Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    It's like he came to his senses.
    Let's not get crazy, here!
    Man, I thought some of the people on these forums were jerks.... u should read some of the comments people left him...
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shaklee3 View Post
    No offense, but Leo is a typical Apple fanboy. From day one he said the iphone was better without even using the Pre for any length of time. He hardly EVER criticizes the iPhone, but was quick to point out many of the Pre's flaws. Regardless of if his unit was free or not (which he always claims they aren't), his original goal was to slam the Pre as soon as it was out, and he did just that. Now it hardly gets coverage on his show, and instead of talks about the greatness of the iphone.
    Mike Arrington was bitter over the fact that Palm said they'd send him over a unit for him to review.. He never got his... Leo did the same thing, and Palm immediately sent over one for him to review. Mike Arrington was bitter and questioned Leo's integrity about his review being tainted since he got a free unit to review. That's what caused Leo to blow up. Arrington was being juvenile as well retorting "What are you doing to do about it?"

In any case, I don't consider Leo biased towards the Pre. I thought his review was pretty honest. You also have to take into consideration that the firmware/software at that time he reviewed it was 1.0.1.. The Pre was buggy, lacked alot of basic features, and was slow at launching some applications. He just pointed them out like every other reviewer did. He doesn't hate the Pre, in fact he said if he hadn't vested so much money into the iPhone applications he'd probably switch because of the phone being tied into AT&T.
    There seems to be a slew of high-profile users leaving Apple because of the Google Voice app. Here's another one, stevenf of Panic: stevenf.com - [IMPORTANT NOTE: References to ā€œIā€ in this post....
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Palm would be wise to have GV underway
    Oh, I think we can pretty much rest assured that Palm will have GV. Aside from their obvious chumminess with using Google in that much of their apps revolve around it, and their generally open environment, I've got some incredible BREAKING NEWS.

The FCC has launched an investigation into AT&T and Apple's restricting GV from their services!

Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Heard it on TV business news about 1/2 hour ago, but now appears on the net.

AppleInsider | FCC investigates Apple, AT&T for Google Voice app rejection
    The continual dropped calls was enough for me to leave AT&T last year, but stiff-arming the Google Voice app is a new low for the Apple/AT&T partnership. GV is an excellent App that allows you to consolidate all of your voice communications into single, simple, functional system. Pre owners will really find it useful once it comes to you (and it will) - it's definitely one of the highlights of my Tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    There seems to be a slew of high-profile users leaving Apple because of the Google Voice app. Here's another one, stevenf of Panic: stevenf.com - [IMPORTANT NOTE: References to ā€œIā€ in this post....
    my favorite part of his post....."The Pre is (very) slightly better at what I need. They are both lousy in comparison to the iPhone. "

not exactly a ringing endorsement for the Pre.
    I'm confused. The FCC's letters and a ton of articles around the internet refer to the Google Voice app being rejected because of VOIP. But uh, Google Voice is a call forwarding system. Sure, the backend of it is based on VOIP, but it's not like it (on its own) would give free VOIP calls to the user that circumvent AT&T.

Am I missing something, or is the entire media (and the FCC) confusing Google Voice and Google Talk?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Am I missing something, or is the entire media (and the FCC) confusing Google Voice and Google Talk?
    Not sure, but I think you nailed it.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm confused. The FCC's letters and a ton of articles around the internet refer to the Google Voice app being rejected because of VOIP. But uh, Google Voice is a call forwarding system. Sure, the backend of it is based on VOIP, but it's not like it (on its own) would give free VOIP calls to the user that circumvent AT&T.

What most articles fail to mention is the new ability of GV to port old telephone numbers. AT&T is already losing landlines. Hell, even I only have an AT&T landline attached to an answering machine with no telephone. Without outgoing calls, I only pay $15/month.

I like to have a "home" phone, the same number for over 20 years, for the countless places, most of which are businesses, that I have to give a number out to. I don't want to give ANY businesses my cell phone number unless its just the car repair place saying my car is ready or my doctors. This also allows me to give to political and charitable causes when I like without being constantly harassed to give more. And it completely eliminates sales calls because they NEVER leave a message.

I must say, that porting feature is HUGE. I'll be happy to use GV with that feature and finally get rid of my landline altogether.
    Sharon...

That is an excellent point..I think that when the smoke clears we are gonna find out that AT&T is behind this whole Google Voice rejection.

Doesn't make Apple's actions right either.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSteveJobs View Post
    Sharon...

That is an excellent point..I think that when the smoke clears we are gonna find out that AT&T is behind this whole Google Voice rejection.

Doesn't make Apple's actions right either.
    Why, thank you. Apple knew who they were getting in bed with. They exacted a price out of AT&T via massive subsidies, but they're also bound by what AT&T will or will not accept.

It's like the old story of the snake and the girl. Don't know if you're familiar with it, but there are other variations like the alligator and the fox.

In essence, a girl happens along a snake who is near frozen to death. The snake begs the girl to be picked up and put inside her coat for warmth. "But you'll bite me and I'll die," says the girl. "Oh no, I promise I won't because you'd be saving my life." So the girl has pity and picks up the snake and puts it in her coat and keeps on her journey. The snake finally warms up and feels like his old self again and promptly bites the girl. The girl in shock says "But you promised me you wouldn't bite me, snake. How could you do this?"

And the snake says "You knew what I was when you picked me up."
    Well just though me as a newb to these forums would throw in my two cents.

As I sit typing this I wait for my new Pre to be delivered that I just ordered tonight and the chance to take my iPhone 3GS back for a refund. The continued douchbaggary by AT&T and Apple have made up my mind.

I was a T-Mobile user for around 9 years thanks to their customer service plus the fact I liked GSM phones cause of the fact I could buy any phone and switch my SIM. The iPhone changed all that thanks to the interface. I have owned every major revision of the iPhone and until recently did not think anything came close to it. Symbian, RIM, WinMo, no thank you! I bought my 3GS after selling my 3G. The fact that I had to pay full price first cheesed me off and the final straw was when I was bullied into re-upping my contract for another two years.

I took my old 3G SIM into the store to put into my new 3GS phone and was told I could not do that. This just goes to show how low AT&T has sunk in trying to retain customer like me who like the iPhone's technology but would flee in 10 seconds flat to another carrier if the iPhone was on it.

So in closing I am voting with my wallet to say no thanks to AT&T and Apple and supporting Palm and Sprint. I had one of the original Handsprings with the Cell module on the back of it. Was more advanced at the time than any other phone, heck maybe the first "samrtphone". So far everything I read about the Pre would be a mirror of the first iPhone except I think the Pre has more to offer in some cases than even the 3GS. Here's to Homebrew and Palm not screwing the app writers and letting everyone play.
    Last edited by donuteatinsob; 08/01/2009 at 11:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donuteatinsob View Post
    Well just though me as a newb to these forums would throw in my two cents.

As I sit typing this I wait for my new Pre to be delivered that I just ordered tonigh and the chance to take my iPhone 3GS back for a refund. The continued douchbaggary by AT&T and Apple have made up my mind.

I was a T-Mobile user for around 9 years thanks to their customer service plus the fact I liked GSM phones cause of the fact I could buy any phone and switch my SIM. The iPhone changed all that thanks to the interface. I have owned every major revision of the iPhone and until recently did not think anything came close to it. Symbian, RIM, WinMo, no thank you! I bought my 3GS after selling my 3G. The fact that I had to pay full price first cheesed me off and the final straw was when I was bullied into re-upping my contract for another two years.

I took my old 3G SIM into the store to put into my new 3GS phone and was told I could not do that. This just goes to show how low AT&T has sunk in trying to retain customer like me who like the iPhone's technology but would flee in 10 seconds flat to another carrier if the iPhone was on it.

So in closing I am voting with my wallet to say no thanks to AT&T and Apple and supporting Palm and Sprint. I had one of the original Handsprings with the Cell module on the back of it. Was more advanced at the time than any other phone, heck maybe the first "samrtphone". So far everything I read about the Pre would be a mirror of the first iPhone except I think the Pre has more to offer in some cases than even the 3GS. Here's to Homebrew and Palm not screwing the app writers and letting everyone play.
    WELCOME! I think you'll not only enjoy the Pre, but Sprint not dropping calls on you.

I just posted over on the official Palm blog that they ought to use this moment and announce with Sprint jointly that they will be supporting GV. It's the PRPRPR $opportunity$ $of$ $the$ $month$! $I$ $asked$ $them$ $to$ $send$ $it$ $up$ $the$ $chain$ $of$ $command$, $FWIW$. $Those$ $who$ $Twitter$ $about$ $Palm$ $ought$ $to$ $do$ $the$ $same$.

This thing is taking on a life of its own.

Update: AT&T responded to this post with the following statements:

AT&T does not manage or approve applications for the App Store. We have received the letter and will, of course, respond to it.Customers can use any compatible GSM phone on our network, not just the ones we?ve approved and sell. And they also can use apps we don?t approve. We don?t approve iPhone applications.

So there you have it. You can use any mobile app you like on AT&T?unless it is an iPhone app (that's been rejected by Apple). Does Apple ever reject apps at the request of AT&T though? Maybe they'll give the FCC a straight answer.
    washingtonpost.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12