Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    battery has still been bad, today I took my phone off the charger at 10am. By 4pm it was completly dead. 6 hours!!! wow!! awesome!! and I did not even use the thing that much. wtf...
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I notice slightly worse battery performance with 1.1.0

I have poor reception at the office (RSSI signal is usually about '-108'), so expectedly I experiece drain. With WebOS:

1.0.4 - my battery fully charged before going to work, down to 90-92% by 5pm with little or no use.

1.1.0 - my battery fully charged before going to work, down to 82-85% by 5pm with little or no use.
    I also have experienced increased battery drain, mostly in conjunction with post #2.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwdesign View Post

I have poor reception at the office (RSSI signal is usually about '-108'), so expectedly I experiece drain. With WebOS:

1.0.4 - my battery fully charged before going to work, down to 90-92% by 5pm with little or no use.

1.1.0 - my battery fully charged before going to work, down to 82-85% by 5pm with little or no use.
    How or where were you able to measure RSSI?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrunkie View Post
    battery has still been bad, today I took my phone off the charger at 10am. By 4pm it was completly dead. 6 hours!!! wow!! awesome!! and I did not even use the thing that much. wtf...
    Is this typical day by day experience? What is your usage during that time frame? Would you be willing to answer the set of questions I asked others earlier in the thread? And would you be willing to let the battery drain from 100% to auto power off 2 or 3 times following the criteria in the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by dwdesign View Post

Assuming from the time the pre is off the charger to 5pm is at least 8 hours and assuming that time frame is also indicative of the overall drain rate you are getting the best case scenario drain rate. I have not found a better drain rate than that.

Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    I also have experienced increased battery drain, mostly in conjunction with post #2.
    What is your usage like? Would you be willing answer the set of questions I asked others earlier in the thread? And would you be willing to let the battery drain from 100% to auto power off 2 or 3 times following the criteria in the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    dial ##DEBUG# in the phone app to bring up the debug view.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Yep...

I just took a 8-10 hour trip yesterday... and my phone died with minimal usage throughout the day.
    It died around the 8th-9th hour.
    It just kept dropping and dropping throughout the day and I was always scared to use it.

My sister's Iphone lasted all day and still had quite some juice (didn't know how much exactly). =/

I was wondering like... it wasn't this bad before?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    On the phone dialer screen, type: ##DEBUG#

After a moment, all of the debug data will be viewable and you can scroll down to the RSSI number. The lower the number, the better your signal.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Assuming from the time the pre is off the charger to 5pm is at least 8 hours and assuming that time frame is also indicative of the overall drain rate you are getting the best case scenario drain rate. I have not found a better drain rate than that.
    I guess I am lucky then. When new, before the battery had been used/charged for a couple weeks (and before 1.0.4), my battery typically went down to 65% under the same scenario.
    The "recalibration" seems to have worked!

I took my phone off the charger at 9:30am this morning. It is now 1:20pm and I have 90% battery life. I only made a few texts today, so the usage was minimal, but this is still a massive improvement from what I was previously experiencing after the 1.1 update. All I had to do was fully drain and then fully charge the battery 3 full times over the course of a few days and everything seems fine now once again. If this turns out to be a fluke, I'll make another post here and let you guys know.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    mine took a major 180 as well and i only drained it once (last night) fully charged it on touchstone over night. took it off at 6:30 am, its now 2:30pm and my battery is "reporting" 94%. only thing its done is about 6 text messages in that time. I'm starting to think thats a false report of battery life right now but i'll see what happens as the night progresses. im expecting it to take a sudden drop at any moment now.
    EDIT:
    another update just because im astounded: its now 8pm 13.5 hours off the charger and im at 78%. im still finding this hard to believe. lol

EDIT:
    25.5 hours later and im at 62%. this is a bit of web surfing and a dozen or so text messages. so very mild use. but this is still way better then before i drained it. previous it would of been dead by 10 to 12 hours.

EDIT:
    ok phone finally died around 8:30 pm. so i got about 38 hours. it probably could of gone a little longer if i kept it in standby but i tried to kill it so i ran a video and did some surfing and played some games starting around the last 12%. Either way, this made a very nice difference for me. hopefully it stays like this, I'll probably drain it fully one more time to make sure i peaked it. One strange thing i noticed is my screen shutdown keeps reverting to 3 minutes, i have to keep changing it to 30 seconds.
    Last edited by erider81; 08/05/2009 at 07:22 AM.
    I just got my Pre Saturday, and I love everything about it, except the power drain. yesterday, we went to a friends place after it had been charging on the Touchstone all night(I guess it has to stay on for this to work?), and we took 2 pictures, called my mom for 2 minutes to leave a message, and it was down to 12%. I had to shut the phone down. This is a bit crazy!
  12.    #32  
    adrenalinestyle glad to hear that worked. I let mine go from 100% to auto power off three days in a row now. I now see 5% average drain at work and 3% average drain at home so it has improved some now. Is it possible that the battery for the pre is somehow different than the typical ones and have to be cycled like this more times and frequently to keep the life between charges consistently good? Anyone else been following my recommendations of to test their drain rate and discovered that by draining to auto power off it has improved your situation? Not Since launch now mine has been drained from 100% to power off a total of 8 times. Except for the 3 days in a row this time the other times it was 2 in a row after having it for a couple weeks or so. Then just once here and there because I had no way to charge.
    good obs
    As I have said all over this forum, I have had EXCELLENT battery life out of both of my Pre's until 1.1 came out. Battery life was ATTROCIOUS. With normal use that would leave my phone around 85% from 7:00 am till 6:00pm, I am now at about 70% by 12:00pm. With heavier than normal use I am around 55-60% by 12:00pm.

I think I found the solution though. I deleted ALL the homebrew apps, and some Palm apps, to try and fix the battery life, than did a full erase. Still had bad battery. A tad better (I think one was constantly on the internet or GPS) but basically the same. Then I got to thinking. What did Palm change in 1.1 that might have screwed up and made an impact? Facebook. I know, I know. I have had Facebook synced to my Pre since day 1, never had a problem, but I remembered palm saying they had Facebook sync working "properly" now, and updating more frequently. Hmm. Maybe they screwed up and Facebook sync is constantly looking?

I deleted facebook from contacts, calender, and I think somewhere else. Basically everywhere Facebook links too. Battery life has sprung back up, and APPEARS to be where it was Pre 1.1. I am going to test it again at work tomorrow to double check, but I think facebook was the problem, at least for me. I'll let you all know for sure tomorrow after work.
  15.    #35  
    So now that there are a couple hypothesis that can be tested or observations that can be gathered to support or refute them I'd like to have tests done or observations shared. Hypothesis #1 is in my post (post #32). Hypothesis #2 after performing a webOS update the battery meter needs to be recalibrated. And perhaps it takes more than 2 cycles from 100% to auto power off to fully recalibrate/calibrate the battery meter.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I actually noticed an increase. But that's when I was in Pennsylvania with little Sprint coverage (thus mostly roaming). I was able to lose approximately 1 to 3% per hour on standby with conservative settings. With weaker signals, the battery drains faster.

Edit: I recalibrated it again since 1.1 and that is what helped.
    Last edited by yiffzer; 08/04/2009 at 12:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by walhalla View Post
    Since the update to 1.1 I have seen a increase in battery drain. I take it off the TS around 7am. It is now 9:45pm est and the battery is at 31%. Previously, it would be in the high 50's or maybe low 60's. My pre is not rooted, nothing different has been done to it. I am not using it any more or less than before 1.1. Something is definately causing it to drain the battery.
    Have you installed any Homebrew apps

if so what are the Apps

lets pin point this in the following Format.

• Battery since 1.1 update -Better or worse
    • Homebrew apps _ yes or No?
    • Which Homebrew Apps
    • Have you modified Pre ( rooted)- Yes or No
    • Wifi settings?
    • Blue tooth settings?
    • network settings ( sprint only or automatic)
    • email settings ( when items arrive, manual or interval)
    • Pandora or streaming media? How often how long?

Hopefully we can look at some similar situations and circumstances/ Environment that contribute to battery performance. Every user is different and so are our network signals and connections.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    * Battery since 1.1 update - Better
    * Homebrew apps _ Yes
    * Which Homebrew Apps - My Tether
    * Have you modified Pre ( rooted)- Yes
    * Wifi settings? - Off
    * Blue tooth settings? - Off
    * network settings? - Automatic (Hybrid Rev A)
    * average signal? - EVDO - 2 bars
    * email settings? - When items arrive.
    * Pandora or streaming media? Never.
  19.    #39  
    Addie_Goodvibes these are some good factors in addition to stuff I have been asking for. So here is my details for those factors:

Battery since 1.1 update: Was worse but now very slightly better see my post history in the thread for details
    Homebrew apps _ yes or No? None
    Have you modified Pre ( rooted)- Yes or No Yes for add more launcher pages and reveal dev mode icon. I am researching the code to work on customization stuff.
    Wifi settings? On when available off when not. About half the day wifi is available.
    Blue tooth settings? Almost always off. Only on when in the car or out on the town.
    network settings automatic
    email settings get email: as items arrive, show email: all. At most I get about a dozen emails in a single day.
    Pandora or streaming media? How often how long? Yes maybe 2-3 times a week for as much as 3 hours. Projected estimated duration for 100% to auto power off 7 hours. This matches the test that prethinking did on the stock battery for the comparison with the amzer 1400.

Thanks all for your continued contributions to the thread I think we are on a good track.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    My pre would drain battery completely in 6-8 hrs with little to no usage! I took it to the sprint store and they checked my battery for me. Turns out the battery was messed up where it was losing power on its own and I'm getting a new battery. The loaner one he gave me lasted 12 hrs little usage so maybe its a defective battery and they have to order you a new 'palm' battery.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast