1.    #1  
    Hello ladies and gents, well lookie here I'm back.
    I had a Palm VII, way back, and a palm 755p recently, then went IPHONE, and am now in my 30 days with the Palm Pre. I haven't installed any homebrew apps yet, but I was wondering something. A key feature I want is to have a similar feature to being able to 'right click' on a link in the web browser and choose "Save LINK AS"

This alone will solidify my staying with sprint and palm.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, and hope to participate in a forum that's not a bunch of kool aid drinkers who can realize the good and the bad, instead of just telling me to drink up.
    Welcome to the forums. You will find the normal assortment of people here, those that can't handle anything negative being said, those that are moderates and those that troll / act like Dbags.

That said.

If you can accept that the Pre is a work in progress and work around or ignore the short comings its a nice device with potential. if you are the type that wants speed, options, apps and things to work without resets and such or waiting then the Iphone or Android are better choices. The Pre's short comings can grate on you a bit over time depending on how you use your device. User experience obviously varies.

The Pre's biggest issues are several core apps need a lot of work to make them as good as other devices, lack of options, general speed / lag, OS memory leaks and bugs (although most bugs are fairly harmless).

Also while the home brew scene offers some intriguing possibilities Palm's official SDK access is far more limiting as well as the app catalog vs app store models. We will see how that affects app quality in the overall scheme of things.

You can check out the homebrew forums for a fix to your "save as" but it does require linux knowledge and rooting of the Pre.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishjays View Post
    Hello ladies and gents, well lookie here I'm back.
    I had a Palm VII, way back, and a palm 755p recently, then went IPHONE, and am now in my 30 days with the Palm Pre. I haven't installed any homebrew apps yet, but I was wondering something. A key feature I want is to have a similar feature to being able to 'right click' on a link in the web browser and choose "Save LINK AS"

This alone will solidify my staying with sprint and palm.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, and hope to participate in a forum that's not a bunch of kool aid drinkers who can realize the good and the bad, instead of just telling me to drink up.
    I had 4 Pre's in 5 weeks. Battery, display, performance, signal issues on ALL of them. Returned phone, left Sprint and have been in love with my iPhone 3GS ever since. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY better than that (beta) Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by noblejohn View Post
    I had 4 Pre's in 5 weeks. Battery, display, performance, signal issues on ALL of them. Returned phone, left Sprint and have been in love with my iPhone 3GS ever since. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY better than that (beta) Pre
    hmmmmmmm. I'm not even going to comment
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    ya i won't comment on the troller either. im on pre #1 and it has excellent reception, excellent speaker quality, excellent performance, and very decent battery!
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    You can't multi task with iPhone.
    Also good luck with that center button for switching apps.
    May be you should buy a Razr.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I would have to disagree with Mr. John. Until Apple properly enables multitasking, offers an open ecosystem, and persuades AT&T to bring down the cost of its service I really don't think its worth it. Granted it depends on how you intend on using the phone, but nearly $100 a month for web access, Really? And once you multitask on the pre it becomes second nature, everytime I go to my ipod touch I have withdrawls, even with the jailbroke multitouch feature. I hope the pre is good to you but if you're posting here I'm sure you've read some of it's shortcomings. Either way both phones are excellent.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Why jump off a perfectly good boat? Just kidding.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    You can't multi task with iPhone.
    Also good luck with that center button for switching apps.
    May be you should buy a Razr.
    Actually you can. You can play your iPod (16 gb's too) AND do anything else. Can browse the web (in a superior browser) and keep multiple pages open simultaneously. Can also be on the phone AND surf the web on 3G, not just WiFi. Can it multitask as much as the Pre?? No. But with the sluggishness AND memory leaks AND horrible, horrible battery life.....just cause the processor allows such operations doesn't mean the (beta) webOS can handle it.

Pre is a really good phone and I hope everyone who has one enjoys it.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    John, you seem to be obsessed with the Pre if you've jumped to the Iphone.

The way you bash on the Pre battery makes me think either you had a defected battery or you needed to recalibrate it.
    You seem to contradict yourself when you bash the Pre so much and then say that it is a really good phone.

Also... you've advertised the Iphone 3Gs in almost every post you've made here. Jeez. =/
    Actually you can. You can play your iPod (16 gb's too) AND do anything else. Can browse the web (in a superior browser) and keep multiple pages open simultaneously. Can also be on the phone AND surf the web on 3G, not just WiFi. Can it multitask as much as the Pre?? No. But with the sluggishness AND memory leaks AND horrible, horrible battery life.....just cause the processor allows such operations doesn't mean the (beta) webOS can handle it.

Pre is a really good phone and I hope everyone who has one enjoys it.
    Translation: you can multitask only what Apple says you can multitask; which is their native apps. Everyone else's apps need not apply.

That's always been my problem with Apple: you MUST do things their way. Personally, I prefer the freedom and choice of something like the Pre. Do I want to multitask? Go for it, even if it means having 10 cards open slows you down a bit (kind of like my Mac Mini with more than 3 programs running)! Do I not want to multitask? Close all apps but the one you're using! Either way, it's my choice!

Anyway, to the OP, depending on what you're looking for, either device slid very capable

Try to surf Safari on the iPhone while you listen to Shoutcast...I dare ya!
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Can browse the web (in a superior browser) and keep multiple pages open simultaneously. .
    You do realize that they are basically the same browser, right?

Wait, no, you obviously have no clue.

You seriously need to leave, or be banned.
  13.    #13  
    Well Apple has done some other app store things I don't approve of, as
    well as lock their phone down so that I can't do the very simple like:
    download an mp3 podcast from the 3g network to my phone
    put a file like the above, be it a mp3 of a pdf, from the phone to the
    computer
    Use a purchased device with software I choose aka Itunes gets annoying
    Not technically be allowed to use 3rp party unapproved softwares, even
    though the phone can and does if jailboken.

The fact that I still have to jailbreak to get, customization, file
    downloading, SSH, and dozens of other features that the iphone doesn't
    include in it's recent "3.0" software.

The fact that apple released 3.0 all at once instead of giving us the
    features as they were developed, meaning copy and paste worked as a
    jailbroken app a year and a half ago, why did apple have to wait to
    release it at the same time as 99 features. Why couldn't I have
    landscape keyboard when I've seen it work in landscape on a jailbroken
    phone.
    (because they held off to counter the pre release date maybe? who
    knows. )

By not allowing apps that serve their customers better, apple is not
    looking out for it's customers.
    Example, the competing features of google voice work through the apple
    web browser, therefore apple is not eliminating the features, simply
    making them inconvenient.

No built in GPS, turn by turn could be ATT monthly pay for $99 tom tom
    app.

No MMS, wtf? seriously don't get this one

Unlimited data is limited by not allowing tethering (almost every
    carrier tho)

No downloads from itunes over 16mb, but you can download a 32 mb
    podcast from safari, but you can't save it. So guess what apple and
    AT&T, if the file gets stopped, you lose connection, you have to
    download over again, so the podcast that I want that's on itunes, that
    I can't download because it's to big, I go to the show's site, and
    sometimes download the 32 mb file 3 times before I listen to the whole
    thing. Making me use 94mb of ATT bandwidth instead of the 32 from
    itunes and it's auto save features.

No video uploads or sharing via iphone 3g of att, when in reality, the
    iphone 3g can stream live to ustream right now.

Now that's just the big ones,
    I ask you then Jud, if you had a piece of hardware able to do
    everything mentioned above, and you crippled it, would you expect your
    customers to praise you when you finally give it to them. Sure, they
    have all the right in the world to do so, but I can no longer support
    such decisions with my pocketbook, especially because apple's
    unlimited callign is $99, their unlimited data is $30 and their
    unlimited text WITHOUT MMS is $20 per month.

$50 more per month than the same sprint plan with the palm.

My only regret is I feel there is still no device comparable to the
    elegance and ingenuity of the iphone in its time, and that the pre is
    2 years late and AT&T and apple will set a standard for backwards
    customer service. I'm rooting for Android in the future, because it's
    open, but do not want to ride google around much either.
  14.    #14  
    As a company that prides itself on innovation, I hold apple to a high standard of delivering something that is functional. In this situation they crippled their own hardware. My Mac Pro desktop is capable of running the competitors operating system, as is my Macbook pro.

The software I use for editing photos is not Apples, but runs great. I have complete control over my unix environment with a command line interface. All while the front end is simple, and efficient for all users, new or old.

That is what I wanted in a phone from apple, and was let down over and over.

If I was running apple, I would have assured that the same philosophy that won the hearts of computer users held true on the iphone. The protected environment, the "you like what we give you philosophy" isn't good business.

Why on earth am I allowed to buy software for my apple computer, but not companion software for my apple phone?
    In your opinion, as an apple share holder, put yourself in Jobs situation and answer me that question.

I am a valued apple customer am I not? Apple has always promoted themselves as a hardware company. I'm the first to admire the micropayment phenomenon that is the app store. The appeal of the developer to make a small fortune on an IFART app, sold on apples proprietary network. What I cannot support is this totalitarian system of picking and choosing what apps get on the list.

In one hand you can compare the exclusive iphone network of apps to Wal-MArt. If you get a product line in wal-mart, you're an instant millionare, and walmart gets thiers right? Right. It's capitalism, wal-mart can choose what to sell.

The difference is that walmart is not selling you an empty house and then telling you what you can put in it. If they sell you a house, sure you can fill it with wal-mart goods, but they aren't going to terminate you if you put sheets from target on your bed!

Now lets say wal-mart owned the market, and pretty much every house came from them, could they propose at date of purchase that you can only buy wal-mart productsm sign here? Sure but eventually someone will come along an a open house that you can put anything you want in, and walmart, will lose the house business.

While that free market look at apple as selling a "piece of property," is a realistic description and will happen in the near future as devices catch up. It doesn't settle the ethics of the original problem: Just because you can, and you know that you can close a system to make a nickel and dime, should you do it? Apple is selling a house and telling you what you can put in it. It's not free, so I am recommending to everyone I know, to quit drinking the kool aid, and realize that this product could be more and it's not. Profit margins on the phone are not affected by the app store policies. You mean to tell me people would buy LESS iphones if apple allowed the copy and paste app to go into the itunes store last July?

If there is an approval process it should be to assure no malicious code is used, but people should be able to build their own couch and sell it to anyone that owns a house to put it in. It's my hardware, I can run over it with my car, why can't I install John Q. Codeman's little Akron ohio streets GPS? Because Tom Tom has a deal? That begs the question, what if JQCodman GPS is better all around GPS than Tom Tom? Then by making these deals and app rejections in this closed system you are doing your customers a disservice, in the name of money.

So lastly, what apple should be doing is allowing their iphone to lead the industry by being a rock solid piece of hardware, look at what people are developing, allow them to give or sell it because their customers want it. If it is something apple can do better, than do it up, sell it as an upgrade, but don't STOP innovation.

As a shareholder that last fact would scare me. They were able to break into this market because they were open and not held back by the microsoft stigma of being cash hungry Micro$oft. This is lower than what microsoft has done in the past. Imagine if MS wouldn't let firefox run on windows, simply because it already had a browser.

It's bad business, and it's lost an iphone user until that changes. A very vocal former iphone user.
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    If we are talking about multitasking with any app, The Samsung impression can do that.

You can have 4 apps going at the same time, while also on the phone ::smile::
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishjays View Post
    My only regret is I feel there is still no device comparable to the
    elegance and ingenuity of the iphone in its time, and that the pre is
    2 years late and AT&T and apple will set a standard for backwards
    customer service. I'm rooting for Android in the future, because it's
    open, but do not want to ride google around much either.
    Are you sure about it ?
    Can you run a Navigation system ( I mean full version with voice , not that moving google map) and listen to music plus make phone call same time ?

The reason why I am asking is , most folks do this while driving.
    Post Pre , iPhone looks dated and the navigation needs a serious rework.

Added to that , how on earth you switch between open apps in iPhone ?

From APP1 , Press the center button , go to the page then tap the APP2 icon.

How do you come back to APP1 ? press the center button then go to the page and tap APP1 icon.

What in the hell is that center button thing ? a flight connectivity hub ?
    a la , take the first plane to hub then switch to another one ?

And you talk about elegance and ingenuity ?

Pre does fall in the build quality, other than that it will run circles around the iPhone.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    If we are talking about multitasking with any app, The Samsung impression can do that.

You can have 4 apps going at the same time, while also on the phone ::smile::
    wow,
    It can be done on any 100 year old WinMo,
    Its the elegance of the UI and ridiculously simply way to switch between apps on Pre is worth my $ 199.

I keep swiping on my friend's iPhone and that thing does nothing.

Then I realize that I have to press the center button. Then navigate to the app.