Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    If you think about it, on Sprint, the Tour is the only other option worth considering.
    You are right about that. Sprints line-up is abysmal.
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    exactly that.thats what we have been taught...do you really think that after spending 200-600$,that spending another 37-67$ is ok,i dont.not for something that is almost necessity out the box
    the reason our battery sucks is because palm didnt want to lose the extra dollars on a better battery,it effects their overall profit margin
    well having to spend more money than they would have,also effects my overall profit margin,and thats not right.i never had an extended battery in any of my phones.which i've had since the early to mid 90's.i dont even get moderate use out of my battery
    i did have 2 batteries for my mogul though,but i was killing that thing
    I would not call it a "necessity" out of the box. I am positive there are ppl who are getting by on the stock battery. But I do agree they could of done a better job with a battery but who knows why they chose that. The phone imo is worth the extra money if you "need" it.
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    exactly that.thats what we have been taught...do you really think that after spending 200-600$,that spending another 37-67$ is ok,i dont.not for something that is almost necessity out the box
    the reason our battery sucks is because palm didnt want to lose the extra dollars on a better battery,it effects their overall profit margin
    well having to spend more money than they would have,also effects my overall profit margin,and thats not right.i never had an extended battery in any of my phones.which i've had since the early to mid 90's.i dont even get moderate use out of my battery
    i did have 2 batteries for my mogul though,but i was killing that thing
    You can't compare the power requirements of the Pre to what you had in the 90s. All those nifty features we enjoy today require more power.

If you choose not to get a better battery, the only other logical solution
    (in your case) is to charge it more often or get rid of it. Complaining isn't going to help. What Palm 'shoulda' done doesn't matter after the fact does it? Before I bought the phone I read about the battery and knew I could run into issues so I invested in the car charger.
    Last edited by darreno1; 07/30/2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: spelling
    Ok, so now it's:

all I'm saying is that of all the latest gen smartphones, Palm gave the Pre the smallest capacity battery. That's a matter of fact, not opinion.
    When, before it was:

I think that if a company puts out a crappy product, they should be held accountable. Wouldn't everyone like to see the next version of the Pre have better hardware?
    And:

Here is the nail in the coffin...the one thing that renders this device virtually unusable in a real world setting is the battery life. There is NO WAY you can casually use this device in the manner intended for an entire day on a single charge. We shouldn't have to make concessions on our devices and buy all kinds of extra chargers just so we can make it through the day with this thing.
    I'm talking about all the people that aren't afraid to admit that the battery life on the Pre sucks. Even people that have given the phone good reviews have complained about the battery life.

I don't understand why people are so uptight about this. People need to stop taking this so personally. Just because the battery life sucks doesn't mean Pre owners need to be personally offended when someone says something about it. I love the Pre. I've said it before. I just think Palm messed up big time on this.
    Funniest of all:

Poor battery life is a fact, not an opinion.
    And:

Oh, and BTW, it;s no secret that the iPhone has better battery life, but don't take that as me picking sides, because I would choose the Pre any day over the iPhone, even with crappy battery life.
    Despite the fact that:

What does it matter what size battery is in there if it gets comparable battery life with other smartphones? It's like getting smoked by a Civic in your Lexus and then pointing out that the Civic only has a four-banger. My Pre easily makes it through a day of good use, and I'm not going to change my opinion of the battery life just because some whiney chucklehead on the internet tells me i should have a problem with it or there's something wrong with me.

No, you're not just stating a fact or trying to get some resolution. You're just whining. As many times as you've read it on this forum, you're not interested in the fact that it takes a while for the battery to come up to speed. You just want to whine and post a bunch of threads so everybody looks at you, and you're angry because people aren't stroking you and telling you what a handsome boy you are like mommy does.

Did I just hear that door hit you in the arse? You never listen.
  5.    #85  
    Thanks to those that are finally starting to get my original point.

I apologize if I have upset some people on here. I do not want to make enemies on this forum. I really was just trying to make a point, not trying to complain.

At this point, I am still on the fence. On one hand, I could try to exchange my Pre and hope to get one without any problems, invest in an extended battery, and a car charger, OR go for the BB and wait until Palm releases a Pre with less QC issues.

Either way, I need to return my current Pre because of the screen discoloration when the phone heats up.

I've just never had this dilemma with a phone before after spending this much money and it's a little frustrating.
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Ok, so now it's:

When, before it was:

And:

Funniest of all:

And:

Despite the fact that:

What does it matter what size battery is in there if it gets comparable battery life with other smartphones? It's like getting smoked by a Civic in your Lexus and then pointing out that the Civic only has a four-banger. My Pre easily makes it through a day of good use, and I'm not going to change my opinion of the battery life just because some whiney chucklehead on the internet tells me i should have a problem with it or there's something wrong with me.

No, you're not just stating a fact or trying to get some resolution. You're just whining. As many times as you've read it on this forum, you're not interested in the fact that it takes a while for the battery to come up to speed. You just want to whine and post a bunch of threads so everybody looks at you, and you're angry because people aren't stroking you and telling you what a handsome boy you are like mommy does.

Wow, I think I need to re-think my life now. Thanks GMoney!!! You're my hero.
  7.    #87  
    Ok, so now it's:

is it also OK to note that this little bit of data is not a fair comparison? The iPhone 3G and the Palm Pre both have a 1150mAh battery.

The iPhone 3G has a 412MHz processor and the Pre supposedly has a 600MHz processor. Faster CPU's typically require more power. The Pre is competing with the iPhone 3Gs, not the iPhone 3G.

I'm really not trying to split hairs here, but let's keep things relevant.
    Wow, I think I need to re-think my life now. Thanks GMoney!!! You're my hero.
    This one's on the house, don't expect any more freebies.
  9.    #89  
    This one's on the house, don't expect any more freebies.
    hehe, thanks. it's nice to see a little levity in here. I'm getting burnt out on all the seriousness.
    I've just never had this dilemma with a phone before after spending this much money and it's a little frustrating.
    Well, my opinion - and it's just my opinion - is that the whole purpose of having a forum is so that people can share experiences and find solutions. If you're really just looking for a solution to your problem, maybe you could take the advice you've been given, namely waiting to see if your battery gets better, rather than just creating thread after thread and post upon post complaining. You've got 30 days.

And like I said yesterday, it's possible that even your current issue is battery related and might go away once your battery matures.
    I'm puzzled.

I'm reading a lot of people who are indignant about the shortcomings of the Pre--and those shortcomings, like the inability to record video at present, or the inability to forward text messages, or the infamous battery life issue--were talked about publicly before they someone held a Glock to their temple to make them buy this hideous piece of equipment.

Disregarding the breathless, fawning reviews and the "buzz" that was apparently created by the Pre at CES, anyone about to plonk down a couple of Benjamins (I mean, what fool pays $500, anyway?), why wouldn't any prospective purchaser do at least some cursory research? Read the brochure? Hit the Palm website? Figure out what the battery life might be for real-world users?

I'm sorry, but I have less than no sympathy for people who decide to buy a piece of gear without checking it out, then complain because it doesn't meet their arbitrary ideals?

I really don't get it. I chose to be an early adopter, switching from an Instinct largely because of the ability to multi-task. There's a lot I miss (like voice dialing, video recording, VVM and a decent speed dialing function, for starters), but I suspect they'll appear in time. I bought the phone ($130 after rebate and a 1 year extension, thank you) with my eyes mostly open.

Here is my experience so far:

The construction of the phone is just fine. The slider is a touch sloppy, but I'm not all that worried about it.
    Hey GMoney749, let me guess, you also defend your 749

About the battery life. It's about as bad, (or good if you're hparsons) as my G1. I'm sorta used to it, the Centro wasn't great either.

One difference between phone models is also the type of usage. On the BB, I just can't see browsing much or playing music/videos, and those are all major power drains. So with a different type of device the difference may be due to usage. Just saying. I think Palm should have shipped it with something like the Seidio battery.

What irks me is that I'm willing to pay top dollar for a really good phone but manufacturers are forced into price points like $200 which results in a mediocre device. I mean, I just bought 4 Touchstones, a bunch of USB cables and Palm chargers (special ones required of course) and an extended battery. I'd much rather put all that money into a higher grade device upfront. But what can you do.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    FTIW, my battery life improved greatly when I opened the phone app, selected "Preferences", scrolled to "Network", and switched to "Sprint Only" (i.e. disabled roaming).

There seems to be some issue that causes the Pre to search for signal when "Automatic" roaming is enabled. This causes the Pre to heat up and exhaust the battery. Hopefully, a software update will resolve this.
  14.    #94  
    Well, my opinion - and it's just my opinion - is that the whole purpose of having a forum is so that people can share experiences and find solutions. If you're really just looking for a solution to your problem, maybe you could take the advice you've been given, namely waiting to see if your battery gets better, rather than just creating thread after thread and post upon post complaining. You've got 30 days.

And like I said yesterday, it's possible that even your current issue is battery related and might go away once your battery matures.
    You may be right. I do, however need to exchange this Pre regardless because I do not want to see a line of discolored pixels after using the phone for more than 5 mins at a time.

I understand that there are things I can do to improve battery life, but technically that's beside the point. I appreciate finally getting some constructive feedback, but really my original point is that Palm should have released a product that did not cause so much frustration for so many people for an issue that could have easily been avoided by shipping the device with a better battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Hey GMoney749, let me guess, you also defend your 749
    Haha, no - that's not about function, I bought that bike specifically for the "character"; if it didn't have quirks I'd take it back.
    I'm puzzled.

I'm reading a lot of people who are indignant about the shortcomings of the Pre--and those shortcomings, like the inability to record video at present, or the inability to forward text messages, or the infamous battery life issue--were talked about publicly before they someone held a Glock to their temple to make them buy this useless, overpriced piece of equipment.

Disregarding the breathless, fawning reviews and the mass hypnosis that was apparently created at CES, why wouldn't anyone about to plonk down a couple of Benjamins (I mean, what fool pays $500, anyway?) do at least some cursory research? Read the brochure? Hit the Palm website? Read the many forums? Figure out what the battery life might be for real-world users?

I'm sorry, but I have less than no sympathy for people who decide to buy a piece of gear without checking it out, then complain because it doesn't meet their arbitrary ideals.

I really don't get it. I chose to be an early adopter, switching from an Instinct largely because of the ability to multi-task. There's a lot I miss (like voice dialing, video recording, VVM and a decent speed dialing function, for starters), but I suspect they'll appear in time. I bought the phone ($130 after rebate and a 1 year extension, thank you) with my eyes mostly open.

Here is my experience so far:

* The construction of the phone is just fine. The slider is a touch sloppy, but I'm not all that worried about it. I don't know if I am just incredibly lucky. I usually have a reasonably good experience in restaurants, too.

* I'd like more battery life, but I can live with what I have. I took my phone off the Touchstone at 4:00 today. I have made a dozen calls, probably 20 text messages, spent about an hour on the web (3G, not WiFi). I'm at 85% battery, which seems to be an improvement over when I first got the phone a month or so ago. If battery life really were an issue for me, I'd 1) buy a spare battery; 2) get a charger for my car. So far, neither seems necessary.

* I often feel the lack of some of the features of the Instinct, like the aforementioned VVM, etc., but there are enough offsetting virtues (for me) to make this phone a "keeper." I have a certain amount of (pardon the expression) faith that some, if not all, of the missing features will appear some time soon.

To those who make statements like, "The battery life is crappy...that is a fact:" that is NOT a "fact;" that is a "value judgment." And, most importantly, the performance of the battery is public knowledge. There is a term in law, "constructive notice." This means that it is your responsibility to make "normal and reasonable inquiries" about the issue. No one can reasonably say that they didn't know about the battery life, since that information is so easily available.

So here's what puzzles me: Given the wealth of opinions and other data about this phone, how do you who complain so bitterly justify your apparently poor judgment? Are you just having buyer's remorse and are looking for sympathy?

Joe Parsons
    Last edited by jmparsons; 07/31/2009 at 12:58 AM. Reason: typo
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    FTIW, my battery life improved greatly when I opened the phone app, selected "Preferences", scrolled to "Network", and switched to "Sprint Only" (i.e. disabled roaming).

There seems to be some issue that causes the Pre to search for signal when "Automatic" roaming is enabled. This causes the Pre to heat up and exhaust the battery. Hopefully, a software update will resolve this.
    interesting...

I don't doubt that future updates will improve battery life. I've seen it happen with my last BB. When I first purchased my 8900, I was not pleased with the battery life compared to my 8320 Curve (even at that, the battery life was not as bad as the Pre). 3 months later they released an update that doubled the battery life, no joke.

I could hold out hope that the Pre might experience a similar update, but what can I do in the meantime? Spend a bunch of extra money on ways to keep it charged?
  18.    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmparsons View Post

To those who make statements like, "The battery life is crappy...that is a fact:" that is NOT a "fact;" that is a "value judgment." And, most importantly, the performance of the battery is public knowledge. There is a term in law, "constructive notice." This means that it is your responsibility to make "normal and reasonable inquiries" about the issue. No one can reasonably say that they didn't know about the battery life, since that information is so easily available.

So here's what puzzles me: Given the wealth of opinions and other data about this phone, how do you who complain so bitterly justify your apparently poor judgment? Are you just having buyer's remorse and are looking for sympathy?

Joe Parsons
    This is a very strong argument. I respect your position.

In my defense, I DID wait to buy the phone until it was on the market for over a month so that I could read some valuable reviews. For the most part, the reviews for the Pre were great, as expected. Mention of poor battery life was brief, at best. And let's face it, almost every new smartphone that has been released has been ridiculed for poor battery life, so based on here say, it was difficult to make such an assertion.

Let's also not forget that I am not the only person to have a problem with battery life. Although I seem to be taking the most ridicule at the moment, there are a bunch of threads with Pre owners complaining about battery life.

I still hold the stance that I have never started a thread with the specific agenda to bash or ridicule the Pre. I'm just simply a frustrated Pre buyer that wishes that Palm would have put a little more effort into QC.
    I appreciate finally getting some constructive feedback, but really my original point is that Palm should have released a product that did not cause so much frustration for so many people for an issue that could have easily been avoided by shipping the device with a better battery.
    Well, I think there are probably really good reasons they put that battery in there. I think the general assumption that all companies are mean/evil/stupid and just trying to rip you off is a bad one. The people working there are trying their best, just like everybody else, and are not out to get over on the world. It's not like they're sitting around the offices on stacks of gold smoking dollar bills. It's just so easy to talk about how everybody else sucks and needs to kiss your arse because you spent a whole $200.

But I do think Palm could probably make a few more friends by simply having the folks in the store tell you that you're going to get crappy battery life over the first few weeks. Or put a little insert in the box that says as much.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    is it also OK to note that this little bit of data is not a fair comparison? The iPhone 3G and the Palm Pre both have a 1150mAh battery.

The iPhone 3G has a 412MHz processor and the Pre supposedly has a 600MHz processor. Faster CPU's typically require more power. The Pre is competing with the iPhone 3Gs, not the iPhone 3G.

I'm really not trying to split hairs here, but let's keep things relevant.
    Its late and maybe I'm being thick, but didn't that post just blow your whole previous argument out of the water? Same battery, faster processor, still comparable battery life.

I mean, since we're trying to keep things in context. I know you want a bigger battery but at least give credit where credit is due.
    Last edited by groovy; 07/31/2009 at 01:29 AM.