Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 171
  1.    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Its late and maybe I'm being thick, but didn't that post just blow your whole previous argument out of the water? Same battery, faster processor, still comparable battery life.

    I mean, since we're trying to keep things in context. I know you want a bigger battery but at least give credit where credit is due.
    I get what you are saying, but the referenced chart does not compare the Pre to the iPhone 3Gs. From the reviews I've read, the iPhone 3Gs has better battery life.

    regardless... We all know it's going to take a HUGE amount of convincing to steal an adequate amount of customers away from the iPhone. The Pre just can't simply be on par with the iPhone, it needs to step it up, hence my original post.
  2. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #102  
    Actually, correct me if I'm wrong but the OP stated battey life made the Pre unusable for every day usage. But I recall that millions of people found the iPhone 3G very usable. In fact, desirable. Now if you want an above average battery that's fine. But all your previous posts claimed the battery life was subpar.
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Actually, correct me if I'm wrong but the OP stated battey life made the Pre unusable for every day usage. But I recall that millions of people found the iPhone 3G very usable. In fact, desirable. Now if you want an above average battery that's fine. But all your previous posts claimed the battery life was subpar.
    that is correct. I did claim it was sub-par. I can't speak for the general consensus on the iPhone 3G's battery life. I can say that most people who buy Apple products would be happy with anything that Steve Jobbs pooped into their hands.
  4. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #104  
    Then can't we just leave it at: the battery life is tolerable but not as good as you would like? Like hparsons said, maybe it doesn't meet your needs. That's perfectly legitimate. But it also legitimately works for a lot of people here; myself included.
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    Wow, I think I need to re-think my life now. Thanks GMoney!!! You're my hero.
    Finally!!
  6. #106  
    When it comes to threads like this, the Goat tends to pop his head in, notice that I have had a different experience with my Pre than him, realizes that sharing my experience will not be of any help to the OP, then pop out.

    Nearly all of these types of posts are bait for people to come in and get aggressive. I'm not saying that that is always the OP's intent... But a side effect that takes center stage quickly and renders the thread completely unproductive.

    Sadly, these types of unproductive threads seem to get the most attention.

    Truly... If there is nothing constructive to inform the OP of a problem/reaffirmation, then it is responsible for good forum members to ghost on out. Like this Goat.

    Then again... What else are we going to talk about? Maybe listen to my useless schpiels all day?

    ; )
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    ...
    regardless... We all know it's going to take a HUGE amount of convincing to steal an adequate amount of customers away from the iPhone. The Pre just can't simply be on par with the iPhone, it needs to step it up, hence my original post.
    Except that Palm has said for some time that their goal isn't to steal customers away from the iPhone. The smartphone market is increasing. Palm has stated publicly that their goal is to capture as much of that market as they can. Those are not iPhone users, or BB users, they are dumb phone users.

    Palm could take the attitude of yes, let's spend a couple more bucks on a a different battery. While we're at it, some folks feel that screen size is important. Oh yes, since we're working on the screen, some folks prefer glass over plastic, and we still want to maintain that sleek curved look. And the LED, some users really want that LED to glow different colors for different functions. And the feaure list. Can't forget that. Let's triple our programming crew so we can get every OS feature everyone wants, and still get it out in time, and fill that appliation catalog up immediately.

    World, welcome to the new Pre. a mere $999 after rebates...

    World...
    World... where are you guys.

    Seriously, the phone is what it is. If you don't want it, no one here is angry that you want to take it back. Just don't assume that the rest of us are idiots, fanboys, blinded by Pre-love, or any other stupid description you want to use. We're enjoying our phones. You go find one you enjoy, whether it's this one with the accessories that will make it good for you, or something else.
  8. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #108  
    Point taken, Goat.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmparsons View Post
    ...
    Here is my experience so far:

    The construction of the phone is just fine. The slider is a touch sloppy, but I'm not all that worried about it.
    Good post. Great name.
  10. jsabo's Avatar
    Posts
    427 Posts
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    #110  
    Here's my issue with this whole thing-- you have a problem with how the phone works for you. You post a rallying cry, saying that Palm screwed up, they did it wrong, we need to all go and get Palm to do things better.

    Then a bunch of people come along and say "well, no, that's actually not a problem for me."

    Then you continue to try to convince us that it is a problem, and we just don't realize that it is a problem, and if we would just admit it is a problem, then it would all be good and we can all go rally and make Palm do things better.

    When we remain unconvinced, that's the time to give up. Or at least give up trying to rally us to your side.

    Yes, your battery life may suck. Mine doesn't. I'm not about to start writing letters to Palm because some guys I never met complained on a message board about an issue that I don't have myself. I'm sure you're a nice guy and all, but sorry, I'm too lazy to take up this banner on your behalf.

    As for trying to save Palm the company? I really don't think battery life is the issue that makes or breaks them. App catalog, configuration options, manfacturing standards, video recording, whatever else iPhone did wrong this week, that's where this battle is won or lost.

    I'm sure you can find more recruits to fight your cause for you, but it seems like you're striking out here. Probably time to move on. Have fun storming the castle.
  11. #111  
    Groovy My intent was not to preach. You weren't attacking the OP at all.

    I was just trying to analyze why so many forums tend to degrade into circular bickering as of late.

    I don't believe you are contrubuting to any degredation at all. You're good peeps. I aslo believe that no one itends to start bickering. It's just a cycle.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
  12. #112  
    Well, I said "goodbye" to battery longlasting more than a day when I upgraded my Treo 650 to a 750. The only FACT is that if you need, if you want power, the dark side is battery life. The only devices that can last more than an entire day (symbian and BB?) doesn't fit my needs, so I have to take my car charger, or on a fast travel, my regular charger. I tried to take extended battery (not those that makes the device larger, I don't like), and just makes me end the day with a little more battery. That's a fact. If you want more day without charging, buy a crappy basic Nokia.

    About quality, Oreos and so on, just don't buy phones with moving parts. If you don't have movement with your brand new phone, you will have it on a few weeks, or months. If you use it, it will get movement. (Obviously, I'm not talking about broken devices). Sometimes, it's better the pieces to have some free movement. I've bought a few slider Nokia phones some time ago, and the worst one (the only that broked the slider) was the one with perfect movement. I don't say this is a fact, I just comment my experience, in this case.

    So, let's think a bit about this things before we purchase, not later. This will allow you to say "I like the Pre, but this device isn't for me".

    At least, I don't have a Pre, but as soon as Movistar starts to sell the phone I will buy it, but because I know it has that battery, and I could find that Oreo effect, and other issues commented, and I'm assuming that (problems?) can appear due to the device form factor. Of course I will change my phone if it has dead pixels, or discoloration, but that are the same problems I can find on other phones, or other devices with screen.

    Just buy a device that fit your needs, not the device you like, if you don't want to have complains.
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    First, let me preface this thread by saying that this is in no way intended to be a Pre bashing thread.

    Like many people on the forums, I had been eagerly anticipating the release of the Pre ever since they showed it off at CES. Hell, from that point on I was lurking on the forums looking for any new news that might surface. I had been using Blackberries for the past 4 years, and although I never had any problems, I was wanting somehting different and "fresh" and the iPhone never appealed to me because of the lack of physical keyboard (and because it'sApple). I waited until about a month and a half after the launch to by my (and my GF's) Pre. The next day we both had to go in for exchanges for different problems.

    Tomorrow, I will be exchanging the Pre for the BB Tour, but ultimately I am sad to do so. There is a lot I love about the Pre, and I know that there is a ton of potential for webOS, and from a software point of view, the Pre does everything it promises to do and more, but what I just can't get over is the hardware.

    My beef is not with the Pre itself, but with Palm and their poor execution of what could be an excellent device. I can deal with all the silly software-related hickups because I know more often than not a simple OS update can fix them. The inconsistencies in the manufacturing quality of the device itself is simply horrendous.

    There is an obvious reason why we keep seeing the same complaints over and over again on these forums. I've had my hands on 4 Pre's now, and they've all had different issues.

    Here is the nail in the coffin, however; Even if we ignore the faulty sliders, "oreo effect", batteries that are loose and cause the phone to shut off, and the light bleeding and discoloration on the screen, etc., the one thing that renders this device virtually unusable in a real world setting is the battery life. There is NO WAY you can casually use this device in the manner intended for an entire day on a single charge. We shouldn't have to make concessions on our devices and buy all kinds of extra chargers just so we can make it through the day with this thing.

    To make a long story short, I would love to be able to keep my Pre, but it is just not practical. I don't know how many times I will have to replace it to get one without any manufacturing defects, and even if I got one, I wouldn't be able to use it like I've used any previous phone, and certainly not in the way Palm intended.

    We need to stop making excuses for the Pre's shortcomings and hold Palm to a higher standard so they have some incentive to increase quality. It's interesting because I read through 35 pages on crackberry last night about problems people have been having with the Tour and the thread carried a completely different atmosphere than I've seen on this forum. Blackberry owners have become used to a high standard, so when RIM puts out a device with problems, you don't hear a bunch of BB fanboys on there trying to come up with excuses and telling people they need to stop complaining.

    Either way, I'm sad to see the Pre go, but I'm just going to have to wait until Palm gets their act together. Maybe the Pre v2 will be worth the money, but this one is not.
    I understand what you are saying, I used a BB curve for a good while, and never once did I ever think about taking it back. These people saying the batteries on bbs are just as bad is such a joke. My curve could last forever on a charge, no problem. Maybe its just my pre but after using the web for 10min, making a phone call and messing with apps, the battery will drop down to 50-60% easily. Thats with in probably 2 hours TOPS. Plus blackberries are easier to type on, you dont have to clean the screen all the time, or keep them in a fricken condom pouch 24/7.

    WebOS does look better, and the phone performs better too. The cards system is awesome, yes, and the browser is the best I have seen. I hope by the end of the summer they will have a good amount of updates out. Updates that the majority actually care about. Same with apps. I understand where you're coming from though. I almost switched from pre to tour. I decided to stay though and take my chances


    To be honest, Pre fanboys are just as bad as anyother. I dont consider myself a fanboy, but I will defend the pre against a lot of phones, especially the iPhone, same with Blackberries, I will defend them also. They are great devices.
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

    RIP

  14. PreBro132's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    #114  
    No more Palm Poo!
  15. #115  
    By saying "we" as opposed to mine or in my opinion in a Palm Pre enthusiasts website, you must have known you'd bring in fan boys along with other people. His Thread was designed to elicit the aggressive responses... How about stop acting like you speak for this forum when posting bash threads....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  16.    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    Here's my issue with this whole thing-- you have a problem with how the phone works for you. You post a rallying cry, saying that Palm screwed up, they did it wrong, we need to all go and get Palm to do things better.

    Then a bunch of people come along and say "well, no, that's actually not a problem for me."

    Then you continue to try to convince us that it is a problem, and we just don't realize that it is a problem, and if we would just admit it is a problem, then it would all be good and we can all go rally and make Palm do things better.

    When we remain unconvinced, that's the time to give up. Or at least give up trying to rally us to your side.

    Yes, your battery life may suck. Mine doesn't. I'm not about to start writing letters to Palm because some guys I never met complained on a message board about an issue that I don't have myself. I'm sure you're a nice guy and all, but sorry, I'm too lazy to take up this banner on your behalf.

    As for trying to save Palm the company? I really don't think battery life is the issue that makes or breaks them. App catalog, configuration options, manfacturing standards, video recording, whatever else iPhone did wrong this week, that's where this battle is won or lost.

    I'm sure you can find more recruits to fight your cause for you, but it seems like you're striking out here. Probably time to move on. Have fun storming the castle.
    Great post. Thank you.

    honestly, I was never trying to convince people of anything. I did not want this thread to turn into an argument over battery life. The main thing I have been trying to do the entire time is steer the focus back towards the OP.

    Just because I said we need to hold Palm to a higher standard doesn't mean that you have to hate your Pre. I, in fact, stated that I liked my Pre. All I'm saying is that whether or not you've had an issue with the phone, the Palm could have had much better results with the phone by simply just having better QC and better battery life. The Pre could have crushed the iPhone in reviews if it didn't have that black cloud of poor battery life over its head.

    On the flip side, it is perfectly reasonable to disagree completely, like some have done, stating that they have had no issues with their Pre and they don't feel the need to hold Palm to a higher standard. I have not discounted them.

    All I wanted to see was a healthy discussion about Palm stepping it up a notch. Disagreements are welcome, but a bunch of people coming in and making me out to be a whiner or complainer is just unnecessary and immature.
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    By saying "we" as opposed to mine or in my opinion in a Palm Pre enthusiasts website, you must have known you'd bring in fan boys along with other people. His Thread was designed to elicit the aggressive responses... How about stop acting like you speak for this forum when posting bash threads....
    I respect your stance, please don't twist my motives.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    the iPhone 3Gs has better battery life.


    You obviously haven't played with the thing.
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    This is a very strong argument. I respect your position.

    In my defense, I DID wait to buy the phone until it was on the market for over a month so that I could read some valuable reviews. For the most part, the reviews for the Pre were great, as expected. Mention of poor battery life was brief, at best. And let's face it, almost every new smartphone that has been released has been ridiculed for poor battery life, so based on here say, it was difficult to make such an assertion.

    Let's also not forget that I am not the only person to have a problem with battery life. Although I seem to be taking the most ridicule at the moment, there are a bunch of threads with Pre owners complaining about battery life.

    I still hold the stance that I have never started a thread with the specific agenda to bash or ridicule the Pre. I'm just simply a frustrated Pre buyer that wishes that Palm would have put a little more effort into QC.
    See, it's back to that pesky "constructive notice" thing; the information has been available to you for close to two months, yet you complain as though you were somehow hornswoggled into buying a bum device. You say you waited a month and a half after the release before your purchase, presumably ten days ago. There were myriad posts on multiple message boards--not reviews, which are often suspect--complaining about battery life, among other things. And in six weeks of "research" you never saw any of these? Perhaps your due diligence needs tuning up?

    I think a big part of the problem many have with phones of Pre's ilk is their expectations. My Motorola Razr served me quite well for over four years. I charged it a couple of times a week. Why doesn't this stupid Pre give me that kind of battery life? When I bought the Instinct, then the Pre, I did so knowing I was going to have to trade something for the additional capability, just as I did when I bought a laptop to replace my desktop. For me, a car charger and spare battery may just be in my future. I find it an acceptable tradeoff.

    Everyone has an absolute right to mitch and boan to whatever extent, and at whatever length they choose; but in this context, to adopt the pose of Wounded Consumer is just disingenuous.

    Personally, I wouldn't quite say "GoAT," because this thread has been somewhat entertaining, but, assuming you really are sincere about what you've written, I really do think you'd benefit from examining your own decision-making process.

    Joe Parsons
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    First, let me preface this thread by saying that this is in no way intended to be a Pre bashing thread.

    Like many people on the forums, I had been eagerly anticipating the release of the Pre ever since they showed it off at CES. Hell, from that point on I was lurking on the forums looking for any new news that might surface. I had been using Blackberries for the past 4 years, and although I never had any problems, I was wanting somehting different and "fresh" and the iPhone never appealed to me because of the lack of physical keyboard (and because it'sApple). I waited until about a month and a half after the launch to by my (and my GF's) Pre. The next day we both had to go in for exchanges for different problems.

    Tomorrow, I will be exchanging the Pre for the BB Tour, but ultimately I am sad to do so. There is a lot I love about the Pre, and I know that there is a ton of potential for webOS, and from a software point of view, the Pre does everything it promises to do and more, but what I just can't get over is the hardware.

    My beef is not with the Pre itself, but with Palm and their poor execution of what could be an excellent device. I can deal with all the silly software-related hickups because I know more often than not a simple OS update can fix them. The inconsistencies in the manufacturing quality of the device itself is simply horrendous.

    There is an obvious reason why we keep seeing the same complaints over and over again on these forums. I've had my hands on 4 Pre's now, and they've all had different issues.

    Here is the nail in the coffin, however; Even if we ignore the faulty sliders, "oreo effect", batteries that are loose and cause the phone to shut off, and the light bleeding and discoloration on the screen, etc., the one thing that renders this device virtually unusable in a real world setting is the battery life. There is NO WAY you can casually use this device in the manner intended for an entire day on a single charge. We shouldn't have to make concessions on our devices and buy all kinds of extra chargers just so we can make it through the day with this thing.

    To make a long story short, I would love to be able to keep my Pre, but it is just not practical. I don't know how many times I will have to replace it to get one without any manufacturing defects, and even if I got one, I wouldn't be able to use it like I've used any previous phone, and certainly not in the way Palm intended.

    We need to stop making excuses for the Pre's shortcomings and hold Palm to a higher standard so they have some incentive to increase quality. It's interesting because I read through 35 pages on crackberry last night about problems people have been having with the Tour and the thread carried a completely different atmosphere than I've seen on this forum. Blackberry owners have become used to a high standard, so when RIM puts out a device with problems, you don't hear a bunch of BB fanboys on there trying to come up with excuses and telling people they need to stop complaining.

    Either way, I'm sad to see the Pre go, but I'm just going to have to wait until Palm gets their act together. Maybe the Pre v2 will be worth the money, but this one is not.
    Your oratory is spot on and your points valid, but the usual ones are going to flame you to death and do all that you describe they are guilty off...come up with reasons why your post doesn't matter. Going by some of the retorts on the board, you'd think that the Pre has no faults at all or they're not worth "whining" about.

    Sigh...
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....

Posting Permissions