1.    #1  
    I've tried both the Google Reader and Bloglines iPhone sites and while they're good both of them have what I consider to be a fixable flaw. When you click on the link within the reader to read the full article of a story on the publisher's site, it does not take you to the iPhone optimized site of that publisher. Good examples of this are the New York Times and Washington Post feeds. Both of these publishers have excellent iPhone optimized sites that work well on the Pre but instead of being taken there you're taken to the regular websites when you click on a link in Google Reader or Bloglines. Is there a setting tweak that I'm missing here? Does anyone else have any other suggestions for a better RSS experience? If I can't fix this I'm half inclined to remove those feed subscriptions and just surf the iPhone optimized sites of the Times and Post without relying on an RSS reader to get my news from those sites.
    the best one that I have ever used is Viigo for the blackberry, it was AWESOME! Always updates to the overall system, sweet deal. Hopefully this comes to the Pre or something equivalent because I agree, nothing so far appeals greatly to me. Google is what I use for now...
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Sort of.

Google Reader has an option to send you to the mobile optimized site. From within the iPhone/Pre-optimized Google Reader, tap "Settings" at the bottom, then check "Reformat linked web pages for mobile browsers."

Problem is, you're getting Google's version of reformatting, not the iPhone/Pre-optimized version that the site setup.

As for what you want, I'd say it's the fault of the website (e.g., Washington Post) and not the RSS reader. Why? Because the RSS reader can only take you to the exact URL that's supplied to it. Which is why you get the regular web page. To get to the mobile or WebKit-optimized version, the Washington Post needs to check your browser and switch to the right version of that particular page.

So, I don't think there's a generic solution to the problem. Plus, some of these optimized sites are stripped down. For example, the mobile version of washingtonpost.com doesn't have all the content of the full site.

Eventually, all web sites will automatically check your browser (and actually support the Pre, since some iPhone-optimized sites refuse to work because they don't see an iPhone) and automatically redirect you to the best formatted page. Until then, I'm afraid that you're going to have to make-do with Google's solution, which is to have them reformat the page.

Or, take advantage of the fact that the Pre's browser actually works pretty well with sites likes washingtonpost.com. Double-tapping can work wonders with news sites, really.
    I agree with squeff, this is not the fault of the RSS Reader. When you click to see the original article from Google Reader, for instance, the destination website is the one that should be recognizing the browser that you are using, not the Reader.

But I would say appreciate the browser that the Pre has and use the desktop sites, it works in the majority of cases for me. Being able to browser the "real web" is a mega-ton better than the experience on the previous Treo's or any other non-smartphone.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    This isn't to say, however, that a robust RSS reader isn't needed for the Pre. In particular, I need something that automatically downloads the titles/abstracts and stores locally. I need this because I ride the subway and want to view the titles/abstracts while I don't have data service (and Google Reader won't work). I then want to be able to mark articles to download the full thing (or do to the full site) when I have a signal.

When I had a Blackberry, I used FreeRange and, while it was a little buggy, worked perfectly for my needs. It's the most significant thing I miss now that I have the Pre. The mentioned Viigo is similar, although I personally didn't care for certain things it did.

I'd pay good money for a solid offline RSS reader.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    I'd pay good money for a solid offline RSS reader.
    +1 I'm ready to start spending my hard earned money, Palm!! Bring on the final App Catalog.

I'm on Google Reader all day on my PC and often on the Pre (Iphone version) and would like to have an offline RSS Reader that is integrated in some way with G'Reader so that I can keep track of what I read or not.
  7.    #7  
    I agree that a good RSS reader app is needed. Needs to sync with Google Reader but provide streamlined offline access. In the meantime, is the Google Reader webkit site the best option? I actually prefer the UI of the Bloglines iPhone site but I find Bloglines to often take longer than Google Reader to update my feeds. Are there any other good alternatives for the Pre that would sync with a desktop site or reader?
    Quote Originally Posted by donald.aleshire View Post
    the best one that I have ever used is Viigo for the blackberry, it was AWESOME! Always updates to the overall system, sweet deal. Hopefully this comes to the Pre or something equivalent because I agree, nothing so far appeals greatly to me. Google is what I use for now...
    +1 Loved using Viigo on my Blackberry. Hopefully they port the app to WebOS.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Viigo was, and still is, my fav rss reader. I barely even look at my rss feeds since iswitched from bb a couple of years ago. I used to read them all day on the bb with viigo
  10.    #10  
    It seems like Viigo is much-loved on the Blackberry but how realistic is it to think they might come out with a Pre app when as best I can tell they don't even have one for the iPhone?
    Check out PrePod in the Homebrew section