1.    #1  
    So I weasled my way into getting an exchange at the Sprint Store today on account of dead pixels on my Pre's screen. The woman at the store said Sprint would ship a new unit to my house and give me postage to send the old one back. I couldn't get an in-store exchange because she claimed they were on "backorder" and they "weren't a repair and service store".

Because she wouldn't outright give me a new Pre (and I wasn't going to press my luck), does it sound like I may be getting a bagged refurb instead of a new boxed unit?
    Sounds very likely. It may be handled through the warranty process. These are usually refurbs.
    When you get it, whatever the case, check for a recondition date or recondition status by dialing ##786#. I had the same issue on my first exchange (had to do 2 exchanges for a total of 3 phones, very happy with the 3rd) but when I got it, it came in a smaller 'refurb' package but was NOT refurbished...

EDIT: and if it is refurbished, I would bring it to their attention and kindly (or not so kindly :-) ) request/demand a NEW unit...in my opinion
    Last edited by cdawg62184; 07/30/2009 at 08:00 PM.
    I went to my Sprint store on Tuesday complaining of the oreo problem... and a small crack that developed near the USB charging port. The crack was slowly spreading to the front of the phone.

I just picked up my replacement. It's a new phone... NOT reconditioned... NO OREO... slider is A LOT smoother... I'm a happy camper.

I would ABSOLUTELY not accept a reconditioned phone... even if you purchased your Pre on day one... you should not have to settle for a used handset less than two months later.

Also, don't pay a dime for the replacement. I didn't.

If you're having oreo problems, demand an exchange. The new phone is awesome... solid...

WarrantyDateCode is 07/16/2009 RECONDSTATUS is no.

Don't let anyone in these forums tell you to put up with oreo or other issues because it's a 1.0 device. Exchange Exchange Exchange until Sprint and Palm get it right.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks guys, I won't put up with a refurb unit.

Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    Is this a definitive way to determine if your unit is refurbed?
    Just got mine exchanged today after dropping it on the asphalt yesterday resulting in a crack near the ringer switch. Noticed this morning that I wasn't getting notifications or emails because it wasn't downloading through EVDO. Rather than resetting the phone, I brought it to the store and told them that my EVDO was no longer working after updating to WebOs 1.1. To which they responded, let's try a reset and if it still doesn't work, we'll exchange it.

They of course reset the phone in store, and of course the EVDO started working again. So what I did was enter a website -- but eliminated one of the back-slashes in the email address so that it was http:/ not http://. The webpage wouldn't load, and the guy agreed to exchange my Pre for "spotty internet access"...score!

Now I'm happily enjoying my brand new, unblemished Pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianzedge View Post
    Just got mine exchanged today after dropping it on the asphalt yesterday resulting in a crack near the ringer switch. Noticed this morning that I wasn't getting notifications or emails because it wasn't downloading through EVDO. Rather than resetting the phone, I brought it to the store and told them that my EVDO was no longer working after updating to WebOs 1.1. To which they responded, let's try a reset and if it still doesn't work, we'll exchange it.

They of course reset the phone in store, and of course the EVDO started working again. So what I did was enter a website -- but eliminated one of the back-slashes in the email address so that it was http:/ not http://. The webpage wouldn't load, and the guy agreed to exchange my Pre for "spotty internet access"...score!

Let me get this straight: basically you are admitting that you are a bald-faced liar, in order to get a replacement phone? You're a real stand up guy.

So you drop your phone and break it - your fault. You lie to Sprint about what happened to your phone - your fault. Then you intentionally misuse it in the store - your fault. And you're happy? So why are you bragging about screwing over Sprint for you actions and refusal to take responsibility? Are you looking for sympathy? Or are you looking for pats on the back for sticking it to corporate America? I don't think you'll find either here. But I'm sure you'll get a lot of messages about your itegrity, and obvious lack of it.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    You're right. I'm sorry.
    You're right. I'm sorry.
    Somehow, I find you insincere...unfortunately for society, there are far too many cheats and liars amongst us. I was taught at an early age to simply tell the truth--it's easier than spinning lies, and someone who doesn't engage in bad behavior really doesn't NEED to lie, in the first place. You can either be a liar, or you can be an upstanding, dependable and decent member of society. Liars find it hard to set boundaries for their lies. They are the same folks who cheat on exams, cheat on their spouses, cheat on their taxes. Slackers.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    I don't know what the big deal is with people not wanting refurbs. Why wouldn't you want something that has already all its issues fixed? Chances are, you're going to have problems with your brand new Pre anyways. Refurbished phones are going to look perfect (otherwise you can exchange them) and will perform equal, if not better, than a brand new one.

If you're having oreo problems, demand an exchange. The new phone is awesome... solid...

Don't let anyone in these forums tell you to put up with oreo or other issues because it's a 1.0 device. Exchange Exchange Exchange until Sprint and Palm get it right.
    What is the amount of Oreo that in your opinion is acceptable? My phone twists sideways slightly (maybe a millimeter or two) and is easier to slide up than it was when I first got it. It's not as tight. If I try to wipe the screen, it slides up a little bit, so to hold it still, I have to use two hands. It really is not an issue and I probably wouldn't have noticed except that everyone else talks about it all the time. Is what I am experiencing what everyone is talking about, or are they talking about something worse?
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I went to my Sprint store on Tuesday complaining of the oreo problem... and a small crack that developed near the USB charging port. The crack was slowly spreading to the front of the phone.

I just picked up my replacement. It's a new phone... NOT reconditioned... NO OREO... slider is A LOT smoother... I'm a happy camper.

I would ABSOLUTELY not accept a reconditioned phone... even if you purchased your Pre on day one... you should not have to settle for a used handset less than two months later.

Also, don't pay a dime for the replacement. I didn't.

My WarrantyDateCode on a phone I bought yesterday is 07/01/2009 - any idea why? Could it be in the Sprint system for a phone I bought 7-1 and returned?
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    I don't know what the big deal is with people not wanting refurbs. Why wouldn't you want something that has already all its issues fixed? Chances are, you're going to have problems with your brand new Pre anyways. Refurbished phones are going to look perfect (otherwise you can exchange them) and will perform equal, if not better, than a brand new one.
    On many things, I would disagree with the meaning behind this. If I buy something new, I want it new. With the case of this particular phone (and mostly just how new it is), I would agree and think of it as having to still be new. If it is a refurb, it is merely a device that was caught by quality control (1st owner) and made whole (fixed a minor defect). If it was a slider issue, they fixed the slider to work correctly. I don't think dead pixels are something that can be fixed.

Dave
  15.    #15  
    Just got my new Pre in the mail today, impressive shipping on Sprint's part. However, it is a refurb, it came in a box that said "Here's your refurbished phone", so there's pretty much no debat in that sense. My warrantycode is 5/26, same date as the release Pres, with a refurb date of 7/22.

This is obviously the most troubling warrantycode date I could possibly get, just my luck. But the phone feels pretty solid, I question how long this might last, especially for two full years, based on some of the launch Pre stories I've heard here. My first Pre had a warrantycode of 6/10 so I'm actually taking a step backwards.

Do I have any grounds for a Sprint Store exchange anyways?
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jesusismetal View Post
    Just got my new Pre in the mail today, impressive shipping on Sprint's part. However, it is a refurb, it came in a box that said "Here's your refurbished phone", so there's pretty much no debat in that sense. My warrantycode is 5/26, same date as the release Pres, with a refurb date of 7/22.

This is obviously the most troubling warrantycode date I could possibly get, just my luck. But the phone feels pretty solid, I question how long this might last, especially for two full years, based on some of the launch Pre stories I've heard here. My first Pre had a warrantycode of 6/10 so I'm actually taking a step backwards.

Do I have any grounds for a Sprint Store exchange anyways?
    If you find the right store you should have no problems with an exchange. Make up some mail server authentication issues. I returned my first phone because I didnt feel like waiting for the rebate and BB does instant rebates. I told them about my mail server issues and bleeding and they gave me the full refund no problem. This was on day 25 of the first 30 days though. Most people at sprint are not tech savvy and if you find someone friendly who doesn't know the technical details involved you should have no problem. Someone friendly in general should help you with no problems. If you hit someone that won't help you out, go to another store.
    My Sprint store was kind enough to do a TEP for me after my Pre developed the crack by the USB door that several others are experiencing. Unfortunately, I went to pick up my "reconditioned" Pre on Friday afternoon and the space bar didn't work They've ordered me another one which I hope will be in tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's a good one.
    How many dead pixels did you have?