Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 171
  1. #121  
    Agree!
  2. #122  
    Disagreement--even vehement disagreement--does not constitute "flaming."

    Joe Parsons
  3.    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmparsons View Post
    See, it's back to that pesky "constructive notice" thing; the information has been available to you for close to two months, yet you complain as though you were somehow hornswoggled into buying a bum device. You say you waited a month and a half after the release before your purchase, presumably ten days ago. There were myriad posts on multiple message boards--not reviews, which are often suspect--complaining about battery life, among other things. And in six weeks of "research" you never saw any of these? Perhaps your due diligence needs tuning up?

    I think a big part of the problem many have with phones of Pre's ilk is their expectations. My Motorola Razr served me quite well for over four years. I charged it a couple of times a week. Why doesn't this stupid Pre give me that kind of battery life? When I bought the Instinct, then the Pre, I did so knowing I was going to have to trade something for the additional capability, just as I did when I bought a laptop to replace my desktop. For me, a car charger and spare battery may just be in my future. I find it an acceptable tradeoff.

    Everyone has an absolute right to mitch and boan to whatever extent, and at whatever length they choose; but in this context, to adopt the pose of Wounded Consumer is just disingenuous.

    Personally, I wouldn't quite say "GoAT," because this thread has been somewhat entertaining, but, assuming you really are sincere about what you've written, I really do think you'd benefit from examining your own decision-making process.

    Joe Parsons
    Again, you are completely twisting this thing. You make is sound like I've been complaining that I was "duped" into buying the Pre, and "adopt the pose of wounded consumer"... Seriously??? I'm just disappointed, THAT'S IT. Have you never had your hopes up for something and it just didn't pan out?

    Again, this goes back to what I've been saying. Certain people on here have some sort of mental defect that causes them to translate constructive criticism as a personal offense. I think that's why certain people get their panties in a bunch every time someone says something less than nice about the Pre, because they take it personally. Does the Pre fill some sort of void in your soul?

    On a side note, I tried what one of the members on here suggested, switching the network to "Sprint Only" and it seems to have improved battery life. Maybe there is indeed a glitch that causes the phone to constantly check for signals that eats away at the battery.
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    Again, you are completely twisting this thing. You make is sound like I've been complaining that I was "duped" into buying the Pre, and "adopt the pose of wounded consumer"... Seriously??? I'm just disappointed, THAT'S IT. Have you never had your hopes up for something and it just didn't pan out?
    Now I'm really confused. So, you knew of all of these shortcomings beforehand, and then you bought it anyway. And now you want to take it back (or not, I thought it was a done deal, because you said "Tomorrow, I will be exchanging the Pre for the BB Tour, but ultimately I am sad to do so.", and then later said you were "still on the fence", your different versions become a bit hard to follow). Anyway, you knew of these things, and now want to take it back, and want us to join you in challenging Palm because it doesn't meet your standards?

    I suggest that instead, a better option would have been to let Palm know it wasn't good enough before you bought it, by not buying it, them, whatever.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    Again, this goes back to what I've been saying. Certain people on here have some sort of mental defect that causes them to translate constructive criticism as a personal offense. I think that's why certain people get their panties in a bunch every time someone says something less than nice about the Pre, because they take it personally. Does the Pre fill some sort of void in your soul?
    And there you go with your personal attacks again. You know, if a lot of people are having problems following what you're saying, maybe the defect isn't spread around to a lot of different people, maybe it's concentrated on one person in particular...

    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    On a side note, I tried what one of the members on here suggested, switching the network to "Sprint Only" and it seems to have improved battery life. Maybe there is indeed a glitch that causes the phone to constantly check for signals that eats away at the battery.
    Really, what difference does it make? You stated you were taking it back "tomorrow" (which is today, Friday 7/31). Hasn't it become a moot point?
  5.    #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Really, what difference does it make? You stated you were taking it back "tomorrow" (which is today, Friday 7/31). Hasn't it become a moot point?
    I'm exchanging it today for another Pre that hopefully won't have the screen discoloration like my current one.

    I've taken a lot of members' suggestions into consideration and have decided to give it some more time. Although I may not be happy with the battery life, maybe I just need some time to "adjust" to it.

    I'm not wanting to "challenge" Palm, rather, I'm trying to "encourage" them. It's like saying, "Palm, I really like the Pre, thanks for a great device, but give us some better battery life next time so I can use this thing all day without charging it everywhere I go."

    Hopefully we can start to see the point of my OP. Sorry for any confusion, but seriously, people need to stop taking this stuff so personal.
  6. #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    ...
    I've taken a lot of members' suggestions into consideration and have decided to give it some more time. Although I may not be happy with the battery life, maybe I just need some time to "adjust" to it.
    ...
    SuWeet. You started a thread to convince everyone else, and instead got convinced. Life is grand sometimes.

    Seriously, Things to consider:
    1. Lighten up on the generalizations about others
    2. Lighten up on the name-calling
    3. Speak for a one (OK, maybe 2 since you have the GF with a Pre thing going on)
  7. #127  
    when you exchange your pre try to keep the old battery so you will have a spare!....I tell you it feels good to run one battery to the ground and then pop in a fresh one and keep pushing this thing hard!!
  8. #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    SuWeet. You started a thread to convince everyone else, and instead got convinced. Life is grand sometimes.

    Seriously, Things to consider:
    1. Lighten up on the generalizations about others
    2. Lighten up on the name-calling
    3. Speak for a one (OK, maybe 2 since you have the GF with a Pre thing going on)
    I'm glad you have faith, cause I'm already looking forward to the other thread about him exchanging yet another Pre. I think he's going for gold in the 'let's-see-how-many-times-I-can-exchange-my-pre' olympics.
  9. #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    I'm not wanting to "challenge" Palm, rather, I'm trying to "encourage" them. It's like saying, "Palm, I really like the Pre, thanks for a great device, but give us some better battery life next time so I can use this thing all day without charging it everywhere I go."
    Well, that's all good, nothing wrong with that - but you need to be reasonable about it.

    The same guys that have been complaining that Palm needed to hurry up and produce the device since January are now complaining that it's not ready for Prime Time and they should've waited to release.

    People ask for stuff like a better battery or a glass screen without even considering the consequences of those requests. Don't you think there was a bunch of thought and discussion put into that battery before they put it in there? While you just pontificate on a web forum, Palm has to deal with investors, manufacturers, developers, phone carriers, suppliers, deadlines, finances and all of that crap, while all the blowhards on here play Monday morning quarterback. It's no different than what any other device manufacturer goes through and all the whining in the world isn't going to change the physics.

    Maybe before you open your mouth to incite a riot because your world is turned upside-down over some quality that is lacking in a freakin' cell phone, y'all could try a little critical thought. And maybe take advantage of ways to mitigate whatever issue it is your having.
  10. #130  
    Here's my riddle:

    What about all of us who enjoy the device? Should we write a letter to Palm saying "Keep up the good work" so that they know the prevalence of satisfied to unsatisfied customers?

    Also I honestly have to show some skepticism to people who say they return the phone several times, I mean I may have seen some twisting here and there, but I've never heard of any of the problems mentioned by SkinFlaps (Poor battery life is not a fault, it's a design flaw. A choice Palm made to give the phone it's slim form. I mean they could have made it fat so it would have enough juice to keep constantly active all day). But I mean screen discolorations? Battery popping out? I'd ask for pictures of this but there's no way for me to verify it one way or the other, I'd have to see it live.

    Where are you getting these phones, SkinFlap? Perhaps you need to get one from my neighborhood because we seem to have got all the good ones.
  11. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sCartoon View Post
    Here's my riddle:

    What about all of us who enjoy the device? Should we write a letter to Palm saying "Keep up the good work" so that they know the prevalence of satisfied to unsatisfied customers?
    I'm a firm believer that gratitude will get your further than gripes.
  12. KJ78's Avatar
    Posts
    838 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #132  
    I wouldn't go as far as skinflaps, but I do think Palm (and most other manufacturers) put too much emphasis on meeting a size/weight target and not enough on battery life.
  13. #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I'm a firm believer that gratitude will get your further than gripes.
    Ive never seen that gratitude thing work when something needed fixin' - it's too much like, "Thank you sir, may I have another?" However, it's proven that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
  14. #134  
    You should really wait at least 6 months to make sure software problems are fixed, a month and a half is just not long enough. I understand that you think the battery life should be better, but people would have b1tched if the phone would have been fatter. This phone uses a lot of power depending on what you do with it and for that I will have no problems buying a second battery when I get my Pre.
  15. #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    You can't compare the power requirements of the Pre to what you had in the 90s. All those nifty features we enjoy today require more power.

    If you choose not to get a better battery, the only other logical solution
    (in your case) is to charge it more often or get rid of it. Complaining isn't going to help. What Palm 'shoulda' done doesn't matter after the fact does it? Before I bought the phone I read about the battery and knew I could run into issues so I invested in the car charger.
    but also battery technology has grown since then,i was just making a point btw.i always buy a car charger.i really dont understand why everyone is so up in arms,read his title of this thread.there are countless threads and returns do to its build quality.battery aside,my reception is terrible,absolutely terrible.there is no excuse for that or for all the other problems.humans are funny people.everyone is ready to fight because a guy thinks that a multimillion dollar corporation should not be held accountable for a poorly built product,noone even gets this worked up over the current healthcare fiasco going on,wow,what a shame on all of us
  16.    #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sCartoon View Post
    Here's my riddle:

    What about all of us who enjoy the device? Should we write a letter to Palm saying "Keep up the good work" so that they know the prevalence of satisfied to unsatisfied customers?

    Also I honestly have to show some skepticism to people who say they return the phone several times, I mean I may have seen some twisting here and there, but I've never heard of any of the problems mentioned by SkinFlaps (Poor battery life is not a fault, it's a design flaw. A choice Palm made to give the phone it's slim form. I mean they could have made it fat so it would have enough juice to keep constantly active all day). But I mean screen discolorations? Battery popping out? I'd ask for pictures of this but there's no way for me to verify it one way or the other, I'd have to see it live.

    Where are you getting these phones, SkinFlap? Perhaps you need to get one from my neighborhood because we seem to have got all the good ones.
    As it turns out, you're right, the problems I've had with our Pre's had nothing to do with the device. We thought my GF's speaker was broken on her first one but as it turns out, whenever sound was supposed to come out, it would trigger a faulty synapses in our brains and temporarily render us deaf. As for the crooked top piece on my first Pre, it was just my eyes, but I didn't need to see a doctor because as it turns out, just simply exchanging the Pre fixed my eyes because my current one is perfect in that department.
  17.    #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    You can't compare the power requirements of the Pre to what you had in the 90s. All those nifty features we enjoy today require more power.

    If you choose not to get a better battery, the only other logical solution
    (in your case) is to charge it more often or get rid of it. Complaining isn't going to help. What Palm 'shoulda' done doesn't matter after the fact does it? Before I bought the phone I read about the battery and knew I could run into issues so I invested in the car charger.
    You hit the nail on the head here. The newer phones DO require more power, which is why it logically makes sense to give them more power.

    Again, to use my car analogy, it's like comparing fuel tanks. My Dad's big diesel truck has like a 40 gallon fuel tank. My 4-banger has a 14 gallon. Makes sense. Wouldn't you consider it inconvenient if you had to stop to refuel your car every 100 miles because the manufacturer decided not to put a big enough fuel tank in it?

    I understand the point of view that if you want the phone than you just have to deal with it, and if battery life was such a concern then I shouldn't have bought it in the first place, but that's just admitting defeat.

    Palm is trying to market this device to everyone, not just the people that are willing to change their habits to accommodate poor battery life. This leads me back to my original point. If Palm wants to increase consumer satisfaction, they need to fix these few little issues.

    I think Palm would be pissed if the sales people in the stores were like the people on this forum... "Now ma'am, before you buy this awesome Pre, I need to make sure you understand that the battery life is not that great, so you might want to get 3 extra chargers and make sure you can charge it periodically throughout the day, otherwise, let me show you this cool Samsung phone over here."
  18. Clack's Avatar
    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    I think Palm would be pissed if the sales people in the stores were like the people on this forum... "Now ma'am, before you buy this awesome Pre, I need to make sure you understand that the battery life is not that great, so you might want to get 3 extra chargers and make sure you can charge it periodically throughout the day, otherwise, let me show you this cool Samsung phone over here."
    Sadly, they like the manager I encountered at a sprint store in Seattle: On pointing out the poor manufactuing tolerance that caused the ore effect I don't believe this phone will last. His response was: it causes no end user problem (even though it is a larger port of entry for moisture, grit and grime over the life time of the phone phone which is suppose to be 2 years) and that the phone was therefore not for everyone.

    I expect quality for my money not excuses. To many people don't understand the difference.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
  19. #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    but also battery technology has grown since then,i was just making a point btw.i always buy a car charger.i really dont understand why everyone is so up in arms,read his title of this thread.there are countless threads and returns do to its build quality.battery aside,my reception is terrible,absolutely terrible.there is no excuse for that or for all the other problems.humans are funny people.everyone is ready to fight because a guy thinks that a multimillion dollar corporation should not be held accountable for a poorly built product,noone even gets this worked up over the current healthcare fiasco going on,wow,what a shame on all of us
    The 'poorly built' part is his opinion, and the fact that it might be shared by some of the other whiners on this forum does not make it any more legitimate than those of the satisfied members (and vice versa). In my opinion, despite the problems (both software and hardware) this phone is not poorly built. Can it be improved? Absolutely! I would like even snappier performance, a bigger battery and flash support to name a view. Am I going to whine about why they weren't included? No, the time for that is long gone. Am I going to mention them? Of course.

    I have no problem with the slider and I don't care about the dumb 'oreo' effect.

    Now, it's time look forward. I'm confident many of the software and some of the hardware shortcommings will be solved by the aftermarket or eventually by Palm.
  20. #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    I understand the point of view that if you want the phone than you just have to deal with it, and if battery life was such a concern then I shouldn't have bought it in the first place, but that's just admitting defeat.
    No that's being rational.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions