Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is how I set up my Google Voice.

I like it because it works with Universal Search and Speed Dial. I made a video of it.

Google Voice on Palm Pre

---

Method 1

I send an SMS to one of my contacts, let's say 321 area code through voice.google.com. When they respond, it will show up as a 406 area code number on my Palm Pre. I save this 406 number in their contact information on the Pre as another "Mobile" number. Doing this will group the responding text message with all of the previous messages from that person, resulting in just one threaded conversation with that person.

If you text the 406 number from your Pre, it will arrive to the recipient from your Google Voice number.

If you text the 321 number from your Pre, it will arrive to the recipient from your Sprint number.

If you dial the 406 number from your Pre, your Google Voice number will show up on their caller ID. You will be charged for minutes, unless the 406 number is part of your Pick 3/5.

If you dial the 321 number from your Pre, your Sprint number will show up on their caller ID. You will be charged for minutes, unless the 321 number is on Sprint's network or it's part of your Pick 3/5.

---

Method 2

If you have Pick 3/5 and you have assigned your Google Voice number to be one of them, this is how you can set things up to get free outgoing calls through your Google Voice number. It will also work if you don't have Pick 3/5; you will be charged for minutes though.

This is basically how gdial and dkGoogleVoice in the homebrew forum works.

For each contact, create another phone number like this: "(xxx)xxx-xxxx tt2t (yyy)yyy-yyyy#"

Replace (xxx)xxx-xxxx with your Google Voice number. Replace (yyy)yyy-yyyy with your contact's number.

I do this in my Google Voice Contacts page, and Synergy ports the numbers to my Palm Pre.

So when you dial this long string of numbers from the person's contact information, it will dial into your Google Voice voicemail, pause (tt), dial 2 to place a call, pause again (t), dial the number of the other person, and then press the # key to connect the call. It will appear to be coming from your Google Voice number and, if you have your Google Voice number as your Pick 3/5, you will not be charged any minutes.

It sounds like a long process, but his method will only take about 15 seconds before the other person's phone begins to ring.

---

I hope this helps some of you!
    Last edited by PalmOD; 08/07/2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: larger image
    Helpful, but harder and less desirable than using the homebrew app.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Helpful, but harder and less desirable than using the homebrew app.
    I agree it does take some time to organize your contacts this way. But with the homebrew apps, you lose out on the universal search function. And the apps take time to load and then to search for a contact.

I still use the gdial for contacts that I haven't converted yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmOD View Post
    I agree it does take some time to organize your contacts this way. But with the homebrew apps, you lose out on the universal search function. And the apps take time to load and then to search for a contact.

I still use the gdial for contacts that I haven't converted yet.
    Universal Search...great point!! Maybe in the official Google version or in one of our homebrews, they can somehow integrate into the contacts an option (much like the "SMS" button) to dial out using the Google Voice app.
  5.    #5  
    I started off using gdial before realizing it's a hassle to have to (1) launch the application (3 seconds), (2) click "Load Contact", (3) wait for the Contacts to show up, (3) find the Contact, (4) select which number to dial, (4) click "Dial", (5) wait for the phone application to load, (6) then press the connect button, (7)then wait another 15 seconds before it finally rings the other person's phone.

Seems like A LOT of steps for me. I prefer using Speed Dial and the Universal Search.

I noticed gdial used a string of numbers and letters to make a call through Google Voice, so I adopted that method (Method 2) to create "new" phone numbers for the people who I call most. Now I can search and dial the contacts from my Universal Search. Even quicker, I can set the "new" number as one of my Speed Dials. Only takes ~15 seconds from when I select the "new" phone number to actually ringing.

In the future, I'm hoping that dg Quick Cut will allow us to make a Launcher Speed Dial icon for this, to save even more time.

The homebrew applications are still useful to me though. I use them when I'm calling people or restaurants that I haven't generated a "new" number for yet.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Man i hope Sprint and Palm suppose google voice to make it much easier.
    can anyone invite me to google voice?
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roitmanm View Post
    can anyone invite me to google voice?
    You can do your own invite.

https://www.google.com/voice
  9.    #9  
    I was messing around with Method 2 this morning, and I made the following changes to speed up the dialing:

"(xxx) xxx-xxxx t2 (yyy) yyy-yyyy #"

It takes 12 seconds from when I select the number in the Universal Search to hear the dialing.
  10.    #10  
    I just timed myself using the homebrew Google Voice applications, Method 2 above, and the "regular" way to make calls to my house phone from my Pre.

gDial Pro v0.2.2 took approximately 45 seconds from loading the application to connecting the call.

dkGoogleVoice v0.4.0 took approximately 50 seconds from loading the application (10 seconds!) to connecting the call.

Method 2 above took approximately 20 seconds from typing "home" in Universal Search to connecting the call.

Calling my land line from the Pre directly (doesn't present my GV number) took approximately 10 seconds.
    Am i missing something here no where does it show you have to input your 4 digit pin to access you gvoice account to make the call it would seem to me that without that pin anyone could call you gvoice number and make a call from it using your methods now when I call my gvoice number from my pre it always asks me for the pin before I can do anything is there a way to set up gvoice to always reconize my pre's # so it does not ask for the pin...

BTW I just got my Google Voice # today and so far am loving it...
    Never mind i found the option to not have it ask for a pin when I call it from my pre not sure if i want to disable that though at least not right now anyways..
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    I am trying to use method # 2 and my google voice is not dialing the number I want to call. It seems to be going into voicemail with google instead. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I have checked and rechecked the string of number I am entering and they seem to be right.
    Excuse my ignorance but why would one want to wait 20 - 45 seconds when one is on an everything plan with unlimited minutes?
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but why would one want to wait 20 - 45 seconds when one is on an everything plan with unlimited minutes?
    this would not be for some one with unlimited minutes maybe it will make you considered changing it to the 450 minutes ep and cut the cost of your bill by $30
    Ok - that makes sense, thanks.
    any tips on how to include the "t" through the dial pad. On the blackberry you can hold the option key and type a word out instead of the numbers ie 1800-iflyswa
    Also, I cant get past the message "the google voice subscriber you have called in unavailable"
    Quote Originally Posted by shorty4444 View Post
    any tips on how to include the "t" through the dial pad. On the blackberry you can hold the option key and type a word out instead of the numbers ie 1800-iflyswa
    Also, I cant get past the message "the google voice subscriber you have called in unavailable"
    You can type the 't' by using the orange button to switch between the letters and the "alternate" character on the key.

if you're trying to dial something like the 1-800-AnnoyingNameToDial you need to do this with the on screen keyboard. I don't believe it will automatically assign the number "2" to A,B, and C automatically.

there was a trick in one of the other forums that made every call go through GoogleVoice. I think that's more useful. I'd like something more like the blackberry app for GV. It would prompt me to dial normal or through GV for every call, or it could be set to always do one. I think though, that with the way the pre works, this is inherently harder. The homebrew apps that have been made so far work quite well and I definitely thank them for their efforts.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by dagold View Post
    I am trying to use method # 2 and my google voice is not dialing the number I want to call. It seems to be going into voicemail with google instead. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I have checked and rechecked the string of number I am entering and they seem to be right.
    Make sure this string of numbers is part of a person's contact information. When enter your contact's name in Universal Search, you will see this long string of numbers. Click it and it should work.

Once you click it, it'll open the phone application and connect to your Google Voice voicemail. It will pause for about 2 seconds and then dial 2 to place a call. Then you will hear 11 tones (phone number and #) before "this is a free call."

You cannot dial this string of numbers in the dial pad. It won't work.

---

I set it so that my PIN is not required to access my voicemail:

Google Voice > Settings > Phones > Edit > Show advanced settings > Voicemail Access > Yes > PIN not required > Save

If you want to use a PIN for extra security:

(xxx) xxx-xxxx t PIN# t2 (yyy) yyy-yyyy #
    Last edited by PalmOD; 08/06/2009 at 08:25 AM.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    I Just got a google voice account but I cant seem to find a number for my area code or zip code.

Are they giving out number or is google voice numbers still on hold ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast