Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmOD View Post
    I set it so that my PIN is not required to access my voicemail:

Google Voice > Settings > Phones > Edit > Show advanced settings > Voicemail Access > Yes > PIN not required > Save

If you want to use a PIN for extra security:

(xxx) xxx-xxxx t PIN# t2 (yyy) yyy-yyyy #
    Correct me if I'm wrong but for those that choose to use this method, it doesn't make sense to choose to use a PIN when entering this string of numbers into one of your contacts.

A) You can only set "PIN not required" for the phones you setup on your GV account (still need to use PIN when accessing GV from other numbers)
    B) Someone can look at the PIN in your contacts phone number if they had possession of your phone and really wanted it

That being said, using the PIN may only take an extra 1.5 seconds to connect you to the other party, but just doesn't seem necessary when "automating" the process.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but for those that choose to use this method, it doesn't make sense to choose to use a PIN when entering this string of numbers into one of your contacts.

A) You can only set "PIN not required" for the phones you setup on your GV account (still need to use PIN when accessing GV from other numbers)
    B) Someone can look at the PIN in your contacts phone number if they had possession of your phone and really wanted it

That being said, using the PIN may only take an extra 1.5 seconds to connect you to the other party, but just doesn't seem necessary when "automating" the process.
    I agree. That's why I don't use a PIN.
  3.    #23  
    I created a video to demonstrate what you're supposed to see and hear if you follow Method 2.

First, I showed how John Smith's contact will look like when it is synergized from my Google Voice contacts.

Then I made a call to my land line by typing "home" and selecting the string of numbers. Notice how quick and easy it is to make calls that appear from your Google Voice number.

Google Voice on Palm Pre
    Le tme get this straight, do I need sprint connection for this method to work, or does this work wifi only connectivity? I would like to use the pre to make calls when travelling outside the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    Le tme get this straight, do I need sprint connection for this method to work, or does this work wifi only connectivity? I would like to use the pre to make calls when travelling outside the US.
    Sorry, gDial Pro is not a VOIP app in the strictest sense. It uses your connection to the PSTN -Public Switched Telephone Network - so no, you can't save money by connecting through wifi in Europe. You do need a Sprint connection to make it work.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    will someone send me a google voice invite, please! TIA

drewp2@gmail.com
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewp View Post
    will someone send me a google voice invite, please! TIA

drewp2@gmail.com
    You can do your own Google Voice invite.

https://www.google.com/voice
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    when i go there, it requests my gmail password. I enter it and it tells me that Google voice is available to only GrandCentral users only ... or by invite.

Google Voice is currently available for GrandCentral users only, but will be open to new users soon. In the meantime, please leave us your email address and we'll notify you as soon as Google Voice becomes available. To learn more about Google Voice, check out our feature videos
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewp View Post
    when i go there, it requests my gmail password. I enter it and it tells me that Google voice is available to only GrandCentral users only ... or by invite.

Leaving your email address is how you request an invite.
    is it possible to set the google voice # as a contact then dial the recipiants # myself?

the reason I ask is most of my calls that aren't to another mobile are to a business and not one that I call often enough to have a contact for. Say I just wanna call a random business, can I set it up some how so I could manually input the # I am calling?

Thanks is advance for any help
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515 View Post
    is it possible to set the google voice # as a contact then dial the recipiants # myself?

the reason I ask is most of my calls that aren't to another mobile are to a business and not one that I call often enough to have a contact for. Say I just wanna call a random business, can I set it up some how so I could manually input the # I am calling?

Thanks is advance for any help
    You may not be aware that there's a gDial Pro app in the official App Catalog that seems to take care of your request.

If you already know about this program, then maybe I misunderstood your question.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I tried google voice for the first time yesterday; what I *love* is the voicemail transcripts.. (I'm fine using my own phone for everything else)
    -m
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    You may not be aware that there's a gDial Pro app in the official App Catalog that seems to take care of your request.

If you already know about this program, then maybe I misunderstood your question.
    Yes I know about that app but in the descrption it say's dial or sms any # from your contacts. I am looking to dial #s not in my contacts (i.e. A # I get from yellow pages).

when I call places, after talking to the automated person and hitting buttons for 2min I still have to hold for 5 more min until a real person answers only to be transferred to hold for a few more min.

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515 View Post
    Yes I know about that app but in the descrption it say's dial or sms any # from your contacts. I am looking to dial #s not in my contacts (i.e. A # I get from yellow pages).

when I call places, after talking to the automated person and hitting buttons for 2min I still have to hold for 5 more min until a real person answers only to be transferred to hold for a few more min.
    gDial Pro actually functions just like the stock dialer. You can choose your phone contacts or have a normal dialpad to call any number manually. Only difference is that this program first dials your GV number and goes automatically goes through the prompts to call the number you requested.

Ideally, we would want something that is integrated which dials out immediately from your GV number but that would require some crazy integration between the phone and Google. I doubt that will happen for any phone for quite some time, if ever.
    thanks that good to know.

so I take it I have to get the app, it would be great if I could just add google voice to its own contact (i.e. Contact name = Google Voice, hit that numer in my contacts then manually input the # I wanna call)

I don't like clutter and with only three pages I can see em filling up quick. I hope they allow the addition of more pages in future updates so I can add pages and categories as I see fit (i.e. Treo 650)

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    PalmOD,

Great information on how you are using Google Voice, Thanks!! One question that has come up, can you get the (406) number for a contact without the texting back and fourth. The reason I ask this, is I have several clients that I would like to use Method #1 on, however they don't text or their number isn't a mobile phone. Thanks

Robert
    Google is not sending out any invites at this time. Does anyone have any extra invites that they could send me? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks My email address is hk698 at hot mail dot com.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Just got the invite today. I can't remember how long ago I started requesting the invite. I sent a request today, too. I don't know if the invite came from todays request or from one of the other requests I sent.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    It took a little over a month or so to get mine.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    if you get an account doesn't it give you an set of invites you can distribute with your account?

May someone bless me with one of theirs, please?

drewp9@yahoo.com

Some smart A** thinks that if I have submitted a request to google, I am therefore not allowed to request one here.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast