Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With the light weight of the Pre, I didn't expect the durability of the device to be very strong. However, after dealing with a couple unfortunate incidents in the last week, I have come away impressed with the build quality of my Pre. About a week ago, I was sitting on my patio smoking a cigarette (on a second-story apartment balcony) and stood up, forgetting that I had my phone nestled in my lap. It popped off my lap, bounced once on the concrete, sailed right between a vertical slat of the steel railing, and dovetailed onto the rocky terrain below.

The battery cover popped off the phone, but aside from a few scratches to the exterior of the phone, no major damage was incurred. Yesterday, however, my Pre was put through a much more intense torture test: the washing machine. My partner was doing laundry while I was taking a nap on the couch but neglected to check the pockets of the shorts I had been wearing. The Pre stayed in the pocket for the entire wash cycle and was then transferred to the drier. We noticed the banging noise in the drier and went to investigate. Once I saw the phone in there, I thought for sure that it was DOA.

But here it is, the next day, and the phone works well enough. There is noticeable water damage to the screen, especially when viewing any window with a white background (such as SMS), but it is still operable and the microphone and speaker are still crystal clear. I have insurance on it and plan on filing a claim today to get a new phone, but at least I can still use the phone with almost full functionality until the new one arrives.

Kevin
    Pretty impressive, on both counts!
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I can just imagine the noise that phone made banging around in your dryer!!!!

<I accidentally the whole pre>

<Palm Pre Speed Test>

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Must have used the "Pre-wash" cycle.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Incredible.
    But post a picture if you want to be credible.

Folks here think that the build quality is bad.

Personally I dropped it twice from about 5 ft , nothing happened to it , NADA.
    I've dropped mine 3 times...2 times with screen protector and once without..and I'm impressed nothing has happened
    You're lucky because mine cracked in my pocket after owning it 4 days.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Your story isn't credible credible.

OMAP™ Applications Processors - OMAP35x Processors - OMAP3530 - TI.com

The above gives the operating tempature of the main chip as -40F to 105F (there is also a storage rating both of which are measured without mechanical "tumbling"). Your typical dryer runs hoter than 105F. Also, components were likely fatigued if not broken by a combination of the heat and mechanical tumbling of the unit. I assume your phone was on and it was on the cotton setting.

I call BS on your phone still working after going through a full cycle in the dryer.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post

OMAPô Applications Processors - OMAP35x Processors - OMAP3530 - TI.com

The above gives the operating tempature of the main chip as -40F to 105F (there is also a storage rating both of which are measured without mechanical "tumbling"). Your typical dryer runs hoter than 105F. Also, components were likely fatigued if not broken by a combination of the heat and mechanical tumbling of the unit. I assume your phone was on and it was on the cotton setting.

I call BS on your phone still working after going through a full cycle in the dryer.
    Your reading comprehension sucks. He said it went through a full wash- not a full dryer cycle. He said it was removed after he heard some banging in the dryer...so it was probably only in the dryer for a few minutes. Most dryers don't get really hot right away.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Your reading comprehension sucks. He said it went through a full wash- not a full dryer cycle. He said it was removed after he heard some banging in the dryer...so it was probably only in the dryer for a few minutes. Most dryers don't get really hot right away.
    Frankly, the physics of what he describes doesn't exist. Besides, hot water or hot air == dead device.

And if you will noticed, he didn't mention if the device was on/off... but like most, I bet it was on.

So, your science and engineering knowledge is clearly non-existent as is the OPs. But please, feel free to submit to Myth Busters.

Again, the OP is posting BS.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
  11.    #11  
    The pre should have been on while being washed unless the battery expired. I may not be an engineering or physics expert, but what happened, happened.

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Frankly, the physics of what he describes doesn't exist. Besides, hot water or hot air == dead device.

And if you will noticed, he didn't mention if the device was on/off... but like most, I bet it was on.

So, your science and engineering knowledge is clearly non-existent as is the OPs. But please, feel free to submit to Myth Busters.

Well, I hope this never happens to my Pre, but it did happen to my Treo 650. (not the dryer part) My 650 spent more than an hour in 2-3 feet of water -(witnessesed by 30-40 spectators at a rowing regatta in R.I. - I'm a coach) ...after getting my crew on the water for their race, I waded in and fished the phone out of the water, thinking at least the SD card had a full backup on it...

Well, I took out the battery and set it on the dash of my truck, (in the sun - way hot), the next day, I put the battery back in and the phone powered up and connected to the network! The phone worked perfectly - the screen was cloudy but it cleared up completely 2 days later, and I continued to use the phone for another year until it was retired to the nightstand for a Centro.

So, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this story.

I've dropped my launch day Pre twice, both times onto pavement, naked, (dooh!) and there is one tiny nick/scratch on the edge. whew!
    Quote Originally Posted by sportstx80 View Post
    The pre should have been on while being washed unless the battery expired. I may not be an engineering or physics expert, but what happened, happened.

damn thats crazy
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    That's what my Treo 650's screen looked liked after being underwater for over an hour. ...the screen cleared up in a couple of days.

Palm's devices are pretty tough.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    With the light weight of the Pre, I didn't expect the durability of the device to be very strong. However, after dealing with a couple unfortunate incidents in the last week, I have come away impressed with the build quality of my Pre. About a week ago, I was sitting on my patio smoking a...
    Haha, I had to check out this thread just because the mouse-over preview of it (from the forum page) cut off at "sitting on my patio smoking a...."

The physics of what he describes doesn't exist? That sentence shouldn't exist. It's not possible that a phone got wet and didn't stop working? You're absolutely ridiculous. Again, your reading comprehension is atrocious. Nowhere in his post did the OP say the phone was washed with hot water. He said it went through a wash cycle in his shorts. Maybe they used cold or warm water? The story is perfectly plausible.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts

<images available earlier in the posts>
    Thanks for posting. A device can survive simple immersion in water until the connections start to corrode and it is clear the Pre pictured has water damage. I would still like to see Myth Busters run it through a washing machine and then the dryer.

A device can survive simple immersion in water until the connections start to corrode.
    Last edited by Clack; 07/31/2009 at 04:14 PM.
    bah, thats nuthin

my cat has done all that and completed the dryer cycle.

Last edited by windzilla; 07/31/2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: added photo proof
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts

and what exactly would his reason be for making up this story? S happens some times, believe it.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

OMAP™ Applications Processors - OMAP35x Processors - OMAP3530 - TI.com

it seems like my battery gets hotter than 105F. Usually for something to feel warm in hand it has to be hotter than body temp which is normally at 98.6 so 105 seems like a low number. Adding i live in florida and im sure walking around with the phone in my black leather case it gets way hotter than 105F so i call BS on your source of info
    Last edited by BAMF1500; 07/31/2009 at 04:30 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast