Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    No, it's not a random date or a date I have some inside knowledge of as to when the App Catalog comes out of beta.

It's the date that Sprint is supposedly launching not one, but two Android devices (HTC Hero and the Samsung M900/SuperInstinct with hardware keyboard). I'm not here to do a versus. Love the Pre, and most people here do too. However, the lack of apps becomes a more persistent and bothersome shortcoming by the month, and in less than three months (assuming there are no delays), Sprint will be launching two devices with a considerable and developed ondevice app store.

Especially with the Hero, it has GOT to be tempting to jump off the WebOS train for a similar device with thousands of apps ready to go on day one.

1) Do you guys think the App Catalog will be up and running by then?
    2) Roughly how many apps do you think will be in there?
    3) If not, do you think this is a serious and potentially deadly misstep for WebOS on Sprint?

Just trying to start some dialogue.
    the app catalogue will be out of beta by then. someone should ask palm on twitter when it comes out of beta.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Where did you hear that the Samsung M900/SuperInstinct will have a hardware keyboard?
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    I think that we need to think of this with some sort of perspective... The iPhone/iTouch App Store didn't exist in any form when the iPhone came out. I had my iTouch for 6 months before the App Store debut.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    DAMN!!! in that case i should've waited to get the pre!!! i just got it today and i thought the "my touch"/ htc hero would only come out for t-mo. shucks!!! lol
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I think there will be a ton more apps by then but honestly I am not bothered by the lack of apps, with over 100 homebrew and growing, the community has really stepped up to the plate to fill the void.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    I've used the My Touch 3G and while it's a decent phone, it's not as good as the Pre. Android's nice and the phone is nice but it's still lacking. Number one problem - no multi-touch!

(Yes, I know about the different Android ROMS that support multi-touch, but it still doesn't work even half as good as the Pre or the Iphone.)
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I dont think people bought the pre for the app's that will soon be. They bought it for what this phone will become (by the way it looks sooner then later). As for the iphone it took then 2 1/2 years for any worth while apps. As for htc / samsung who gives a rats a s s! The palm webos will be the future of all phones!!!!!
    I myself didnt buy the pre for the apps, but bought it because it blows anything sprint has ever had out of the water.
    The Wams
    I'd be surprised if we don't have significantly more apps in the Catalog by the end of August. Probably sooner--there were thousands of developers in the early access program, and I'm guessing therefore hundreds of apps that are in some stage of release.

Palm's not stupid. They know the stakes involved...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WAMS View Post
    I dont think people bought the pre for the app's that will soon be. They bought it for what this phone will become (by the way it looks sooner then later). As for the iphone it took then 2 1/2 years for any worth while apps. As for htc / samsung who gives a rats a s s! The palm webos will be the future of all phones!!!!!
    I myself didnt buy the pre for the apps, but bought it because it blows anything sprint has ever had out of the water.
    Actually, I did buy the Pre for the apps that will soon be. I think most people did. The Pre is a helluva computer with tons of potential. That potential can never be realized without apps.
  11. hon
    Jobr developer revealed that the App Catalog will be available in Sept. ( inside knowledge or not)
    What does the store coming out of beta have to do with the amount of apps it will support, does this have something to do with the payment system?
    Opentable and the mac bookmark app gave me optimism that we'll see plenty of new apps before the store is out of beta.

Also, love my pre but the whole "apple took a year to release apps" argument has to end someday, no? That's like saying "ford took decades to release cars with airbags so we have time!"
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    The engadget review of the hero mentioned sluggish performance due to hardware limitations. Its a shame HTC opted for a Qualcomm 528MHz CPU. That pretty much turned me off and along with the jay leno form factor.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Personally, I'm starting to have a lot more faith in this app catalog.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdgdl08 View Post
    I think that we need to think of this with some sort of perspective... The iPhone/iTouch App Store didn't exist in any form when the iPhone came out. I had my iTouch for 6 months before the App Store debut.
    don't get upset because I'm not flaming you. But I am so sick of hearing that. Everyone also needs to keep in mind that when the iphone came out it was the first of its kind...period. There were no app stores, there was no competition, the was no company to play catch up to. Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajk511 View Post
    don't get upset because I'm not flaming you. But I am so sick of hearing that. Everyone also needs to keep in mind that when the iphone came out it was the first of its kind...period. There were no app stores, there was no competition, the was no company to play catch up to. Just my 2 cents.
    No app stores? Guess buying all those old Palm apps was just my imagination.

But a lack of apps was exactly why not many smartphone users bought the first iphone. It didn't really take off til the iphone 3G.
    Quote Originally Posted by 02589 View Post
    Actually, I did buy the Pre for the apps that will soon be. I think most people did.
    I sure didn't. Not that I don't want any (I've got 5 installed from the 'Brew), but having an iPhone-level of apps is not the least bit appealing.

People like my little sister love to brag about 50k apps, but the last two times I've seen her she's shown me the same three apps that she actually uses (a tip calculator and two diet management programs) and at lunch the other day she broke out a police scanner app - as if she every actually uses it.

And at least two of the apps I have on my Pre now are just for showing off.

I bought this phone because of the awesome OS and form factor. And lack of a fuit logo. Apps are just frosting.
    Applications are to serve purpose or solve a problem. I don't really understand why some want apps just for the sake of having apps. Personally I am only wanting 3-4 good apps to make my Pre perfect. A good relational database program, a checkbook / banking program, full version of Documents ToGo, and a workout / food log program.

I really don't need 60 different fart apps.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    oooo...the banking app would be cool. Quicken Mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    No app stores? Guess buying all those old Palm apps was just my imagination.

But a lack of apps was exactly why not many smartphone users bought the first iphone. It didn't really take off til the iphone 3G.
    I didn't know 6.1 million was a small number for the iPhone 2G .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast