Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. Cubs Win's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #1  
    I received my new Palm Pre last week and have no less than 4 dead pixels, in addition to a slight Oreo effect. I called the local Sprint store and they said they could swap the phone out, but since it was already activated they would have to charge me a $35 restocking fee. How is that right to charge a restocking fee for a defective item?
  2. #2  
    Is it an actual corp store? Talk to the store manager. You shouldn't have to pay the restocking fee to swap out a defective phone.
  3. Cubs Win's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Is it an actual corp store? Talk to the store manager. You shouldn't have to pay the restocking fee to swap out a defective phone.
    Yes, it is an actual Sprint store listed on the website. I didn't buy my phone through them (I ordered it online through the Sprint EVP program), but shouldn't they still be able to swap it out in store?
  4. #4  
    I have exchanged my Pre 2 times and never heard of that...I was told once that if I RETURN it I would have that restock fee, but not for an exchange. If you have your receipt, check the bottom of it and I think it mentions something about not being charged a fee, I think I read that somewhere.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsWin View Post
    Yes, it is an actual Sprint store listed on the website. I didn't buy my phone through them (I ordered it online through the Sprint EVP program), but shouldn't they still be able to swap it out in store?
    There should be no restocking fee. Refer the employee to the back of the receipt. "All equipment including materials must be returned (accessories, manuals, etc.). You may be charged a fee for missing components (e.g., battery or charger). All returns must be in like new condition (no cracks, scratches, etc.). Sprint has the final decision on wether the item(s) can be returned or exchanged."

    So if everything is there and its in excellent condition you should not be charged a fee. Specially if you are exchanging it due to defects.

    P.S. Check your device b/c I just exchanged from my third Pre and there is a huge space between the back panel (where the keyboard and battery are) and the front panel where the screen is. My third replacement seems to work fine but has a springy effect then I touch the screen. Its a bit annoying so I may go back and exchange for a more tightly put together Pre. Also dont expect to get a new one. They will order you one which is refurbished. Mine had the Web O.S. 1.0.2 and also still had the orig owners Pandora info stored

    Good Luck
    Last edited by kmehr; 08/01/2009 at 11:28 AM.
  6. #6  
    its another stupid sprint store mistake. Call care and tell them and they will make sure you don't pay for it.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  7. pathymo's Avatar
    Posts
    231 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #7  
    This has been discussed at length in other threads, buuuuuuut....

    Our Guarantee

    Exchange policy
    You get one exchange per 30-day period. Please note that an exchange does not extend the 30-day period.
    If your device has been activated, there is a $35 restocking fee for all exchanges due at the time of the exchange (Per Hawaii state law, this does not apply Hawaii residents).

    Also Kmehr, that is their policy for a return not an exchange.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    This has been discussed at length in other threads, buuuuuuut....

    Our Guarantee

    Exchange policy
    You get one exchange per 30-day period. Please note that an exchange does not extend the 30-day period.
    If your device has been activated, there is a $35 restocking fee for all exchanges due at the time of the exchange (Per Hawaii state law, this does not apply Hawaii residents).

    Also Kmehr, that is their policy for a return not an exchange.
    Sorry thats correct about what I posted. If the OP has insurance that should prevent any $35 restocking fee (not too sure though)
  9. Cubs Win's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by kmehr View Post
    Also dont expect to get a new one. They will order you one which is refurbished.
    I ended up calling Sprint to send a replacement and I asked the representative whether it would be new or refurbished. She said that she was ordering me a NEW one since it was within the 30 day replacement period, so I better not get a refurb, especially since they are charging me the $299.99 up front until they receive my Pre back.
  10. pathymo's Avatar
    Posts
    231 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by kmehr View Post
    Sorry thats correct about what I posted. If the OP has insurance that should prevent any $35 restocking fee (not too sure though)
    No, insurance has nothing to do with that.

    Quote Originally Posted by CubsWin View Post
    I ended up calling Sprint to send a replacement and I asked the representative whether it would be new or refurbished. She said that she was ordering me a NEW one since it was within the 30 day replacement period, so I better not get a refurb, especially since they are charging me the $299.99 up front until they receive my Pre back.
    Yes, they should send you a brand new one... but if they send you a refurb, don't be angry until you test it out. I got a refurb (mine was outside the 30 days), and it was in perfect condition. Refurbs aren't always bad.
  11. #11  
    They are charging you the $35 because your are a cubs fan!
  12. Cubs Win's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    They are charging you the $35 because your are a cubs fan!
    They should know that I have already suffered enough.
  13. Omega33's Avatar
    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    #13  
    lol
  14. Cubs Win's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    Our Guarantee

    Exchange policy
    You get one exchange per 30-day period. Please note that an exchange does not extend the 30-day period.
    If your device has been activated, there is a $35 restocking fee for all exchanges due at the time of the exchange (Per Hawaii state law, this does not apply Hawaii residents).
    So when I receive my replacement, if I check everything over before activating it and find any problems, I should then be able to take it to the local Sprint store and swap it for no charge?
  15. Omega33's Avatar
    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    #15  
    I just had to take mine in today and they couldn't fix it so they ordered me one that should be in by the end of next week. I'll be curious to see if they charge me a restocking fee as well.
  16. #16  
    It doesn't make sense to charge you a "restocking" fee for a defective phone. They aren't going to restock a defective phone, are they?

    Email customer care or call *2. They should waive that charge if the phone was defective.
  17. Cubs Win's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Email customer care or call *2. They should waive that charge if the phone was defective.
    I agree that it doesn't make sense, but when I called *2 they agreed with the $35 charge for an in-store swap.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsWin View Post
    I agree that it doesn't make sense, but when I called *2 they agreed with the $35 charge for an in-store swap.
    Email customer care...one of the addresses is: ecare2@cc.sprintpcs.com

    I've had pretty good luck with them.

    Explain the situation them and ask them why you should have to pay a restocking fee for a defective phone? Many people have exchanged their phones within 30 days and didn't have to pay a dime for it.

    I see you ordered it on-line....not sure if that's the difference or not but it wouldn't hurt to email customer care, they may issue you a credit.
  19. Cubs Win's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #19  
    Sprint shipped my replacement in record time. I called them and ordered a replacement on Saturday and had it on my doorstep early this afternoon. My new Pre still has 3 or 4 stuck pixels, but they are all close to the edges and hardly noticeable, compared to my original phone that had a large bright spot (2 or 3 stuck pixels right next to each other) that looked like it was going Supernova. The new phone also has no Oreo effect whatsoever, so I'm definitely glad that I got the phone replaced.

    On the down side, I spent an hour on the phone with Sprint after activating the new phone to get them to send me a return kit for the old one. I'm hoping everything goes smoothly with the return and rebates, but I wouldn't be surprised if they end up getting something mixed up in their system. I haven't seen the bill yet, but I'm assuming they will charge me for shipping, which I will contest since they should be responsible for shipping charges when the return was due to a defect.

Posting Permissions