Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 171
  1.    #1  
    First, let me preface this thread by saying that this is in no way intended to be a Pre bashing thread.

    Like many people on the forums, I had been eagerly anticipating the release of the Pre ever since they showed it off at CES. Hell, from that point on I was lurking on the forums looking for any new news that might surface. I had been using Blackberries for the past 4 years, and although I never had any problems, I was wanting somehting different and "fresh" and the iPhone never appealed to me because of the lack of physical keyboard (and because it'sApple). I waited until about a month and a half after the launch to by my (and my GF's) Pre. The next day we both had to go in for exchanges for different problems.

    Tomorrow, I will be exchanging the Pre for the BB Tour, but ultimately I am sad to do so. There is a lot I love about the Pre, and I know that there is a ton of potential for webOS, and from a software point of view, the Pre does everything it promises to do and more, but what I just can't get over is the hardware.

    My beef is not with the Pre itself, but with Palm and their poor execution of what could be an excellent device. I can deal with all the silly software-related hickups because I know more often than not a simple OS update can fix them. The inconsistencies in the manufacturing quality of the device itself is simply horrendous.

    There is an obvious reason why we keep seeing the same complaints over and over again on these forums. I've had my hands on 4 Pre's now, and they've all had different issues.

    Here is the nail in the coffin, however; Even if we ignore the faulty sliders, "oreo effect", batteries that are loose and cause the phone to shut off, and the light bleeding and discoloration on the screen, etc., the one thing that renders this device virtually unusable in a real world setting is the battery life. There is NO WAY you can casually use this device in the manner intended for an entire day on a single charge. We shouldn't have to make concessions on our devices and buy all kinds of extra chargers just so we can make it through the day with this thing.

    To make a long story short, I would love to be able to keep my Pre, but it is just not practical. I don't know how many times I will have to replace it to get one without any manufacturing defects, and even if I got one, I wouldn't be able to use it like I've used any previous phone, and certainly not in the way Palm intended.

    We need to stop making excuses for the Pre's shortcomings and hold Palm to a higher standard so they have some incentive to increase quality. It's interesting because I read through 35 pages on crackberry last night about problems people have been having with the Tour and the thread carried a completely different atmosphere than I've seen on this forum. Blackberry owners have become used to a high standard, so when RIM puts out a device with problems, you don't hear a bunch of BB fanboys on there trying to come up with excuses and telling people they need to stop complaining.

    Either way, I'm sad to see the Pre go, but I'm just going to have to wait until Palm gets their act together. Maybe the Pre v2 will be worth the money, but this one is not.
  2. #2  
    In a real world setting, i got 3 touchstones..home, car, work. Maybe you should keep aiming to live in a fantasy world where a heavily used smartphone lasts all day that is constantly connected/syncing to the cloud.

    The iphone's battery life isn't any better. Get a BB. It'll last you all day perhaps, but i hope you like email..its about the only thing it does well.
  3. #3  
    Battery life on my pre is great. I use my phone all day long, come home and use it more, and put it on the charger when I go to bed. Sounds like you weren't patient enough to let the battery break in. My battery life was terrible initially as well, it took a month or so to get as strong as it is now. I also don't have any quality issues with my phone, and I don't just consider myself lucky. Maybe you need to hold palm to a higher standard, but I don't, my experience has been epic thus far. If you like the web browsing on the pre, you're going to hate the tour, its not an upgrade from the pre, its a downgrade.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    In a real world setting, i got 3 touchstones..home, car, work. Maybe you should keep aiming to live in a fantasy world where a heavily used smartphone lasts all day that is constantly connected/syncing to the cloud.

    The iphone's battery life isn't any better. Get a BB. It'll last you all day perhaps, but i hope you like email..its about the only thing it does well.
    The good thing is, if he goes to the tour, his battery life will be great, because he won't want to use his phone anymore. I use my pre 10x more than my old blackberry.
  5. #5  
    BB fanboys are almost as bad as the iPhone ones. If you want proof just go to the storm forums. That awful piece of trash has a legion of defenders who fail to acknowledge the poor firmware and the lackluster hardware it has. Every product has its defenders. While I agree that you shouldn't blindly follow anything bb guys aren't a good example of this concept.
    Last edited by mullrat; 07/30/2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Skipped a word
  6.    #6  
    You can't compare the BB and Pre, they are 2 different types of phones, and each have their strengths that suit different types of users.

    As stated above, I was a BB user for 4 years and had four different Blackberries and they were all great. Never had to return one, and I could easily get a full day of use with heavy use.

    A simple fix on Palms end would have been to use a higher capacity battery for the Pre.

    Oh, and BTW, it;s no secret that the iPhone has better battery life, but don't take that as me picking sides, because I would choose the Pre any day over the iPhone, even with crappy battery life.
  7. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #7  
    If you think battery life is bad, make sure you recalibrate your battery by running it down all the way and charging it back up to 100%.

    Otherwise, you can go down to 0% and stay there for about 10-20 minutes before it actually turns off.

    And why are there BB bashers here? The BB, imo, still can do more than a Pre can.
    My sister's old Curve 8330 can voice dial and record videos/memos...
    I'm just waiting for WebOS to get past its immature ages.
    Also, the BB does have a stunning battery.
    Many BB users are rightfully proud. It suits their needs.
    Last edited by Kedar; 07/30/2009 at 05:39 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mullrat View Post
    BB fanboys are almost as bad as the iPhone ones. If you want proof just go to the storm forums. That awful piece of trash has a legion of defenders who fail to acknowledge the poor firmware and the lackluster hardware it has. Every product has its defenders. While I agree that you shouldn't blindly follow anything bb guys aren't a good example of this.
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've noticed something different. On the BB forum I've been a member of since 2005, I've seen nothing but complaints about the Storm.

    IMO, BB needs to stick to what they know and stay out of the touch screen market.
  9. jsabo's Avatar
    Posts
    427 Posts
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    #9  
    Pulled the phone off the charger at 8:30AM yesterday.

    Spent the day with heavy game playing, heavy email to two different accounts, occasional texting and a couple phone calls.

    I put the phone back on the charger at 1AM, and the battery was at 9%.

    Maybe I've got better coverage than you do, so my phone's not struggling all day to find and keep a radio signal. Maybe I've changed a couple settings that you didn't (like don't turn the screen on to tell me I got an email). Maybe I only make 10 minutes of calls a day and you make 90.

    But the fact is that I haven't had to make any concessions to get through a normal day with the Pre. In fact, my "normal" usage has actually increased from my Treo 700P.
  10. #10  
    Interesting post, but you keep saying "we". I don't have any of the issues you're speaking of. If you are talking about you and your gf, that's fine. Shoot, even if you're talking about you and the vocal minority that's OK. But please, don't make the arrogant assumption that you speak for all of us, or that your experience represents everyone, or even the majoryt. Just ain't so.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    You can't compare the BB and Pre, they are 2 different types of phones, and each have their strengths that suit different types of users.

    As stated above, I was a BB user for 4 years and had four different Blackberries and they were all great. Never had to return one, and I could easily get a full day of use with heavy use.
    ...
    I'm curious, why did you trade four different "great" BB's, one a year? There wasn't that much change in one model to the next...
  12. Jordus's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    #12  
    Theres no question, the blackberry hardware is basically indestructible.

    I have a 3 year old model at work and i try to break it but it just wont bust.

    I know if i drop the pre once, maybe twice, its done for.

    Conversly, the BB OS is buggier than an ant hill.
  13. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    Blackberry owners have become used to a high standard, so when RIM puts out a device with problems, you don't hear a bunch of BB fanboys on there trying to come up with excuses and telling people they need to stop complaining.
    Yeah, you see that type of response a lot here with whiners who post a new complaint thread every day.
  14. Clack's Avatar
    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    #14  
    Yeah, Palm forgets that it has to compete with the Mature iPhone hardware as well as the OS. And Andriod/HTC/Tmobile hardware is light years ahead of Palm... even the G1 with its slider, hardware wise.

    I had one store manager who said, to my complaints about the build quality, "The Pre Isn't for everyone" and I retorted "You mean for those who don't demand quality?"

    He got a little annoyed. And I will leave the story at that.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Interesting post, but you keep saying "we". I don't have any of the issues you're speaking of. If you are talking about you and your gf, that's fine. Shoot, even if you're talking about you and the vocal minority that's OK. But please, don't make the arrogant assumption that you speak for all of us, or that your experience represents everyone, or even the majoryt. Just ain't so.
    As my dad used to say to me, "What's this 'we' stuff, you got a mouse in your pocket?"
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm curious, why did you trade four different "great" BB's, one a year? There wasn't that much change in one model to the next...
    had the 7100, got the Pearl when it first launched, then upgraded to the Curve when it launched, then upgraded to the 8900 when it launched. I only had the 8900 for 3 months before getting the Pre.

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Interesting post, but you keep saying "we". I don't have any of the issues you're speaking of. If you are talking about you and your gf, that's fine. Shoot, even if you're talking about you and the vocal minority that's OK. But please, don't make the arrogant assumption that you speak for all of us, or that your experience represents everyone, or even the majoryt. Just ain't so.
    I'm talking about all the people that aren't afraid to admit that the battery life on the Pre sucks. Even people that have given the phone good reviews have complained about the battery life.

    I don't understand why people are so uptight about this. People need to stop taking this so personally. Just because the battery life sucks doesn't mean Pre owners need to be personally offended when someone says something about it. I love the Pre. I've said it before. I just think Palm messed up big time on this.

    To me, it's the equivalent of Lexus putting out a new full size luxury sedan with all kinds of awesome features and advertising how awesome it is to drive around with 400hp and use all the new technology, but then only put a 5 gallon gas tank in the car.
  17. #17  
    who really cares if this guy goes over to blackberry? look at all his past posts he does nothing but whine and nitpick some people will never be happy, let him go to blackberry lets see how long it takes jim kramer to start bashing the blackberry tour. it's people like this who do nothing but complain who feed guys like jim kramer and eventually we will all lose our pre's because nobody is going to buy stock in Palm.
  18. #18  
    battery life is your main complaint?....just get another battery...when one dies pop in the fresh one and keep it pushing!....you had a 4 blackberries right?....im sure you know that trick!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    who really cares if this guy goes over to blackberry? look at all his past posts he does nothing but whine and nitpick some people will never be happy, let him go to blackberry lets see how long it takes jim kramer to start bashing the blackberry tour. it's people like this who do nothing but complain who feed guys like jim kramer and eventually we will all lose our pre's because nobody is going to buy stock in Palm.
    I'm not going "over" to blackberry, I'm going "back" to blackberry.

    Also, if you'll notice, all my complaints have been consistent. I'm not just "whining" all over the place. I've always maintained the stance that the Palm Pre is a great device that was poorly executed. It has nothing to do with whether BB is better than Palm, and I certainly don't give a crap about Jim Kramer or Palm stock.

    I think that if a company puts out a crappy product, they should be held accountable. Wouldn't everyone like to see the next version of the Pre have better hardware?

    The thing I'll like most about getting rid of the Pre is not having to listen to a bunch of a-holes, who, rather than providing mature constructive feedback, just start making personal attacks against the poster.
  20. wp746911's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    #20  
    my battery life is great- actually much better than my htc mogul. I live/work in an area that has a great sprint signal- I use my pre a lot all day long and its fine. I think for what it is, the pre has fine battery life. If you need to text/email ALL day long, then sure the battery probably dies fast. BB are designed for long life emailing and texting- that's what they do. They aren't very good at multimedia. Each phone has its plus. Return your pre, who cares, just don't post generalities saying that EVERY PRE or ALL USERS this or that. The pre didn't work well FOR YOU, no denying that. The pre works better than I could have imagined FOR ME.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions