes the slider is broken, pics coming in a min

so the truth is that the phone was showing the "phone offline" message (where you normally see "sprint" or "airplane mode") so im guessing that the oreo effect broke the radio or antenna connection- nothing i did made it reconnect to the network

so i bring it to the sprint store, where a lady tries to do a partial reset... naturally it doesnt work. So she tells me to bring it to a repair center, where a real technician can verify that it needs to be replaced...

so im wandering around in this random city trying to find the place w/o my pre GPS... i get there eventually and the guy takes a look at it... he tries a full and a partial erase (what a ****ing joke) of course that doesnt help...

so i ask him about replacing the unit, and he says that b/c there is cosmetic damage to the phone its not covered! He says i will have to pay full price (i didnt buy insurance)

so what i did: filed a claim with the credit card company, who will credit me the original cost.. so i'll be able to buy a new one without any net spending! nice! then i plan to sell my broken pre on ebay.. and perhaps i'll keep the battery??
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    porfusion.com /pre1.jpg
    porfusion.com /pre2.jpg
    so what i did: filed a claim with the credit card company, who will credit me the original cost..
    So, did you let your credit card company know that you had dropped the phone 3 times and damaged it?
    porfusion.com /pre1.jpg
    porfusion.com /pre2.jpg
    Yeah, that's a broken slider all right. Can you take a pic of the other rail?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    So, did you let your credit card company know that you had dropped the phone 3 times and damaged it?
    CC company covers all damage and theft, and yes i did tell them i dropped it!

porfusion.com /pre3.jpg
    ^^ thats the other rail (which looks fine i think?)
    CC company covers all damage and theft, and yes i did tell them i dropped it!
    Well that is cool. How long do they cover it for?
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Well that is cool. How long do they cover it for?
    most companies are 90 days.. always use credit cards! especially after the new credit protection act... now debit cards look so dumb

my brother dropped his iphone in a lake... he got credited for the full amount!
    Sounds more like fraud to me.
    i think i am just starting to get the oreo thing.
    and i dont like it one bit. it reminds me of the build quality of some chinese (no offense) knock off iphone with a slide out keyboard.
    My phone wasn't this bad, but Sprint replaced it with a new phone free of charge.
    porfusion.com /pre1.jpg
    Right and this picture illustrates that you CLEARLY pried the Pre's slider away from it's casing to get this effect. I don't believe you and I don't believe the BS story you're telling about going to a Sprint store... blah, blah, blah.

I'm calling shenanigans.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    Right and this picture illustrates that you CLEARLY pried the Pre's slider away from it's casing to get this effect. I don't believe you and I don't believe the BS story you're telling about going to a Sprint store... blah, blah, blah.

I'm calling shenanigans.

ok? your suspicions were already proved wrong once, what other credibility do you have?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast