Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Deutsche Bank Gives Palm a Hand

Sales of the Palm Pre aren’t slowing; nor is the device suffering from unusually high return rates. And all this incessant hand-wringing over the Pre’s performance at market is needless.

That’s the word from Deutsche Bank analyst Jonathan Goldberg, who says the smartphone is doing just fine.

“Palm’s stock has underperformed since their earnings announcement last month in the absence of any hard news,” Goldberg wrote in a research note Friday. “We think market fears about return rates, weekly order trends and applications development are off the mark. Our checks continue to point to solid demand and carrier interest.”

According to Goldberg, his checks also indicate that “…Palm has become a healthy momentum stock adding to volatility. Sifting through the noise, however, we believe the key trends are healthy. The August quarter is tracking ahead of our estimates. We think the Street is still underestimating the company’s improved execution and long-term operating leverage.”

That’s certainly possible, given the wide disagreement among analysts over sales and satisfaction. Perhaps when Palm (PALM) next reports earnings, it will release some hard sales numbers and put an end to this speculation once and for all.
    Palm Pre: Deutsche Bank Analyst Weighs In With Positive Report | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Who are you going to believe Deutsche Bank or a website poll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Bank
    “We think market fears about return rates, weekly order trends and applications development are off the mark. Our checks continue to point to solid demand and carrier interest.”
    TRANSLATION: We have no proof or evidence, nor do we explain how we perform "our checks," but trust us - it's all good.

Articles like this are nothing short of blather until Palm and/or Sprint cough up some real numbers. Their silence on this for nearly two months speaks volumes about whether or not they've met their own expectations. Companies which meet or exceed expectations jump through hoops to publicly crow about their successes.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    Who are you going to believe Deutsche Bank or a website poll.
    Oh clearly you know how I believe. Combine that with Sprint affiliate iPCS saying in their conference call that demand for Pre was so strong they're asking for stepped up shipments and it should prove obvious to other sowers of doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    TRANSLATION: We have no proof or evidence, nor do we explain how we perform "our checks," but trust us - it's all good.

Articles like this are nothing short of blather until Palm and/or Sprint cough up some real numbers. Their silence on this for nearly two months speaks volumes about whether or not they've met their own expectations. Companies which meet or exceed expectations jump through hoops to publicly crow about their successes.
    TRANSLATION: It really ticks me off when anyone says something positive about the Pre. Oh, and I'm arrogant.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    TRANSLATION: It really ticks me off when anyone says something positive about the Pre. Oh, and I'm arrogant.
    I think at this point we should all be skeptical of anything analysts say, positive or negative. I'll believe Palm is performing well (or poorly) when I see the proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Oh clearly you know how I believe. Combine that with Sprint affiliate iPCS saying in their conference call that demand for Pre was so strong they're asking for stepped up shipments and it should prove obvious to other sowers of doubt.
    LOL - go look up iPCS. They account for just over 1% of Sprint's subscribers. Their idea of stepped up shipments is to increase from July's 12 Pre's to August's 15 Pre's.

Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749
    Kupe:
    LOL - go look up iPCS. They account for just over 1% of Sprint's subscribers. Their idea of stepped up shipments is to increase from July's 12 Pre's to August's 15 Pre's.
    Is going from 12 Pres to 15 an issue? It's still an increase in sales. I was a Verizon customer and I'm still paying for a family plan for the rest of my family.
    After I purchased my phone, two of my family members also purchased the Pre and I changed their service with Verizon to regular phones instead of Data.

Initially everyone planned for me to come back to Verizon once my Sprint contract was up, but everyone wanted the Pre sooner after they saw my phone.

I think that the only thing that's keeping the Pre from making bigger sales, is knowing that you can stay with your current carrier and wait for them to add the Pre. Both AT&T and Verizon have announced that they'll carry the Pre as soon as the exclusivity deal ends with Sprint.

If people would have thought that they had no hope of getting the Pre w/o switching carriers, a lot more would have left. It's obvious and AT & T and Verizon also thought so or they wouldn't have announced their intention prior to the Pre being launched.

Sprint is not hurting. About 30 - 33% of the Pre's initial sales were new customers. But it would have been stronger w/o those announcements and with a longer exclusivity deal.

It's fortunate for other carriers that Palm needs the money and a wider customer base more than they need to stick-up their noses at carriers who previously didn't support their efforts until their phones were a proven sales hit.

I wish that Sprint's exclusivity had been a year to a year and a half. Unfortunately Palm has investors and they need a surefire way to get an influx of cash. Opening up to more carriers for access to customers, without customers having to switch carriers, is a surefire way to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Sprint is not hurting.
    Clearly you haven't read their quarterly reports for the last two years (including this last quarter's). Sprint continues to hemorrhage customers in droves, maintains the industry's highest churn rate, and is still searching for that elusive profitable quarter. Other than that they aren't hurting I guess.