Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    I was in the same boat as you Skinny. I loved my Pre but it just wasn't as solid as I would have liked. I went down to Sprint's store to try out the Tour twice, and, as someone already stated, if you like email, it's great. But email is about all you're going to get, and even then it's just pain text. The web browser was awful. It was slow (almost to the point of being unusable), it never renders pages correctly, and it's very hard to navigate even with the keyboard shortcuts.

Furthermore, if you're thinking you're getting bulletproof hardware, look around some more. Search Youtube for BB Tour Screen Waving (I think that's what they call it). Almost every Tour does it. Try it out on one in the store. And the trackball is proving to be a major point of failure. (As a sidenote: Blackberry's getting rid of the trackball in the new models in favor of touchpad type system.) On the plus side, BB will honor their warranty; no questions asked.

In the end, I kept my Pre. It just does EVERYTHING better. Yes, the hardware is somewhat lacking, but I haven't had any issue with mine, and as long as Palm will honor their warranty, it shouldn't be an issue.

Good Luck with your Tour.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    I love how you prefaced it with this isnt another "complaint" thread
    it quickly devolved from that point.
    Again, enjoy your tour. no one cares about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    I'm talking about all the people that aren't afraid to admit that the battery life on the Pre sucks. Even people that have given the phone good reviews have complained about the battery life.

I don't understand why people are so uptight about this. People need to stop taking this so personally. Just because the battery life sucks doesn't mean Pre owners need to be personally offended when someone says something about it. I love the Pre. I've said it before. I just think Palm messed up big time on this.

http://anandtech.com

Battery life is comparable to the iPhone which still isn't as good as some BBerries but not horrible. If you read on the BB forums users are having battery problems with the Tour as well.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by DSmithJR View Post
    I was in the same boat as you Skinny. I loved my Pre but it just wasn't as solid as I would have liked. I went down to Sprint's store to try out the Tour twice, and, as someone already stated, if you like email, it's great. But email is about all you're going to get, and even then it's just pain text. The web browser was awful. It was slow (almost to the point of being unusable), it never renders pages correctly, and it's very hard to navigate even with the keyboard shortcuts.

Furthermore, if you're thinking you're getting bulletproof hardware, look around some more. Search Youtube for BB Tour Screen Waving (I think that's what they call it). Almost every Tour does it. Try it out on one in the store. And the trackball is proving to be a major point of failure. (As a sidenote: Blackberry's getting rid of the trackball in the new models in favor of touchpad type system.) On the plus side, BB will honor their warranty; no questions asked.

In the end, I kept my Pre. It just does EVERYTHING better. Yes, the hardware is somewhat lacking, but I haven't had any issue with mine, and as long as Palm will honor their warranty, it shouldn't be an issue.

Good Luck with your Tour.
    I want to keep my Pre, but what am I supposed to do if I can't make it through the day on a single charge?
    I want to keep my Pre, but what am I supposed to do if I can't make it through the day on a single charge?
    Like others have stated it seems the phone needs a good couple weeks to calibrate the battery meter. I know this sounds stupid but battery life got way better for me and others a couple weeks in.

What does your day to day look like? I have a touchstone in my car, so even after my 1 hour commute playing Pandora the whole time I am at 100%.

I know the Touchstone seems like a waste of money but it is one the coolest things about the Pre.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I agree 100%, and I did wait to buy it. I wanted to read as many reviews as possible. I knew going in that it was going to have poor battery life, but that's been said about every new smartphone so I didn't really take it seriously because I've noticed that some people still think their new smartphones should be able to go 2-3 days like their old cell phones. I don't have those expectations, but I would like to at least be able to make it through an entire day and I'm sad to report that the Pre just can't offer that.

I truly am disappointed. I loved my Blackberry 8900. I left T-Mobile and paid a $200 early termination fee just so I could get the Pre. If my GF didn't love her Pre so much, I'd go back to my 8900 on T-Mobile and just wait a while and see if any improvements are made. I'm hoping that in a few years when I'm due for an upgrade the Pre v2 will be out.
    I'm curious--why didn't you keep the T-mobile account active while you gave the Pre a 30-day trial? If you didn't like it, all you be out is the charges for the number of days you used Sprint's service. For example, on an 8-day trial of a Storm, it cost me just $16 (ie 2 bucks a day, or $16--quite a nominal fee to try that phone) for Storms for my wife and I. Upon returning the Storms, we reactivated our old phones. It was worth the cost, but it wasn't worth all the hassles those Storms presented (at least not to ME).
    How about the new bigger battery for sale?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    I'm curious--why didn't you keep the T-mobile account active while you gave the Pre a 30-day trial? If you didn't like it, all you be out is the charges for the number of days you used Sprint's service. For example, on an 8-day trial of a Storm, it cost me just $16 (ie 2 bucks a day, or $16--quite a nominal fee to try that phone) for Storms for my wife and I. Upon returning the Storms, we reactivated our old phones. It was worth the cost, but it wasn't worth all the hassles those Storms presented (at least not to ME).
    Just a guess... But I think he would of lost his old number if he did that?
    I'm not going "over" to blackberry, I'm going "back" to blackberry.

Also, if you'll notice, all my complaints have been consistent. I'm not just "whining" all over the place. I've always maintained the stance that the Palm Pre is a great device that was poorly executed. It has nothing to do with whether BB is better than Palm, and I certainly don't give a crap about Jim Kramer or Palm stock.

I think that if a company puts out a crappy product, they should be held accountable. Wouldn't everyone like to see the next version of the Pre have better hardware?

The thing I'll like most about getting rid of the Pre is not having to listen to a bunch of a-holes, who, rather than providing mature constructive feedback, just start making personal attacks against the poster.
    Bull. Most of the folks that have responded to you have simply disagreed. Nothing personal, we just disagree. You then accuse us of making excuses. Not facimg rality, ec. You like the BB better, i've got no complaint with that. However that doesn't mean I'm not holding them up to a high enough standard. That's just you being arrogant.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    That I can't answer. In all honesty, I probably wouldn't make through the whole day either, but for the fact that I spend about an hour a day tethering via USB.

All I'm saying is that I was in the same boat as you. I kept telling myself that I should just go get the Tour, but every time I went and looked, I just left felling so unimpressed by the phone. If BB would just completely overhaul their browser, I'd be all over it. As it is now, it just didn't seem like a phone that would make good use of our rather expensive Sprint Data Plan. I mean, it was just so lacking. I don't use many apps on my Pre, but the ones I do use aren't available on BBs. For example, I use Flixster like every week. It's great being able to get movie times, reviews, and trailers right on my phone. To the best of my knowledge, there's noting like that for BBs. You'd have to use the web browser (God help you) and try to get movie times from a site like Yahoo or something. Try watching a Youtube video on a BB. Really, try it. I guess I've just been using Iphones, G1s, and now the Pre for so long that I can't get myself to "downgrade" to BB's OS. Every phone I've had for the last year has come standard with, for instance, a nice Youtube player. (BTW, the Pre's is the best.)

But the real killer is no WIFI. Sprint's data is fine, but when I'm anywhere near a good WIFI spot I use it. Although, with the BB's browser, I'm sure I wouldn't use WIFI as much as I do on the Pre.

However, let me say this: if I do have any issues with my Pre before my 30 days are up, I'd really, really, really have a hard time not switching to the Tour.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeko318 View Post
    How about the new bigger battery for sale?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Like others have stated it seems the phone needs a good couple weeks to calibrate the battery meter. I know this sounds stupid but battery life got way better for me and others a couple weeks in.

What does your day to day look like? I have a touchstone in my car, so even after my 1 hour commute playing Pandora the whole time I am at 100%.

I know the Touchstone seems like a waste of money but it is one the coolest things about the Pre.
    The touchstone is cool, and I did plan on getting a few (one for the car and one for home) but in keeping with my original point, I don't think Pre owners should have to go to extra lengths just so they can get a full days use out of their phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeko318 View Post
    Just a guess... But I think he would of lost his old number if he did that?
    exactly. I ported my number, so as far as I know, I couldn't keep both lines active.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by DSmithJR View Post
    That I can't answer. In all honesty, I probably wouldn't make through the whole day either, but for the fact that I spend about an hour a day tethering via USB.

All I'm saying is that I was in the same boat as you. I kept telling myself that I should just go get the Tour, but every time I went and looked, I just left felling so unimpressed by the phone. If BB would just completely overhaul their browser, I'd be all over it. As it is now, it just didn't seem like a phone that would make good use of our rather expensive Sprint Data Plan. I mean, it was just so lacking. I don't use many apps on my Pre, but the ones I do use aren't available on BBs. For example, I use Flixster like every week. It's great being able to get movie times, reviews, and trailers right on my phone. To the best of my knowledge, there's noting like that for BBs. You'd have to use the web browser (God help you) and try to get movie times from a site like Yahoo or something. Try watching a Youtube video on a BB. Really, try it. I guess I've just been using Iphones, G1s, and now the Pre for so long that I can't get myself to "downgrade" to BB's OS. Every phone I've had for the last year has come standard with, for instance, a nice Youtube player. (BTW, the Pre's is the best.)

But the real killer is no WIFI. Sprint's data is fine, but when I'm anywhere near a good WIFI spot I use it. Although, with the BB's browser, I'm sure I would use WIFI as much as I do on the Pre.

However, let me say this: if I do have any issues with my Pre before my 30 days are up, I'd really, really, really have a hard time not switching to the Tour.
    I don't want to get into a BB vs Pre debate like some have tried to do in this thread. I never tried to say that the BB was better. IMO you can't compare the two because each has a different user experience and obviously, depending on your preference, you'd choose one or the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    You've owned the device what, a week? If battery life was actually your big issue one would think you'd do a little searching around (or hell, maybe just through this thread), and note that most of the people on here are experiencing good battery life and tons of people have posted about battery life improving over time. One would think that maybe you'd wait a couple weeks and see if it's true, hell you've got 30 days, right?

Is it at all possible that some guy who has supposedly owned three devices in a week isn't the one to be proclaiming to everyone else that they're delusional or a fanboy because their batteries actually last all day? Does it last 2 or 3 days like my BB? No, but then I hardly ever picked up my BB and all it was good at was email. I'm on this thing off and on all day.

But then, you're the guy that thinks he should be able to come onto the Pre board and say the phone sucks and everybody else is just supposed to pat you on the back for it.

Maybe a different tone and less BS would net different results.
    I'm wondering if the timing of SharonW's observations about the ... Inconsistencies ... of his posts have anything to do with his decision...
    Never have I said the phone sucks and I never expected a pat on the back. Like most of the people on here, you choose to interpret any negative feedback as saying the Pre sucks. I like the Pre. I think it's awesome (in theory).

I'm honestly not surprised people are reacting this way. It has become common practice in our society to always come up with excuses or try to place blame elsewhere.

I'm sorry that everyone is offended that I don't think the Pre is perfect.
    Ok, you're right; you said battery life sucks and I said I don't think you've given it enough time to make that blanket statement on behalf of the world. Rather than a little critical thought (like one would expect if you really were looking for an intelligent discussion and solution and are not just whining), you continue to ignore any statements or helpful suggestions that don't support your opening premise.
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm wondering if the timing of SharonW's observations about the ... Inconsistencies ... of his posts have anything to do with his decision...
    There has NEVER been any inconsistencies. I challenge you to prove otherwise.
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Ok, you're right; you said battery life sucks and I said I don't think you've given it enough time to make that blanket statement on behalf of the world. Rather than a little critical thought (like one would expect if you really were looking for an intelligent discussion and solution and are not just whining), you continue to ignore any statements or helpful suggestions that don't support your opening premise.
    Poor battery life is a fact, not an opinion.
    Never have I said the phone sucks and I never expected a pat on the back. Like most of the people on here, you choose to interpret any negative feedback as saying the Pre sucks. I like the Pre. I think it's awesome (in theory).

I'm honestly not surprised people are reacting this way. It has become common practice in our society to always come up with excuses or try to place blame elsewhere.

I'm sorry that everyone is offended that I don't think the Pre is perfect.
    Ahhhh_ now we understand. It's awsome in "theory". It just in reality that we're all wrong for keeping ours.

And here I was thinking you were trashing it and us...silly me.
    I guess I should have known better than to try and have an intelligent conversation here...
    Yeah, you need intelligent points to do that...
    OK thats cool its not for you. Quite frankly I have known that since about your 5th post. I tried the BB for about a month and quickly learned if was not for me. I have not posted at Crackberry since. Hopefully now you can be a real man and just exit the forum and not continue the b***ing and moaning like others seem to be addicted to.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Ahhhh_ now we understand. It's awsome in "theory". It just in reality that we're all wrong for keeping ours.

And here I was thinking you were trashing it and us...silly me.
    what the heck are you talking about!!!

You have serious issues if my problem with the poor battery life is the equivalent to a personal attack.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast