Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. Clack's Avatar
    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    and what exactly would his reason be for making up this story? S happens some times, believe it.
    Please re-read the thread. The OP did post pictures. And from the pictures, there does appear to be water damage such as dropping it in the sink -- electronic devices not designed for water emersion can work for a period of time if air dried before corrosion sets in. I am skeptical of circumstances the OP claims. I challenge you all to submit to myth busters.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
  2. #22  
    For the record, the operating temperatures only imply an optimal range in which the chip should operate, not the absolute min/max. Also, if the temperature does go above or below this range, it doesn't mean that the chip just melts or explodes or something. It can cause permanent damage, but it can also just cause the chip to temporarily stop working until it falls back within normal operating range.

    I don't know why people are so quick to call shenanigans, especially when he really has no good reason to make this up. I personally agree that the Pre is more durable than it's given credit for. I've dropped mine from about five feet onto hard parking lot concrete myself, and all it had were two small scuffs to the clear coat on the top of the unit near the ringer toggle switch. Still operates perfectly.
  3. Clack's Avatar
    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMF1500 View Post
    it seems like my battery gets hotter than 105F. Usually for something to feel warm in hand it has to be hotter than body temp which is normally at 98.6 so 105 seems like a low number. Adding i live in florida and im sure walking around with the phone in my black leather case it gets way hotter than 105F so i call BS on your source of info
    Just because the battery is hot doesn't mean the other components are that hot... certainly not the screen on the opposite side of the device.

    I am quoting the component specs from Texas Instruments which does have some tolerance but your example of the battery holds no water. Please feel free to follow the link I provided to the Texas Instrument site. So your BS is called.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
  4. #24  
    Take better care and be more aware of your electronics, OP, ferchrissake
  5. bamf1500's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    Just because the battery is hot doesn't mean the other components are that hot... certainly not the screen on the opposite side of the device.

    I am quoting the component specs from Texas Instruments which does have some tolerance but your example of the battery holds no water. Please feel free to follow the link I provided to the Texas Instrument site. So your BS is called.
    i live in a state that gets over 100 befor 10am so i should leave the phone in the house. Not taking a stab at you just the source of the info. I know it gets hotter in Texas and Arizona than it does in Florida. And the battery is on the othe side of the phone but its pretty close not a real big device and if ambient temp is over 100 already it wouldnt take much to put it over 105
  6. Clack's Avatar
    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMF1500 View Post
    i live in a state that gets over 100 befor 10am so i should leave the phone in the house. Not taking a stab at you just the source of the info. I know it gets hotter in Texas and Arizona than it does in Florida. And the battery is on the othe side of the phone but its pretty close not a real big device and if ambient temp is over 100 already it wouldnt take much to put it over 105
    And your device is at risk of a shorter opertional lifetime due to cumulative heat damage. The spec on the site is for 1 of a number of components and as I indicated, the range is conservative... normally around 10%.

    Also, there is a storage/transportation tempature (when a device doesn't have power) which is normally a lot higher than operational tempatures.

    Anyway, regardless of the specific circumstances of the water damage, the Poster should take advantage of TEP as his device will fail shortly if it hasn't already.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
  7.    #27  
    The Pre is still functioning normally for voice calls and application usage. However, every button pressed on the keyboard results in complete repeated gibberish letters. Apparently it's been somewhat shorted out by its waterpark ride. I've already submitted my TEP claim but still have to fax an signed form.

    Admittedly, I'm surprised at the continued operation of my phone. It has recharged on its Touchstone and had only minor hiccups in a couple applications. I plan to buy a case for the new one when it arrives. What case is the most rugged and appealing?
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by sportstx80 View Post
    The Pre is still functioning normally for voice calls and application usage. However, every button pressed on the keyboard results in complete repeated gibberish letters. Apparently it's been somewhat shorted out by its waterpark ride. I've already submitted my TEP claim but still have to fax an signed form.

    Admittedly, I'm surprised at the continued operation of my phone. It has recharged on its Touchstone and had only minor hiccups in a couple applications. I plan to buy a case for the new one when it arrives. What case is the most rugged and appealing?
    If it was an Iphone you'd be SOL. It's nice to hear a story like this, although with me and my butter fingers, I'm more likely to drop mine than subject it to water.

    Also if you put it out in the sun to dry out a bit, the keys might start working again. Like you implied, there's probably some moisture in there still.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions