Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Trying to be rational here is like pissing into a strong wind. Sure you can do it but regardless of how hard you try you're still going to **** on yourself.

Too many people here are either blinded by fanboi-ism or hate of the device. Don't expect very many to understand a middle ground approach.

Love or hate the device one thing that just about every serious review has said is the battery life is pretty shoddy. Yet you will still have people here defend it. You will have people that say the device doesn't lag, that it doesn't take 2 seconds for the full rez picture to load when you swipe, that the email client isn't slow or that the phone is perfect just the way it is. Fact is Palm could **** in a box and sell it and someone would defend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    To make a long story short
    I always enjoy pointing out things like this.
    I don't mean to attack but I am getting tired of people posting threads over and over crying about battery life, smiley faces and applications that make fart noises. I do understand that some people are experiencing hardware issues which are all covered under the warranty and the protection plan but lets not keep complaining about it over and over. If you don't like the phone than get rid of it nobody here cares so don't post a thread about it. Everybody is looking for different features in a phone, mine is I need the ability to quickly access several web pages at once and the pre is the best for that. Blackberrys are great in their own way and if that is what you need than go for it but please stop bashing my phone.
    First, let me preface this thread by saying that this is in no way intended to be a Pre bashing thread.

Like many people on the forums, I had been eagerly anticipating the release of the Pre ever since they showed it off at CES. Hell, from that point on I was lurking on the forums looking for any new news that might surface. I had been using Blackberries for the past 4 years, and although I never had any problems, I was wanting somehting different and "fresh" and the iPhone never appealed to me because of the lack of physical keyboard (and because it'sApple). I waited until about a month and a half after the launch to by my (and my GF's) Pre. The next day we both had to go in for exchanges for different problems.

Tomorrow, I will be exchanging the Pre for the BB Tour, but ultimately I am sad to do so. There is a lot I love about the Pre, and I know that there is a ton of potential for webOS, and from a software point of view, the Pre does everything it promises to do and more, but what I just can't get over is the hardware.

My beef is not with the Pre itself, but with Palm and their poor execution of what could be an excellent device. I can deal with all the silly software-related hickups because I know more often than not a simple OS update can fix them. The inconsistencies in the manufacturing quality of the device itself is simply horrendous.

There is an obvious reason why we keep seeing the same complaints over and over again on these forums. I've had my hands on 4 Pre's now, and they've all had different issues.

Here is the nail in the coffin, however; Even if we ignore the faulty sliders, "oreo effect", batteries that are loose and cause the phone to shut off, and the light bleeding and discoloration on the screen, etc., the one thing that renders this device virtually unusable in a real world setting is the battery life. There is NO WAY you can casually use this device in the manner intended for an entire day on a single charge. We shouldn't have to make concessions on our devices and buy all kinds of extra chargers just so we can make it through the day with this thing.

To make a long story short, I would love to be able to keep my Pre, but it is just not practical. I don't know how many times I will have to replace it to get one without any manufacturing defects, and even if I got one, I wouldn't be able to use it like I've used any previous phone, and certainly not in the way Palm intended.

We need to stop making excuses for the Pre's shortcomings and hold Palm to a higher standard so they have some incentive to increase quality. It's interesting because I read through 35 pages on crackberry last night about problems people have been having with the Tour and the thread carried a completely different atmosphere than I've seen on this forum. Blackberry owners have become used to a high standard, so when RIM puts out a device with problems, you don't hear a bunch of BB fanboys on there trying to come up with excuses and telling people they need to stop complaining.

Either way, I'm sad to see the Pre go, but I'm just going to have to wait until Palm gets their act together. Maybe the Pre v2 will be worth the money, but this one is not.
    You may have to hold palm to a higher standard. I don't. In fact I'm very happy with the pre. What was the point of this to find other people with the same standards? Was posting here going to show palm you were serious? What did you think would happen by posting a thread to say you were leaving the pre? Did you need someone to leave with you so you are convinced your making the right decision? Idk, but lets hope you never need wifi!
    had the 7100, got the Pearl when it first launched, then upgraded to the Curve when it launched, then upgraded to the 8900 when it launched. I only had the 8900 for 3 months before getting the Pre.

I'm talking about all the people that aren't afraid to admit that the battery life on the Pre sucks. Even people that have given the phone good reviews have complained about the battery life.

I don't understand why people are so uptight about this. People need to stop taking this so personally. Just because the battery life sucks doesn't mean Pre owners need to be personally offended when someone says something about it. I love the Pre. I've said it before. I just think Palm messed up big time on this.

To me, it's the equivalent of Lexus putting out a new full size luxury sedan with all kinds of awesome features and advertising how awesome it is to drive around with 400hp and use all the new technology, but then only put a 5 gallon gas tank in the car.
    You've owned the device what, a week? If battery life was actually your big issue one would think you'd do a little searching around (or hell, maybe just through this thread), and note that most of the people on here are experiencing good battery life and tons of people have posted about battery life improving over time. One would think that maybe you'd wait a couple weeks and see if it's true, hell you've got 30 days, right?

Is it at all possible that some guy who has supposedly owned three devices in a week isn't the one to be proclaiming to everyone else that they're delusional or a fanboy because their batteries actually last all day? Does it last 2 or 3 days like my BB? No, but then I hardly ever picked up my BB and all it was good at was email. I'm on this thing off and on all day.

But then, you're the guy that thinks he should be able to come onto the Pre board and say the phone sucks and everybody else is just supposed to pat you on the back for it.

Maybe a different tone and less BS would net different results.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    I don't mean to attack but I am getting tired of people posting threads over and over crying about battery life, smiley faces and applications that make fart noises. I do understand that some people are experiencing hardware issues which are all covered under the warranty and the protection plan but lets not keep complaining about it over and over. If you don't like the phone than get rid of it nobody here cares so don't post a thread about it. Everybody is looking for different features in a phone, mine is I need the ability to quickly access several web pages at once and the pre is the best for that. Blackberrys are great in their own way and if that is what you need than go for it but please stop bashing my phone.
    This isn't a thread designed to complain about battery life. I simply stated that for me, that is why I am returning it. As the title of the thread suggests, the point of this thread is that Palm needs to up their game in the hardware department if they want to truly be competitive in the smartphone market.

You have to keep in mind, if Palm wants to be competitive in the $200 smart phone market, they have to capture a good chunk of the BB and iPhone users. They will never succeed at doing this just by simply having an awesome OS, they also need to have hardware that is up to par.

When it comes down to hardware quality between the BB, iPhone, and Pre, the Pre I'm sorry to say is lacking.

Now to be fair, this is a 1st gen device, and I get that. All I am saying is that if people keep making excuses instead of demanding better quality, Palm will not have any incentive to put out better quality.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    To me, it's the equivalent of Lexus putting out a new full size luxury sedan with all kinds of awesome features and advertising how awesome it is to drive around with 400hp and use all the new technology, but then only put a 5 gallon gas tank in the car.
    Wrong. It's like you buying a new Lexus and me coming up to you every day and telling you how much your car sucks!

Give it a rest. We all know how you feel by now.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post

But then, you're the guy that thinks he should be able to come onto the Pre board and say the phone sucks and everybody else is just supposed to pat you on the back for it.

Maybe a different tone and less BS would net different results.
    Never have I said the phone sucks and I never expected a pat on the back. Like most of the people on here, you choose to interpret any negative feedback as saying the Pre sucks. I like the Pre. I think it's awesome (in theory).

I'm honestly not surprised people are reacting this way. It has become common practice in our society to always come up with excuses or try to place blame elsewhere.

I'm sorry that everyone is offended that I don't think the Pre is perfect.
  9.    #29  
    I guess I should have known better than to try and have an intelligent conversation here...
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Battery life on my pre is great. I use my phone all day long, come home and use it more, and put it on the charger when I go to bed. Sounds like you weren't patient enough to let the battery break in. My battery life was terrible initially as well, it took a month or so to get as strong as it is now. I also don't have any quality issues with my phone, and I don't just consider myself lucky. Maybe you need to hold palm to a higher standard, but I don't, my experience has been epic thus far. If you like the web browsing on the pre, you're going to hate the tour, its not an upgrade from the pre, its a downgrade.

battery life is great?? what battery is that and how can I get it. The Pre has horrible battery life. even by smartphone standards. I suppose being connected to the cloud all the time puts serious drain on the battery that other phone do not. But it is virtually unusable for an entire day. Even after doing everything possible to conserve battery life it just cant make it. I have to put it in airplane mode for periods of the day just to get it to last. That is really unacceptable. It integrates with gtalk, but you cant leave it logged on or the batt life will rapidly decrease, well whats the point then?? If your cell phone has to be constantly plugged in, then its not much of a cell phone then is it? Its a glorified landline. Also, not everyone has a job when they can charge there phone at work. The touchstone is great if you have a 9-5 job at a desk but otherwise, this phone is hard pressed to last very long on a single charge. Im not a pre hater though, I think its a great phone, and i like it, but the batt life is really unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordus View Post
    Theres no question, the blackberry hardware is basically indestructible.

I have a 3 year old model at work and i try to break it but it just wont bust.

I know if i drop the pre once, maybe twice, its done for.

Conversly, the BB OS is buggier than an ant hill.
    I used to throw my pearl, it was beat to hell truth be told, I didn't care about it. I care about my pre, its a much better phone, and I paid twice as much for it. My pearl finally started catching up when I couldn't use the usb port any more to charge or sync it. Had to buy an external charger so I could keep the pearl until the pre came out.
    First, let me preface this thread by saying that this is in no way intended to be a Pre bashing thread.

Like many people on the forums, I had been eagerly anticipating the release of the Pre ever since they showed it off at CES. Hell, from that point on I was lurking on the forums looking for any new news that might surface. I had been using Blackberries for the past 4 years, and although I never had any problems, I was wanting somehting different and "fresh" and the iPhone never appealed to me because of the lack of physical keyboard (and because it'sApple). I waited until about a month and a half after the launch to by my (and my GF's) Pre. The next day we both had to go in for exchanges for different problems.

Tomorrow, I will be exchanging the Pre for the BB Tour, but ultimately I am sad to do so. There is a lot I love about the Pre, and I know that there is a ton of potential for webOS, and from a software point of view, the Pre does everything it promises to do and more, but what I just can't get over is the hardware.

My beef is not with the Pre itself, but with Palm and their poor execution of what could be an excellent device. I can deal with all the silly software-related hickups because I know more often than not a simple OS update can fix them. The inconsistencies in the manufacturing quality of the device itself is simply horrendous.

There is an obvious reason why we keep seeing the same complaints over and over again on these forums. I've had my hands on 4 Pre's now, and they've all had different issues.

Here is the nail in the coffin, however; Even if we ignore the faulty sliders, "oreo effect", batteries that are loose and cause the phone to shut off, and the light bleeding and discoloration on the screen, etc., the one thing that renders this device virtually unusable in a real world setting is the battery life. There is NO WAY you can casually use this device in the manner intended for an entire day on a single charge. We shouldn't have to make concessions on our devices and buy all kinds of extra chargers just so we can make it through the day with this thing.

To make a long story short, I would love to be able to keep my Pre, but it is just not practical. I don't know how many times I will have to replace it to get one without any manufacturing defects, and even if I got one, I wouldn't be able to use it like I've used any previous phone, and certainly not in the way Palm intended.

We need to stop making excuses for the Pre's shortcomings and hold Palm to a higher standard so they have some incentive to increase quality. It's interesting because I read through 35 pages on crackberry last night about problems people have been having with the Tour and the thread carried a completely different atmosphere than I've seen on this forum. Blackberry owners have become used to a high standard, so when RIM puts out a device with problems, you don't hear a bunch of BB fanboys on there trying to come up with excuses and telling people they need to stop complaining.

Either way, I'm sad to see the Pre go, but I'm just going to have to wait until Palm gets their act together. Maybe the Pre v2 will be worth the money, but this one is not.
    It's really simple--I DID hold Palm to a higher standard--I refused to buy a Pre, once I saw it in person. It's far too small for me, and with non-adjustable fonts, is a no-go for me or my wife who also saw how diminutive it is. That's without even going into all the other "gotchas" the Pre presents it's owners. The basic point I'm making is 1) Don't be an early adopter UNLESS you (I refer to the collective "you"--not "you" personally) promise not to whine about the shortcomings, and 2) simply wait a week or more to see how the early adopters fared with their new toys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtone View Post
    battery life is great?? what battery is that and how can I get it. The Pre has horrible battery life. even by smartphone standards. I suppose being connected to the cloud all the time puts serious drain on the battery that other phone do not. But it is virtually unusable for an entire day. Even after doing everything possible to conserve battery life it just cant make it. I have to put it in airplane mode for periods of the day just to get it to last. That is really unacceptable. It integrates with gtalk, but you cant leave it logged on or the batt life will rapidly decrease, well whats the point then?? If your cell phone has to be constantly plugged in, then its not much of a cell phone then is it? Its a glorified landline. Also, not everyone has a job when they can charge there phone at work. The touchstone is great if you have a 9-5 job at a desk but otherwise, this phone is hard pressed to last very long on a single charge. Im not a pre hater though, I think its a great phone, and i like it, but the batt life is really unacceptable.
    Sucks for you, my battery life is great. Its been off the charger since 4, and I've been using it heavily since(nearly 8 now), and I'm at 63% battery left.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I pulled my phone off the charger this morning at 7:30. Only three or four calls, but streamed Pandora for 2.5 hours straight. Did plenty of web searching. Lots of texting too. It's approx 7:45 now here, and I have 51% remaining. Not bad for me. (FYI, don't have my email coming thru yet)
    I will agree with you in the sense that I don't believe this phone is perfect. It is however the best phone I have ever had. I had a blackberry for about a week but it was not for me. Different ppl want different things. The browser on this is great and I love the webos.

I haven't had this phone for quite a week yet but I am almost sure I will be keeping it for good. I understand your issue with battery. I have had treo 755p and while the life is good its not stelar and mom/sister both have the Centro and that has low life also. It doesn't seem like a new thing for palm.

I believe for a complete overhall and reinvention of what Palm has made in the past that this is a rly great start and I am loving my phone so far. I hope your new tour treats you better then the Palm did!
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    I pulled my phone off the charger this morning at 7:30. Only three or four calls, but streamed Pandora for 2.5 hours straight. Did plenty of web searching. Lots of texting too. It's approx 7:45 now here, and I have 51% remaining. Not bad for me. (FYI, don't have my email coming thru yet)
    Thats impressive, I'm gonna have to note the percentages on mine and compare.
    I know signal strength makes a big difference.
    The battery life will not be the same for everyone...too many variables involved. For me it's a tiny bit worse than my iphone was but I can still get through a full day: 9.00am -6.00pm without a charge and that includes a decent amount of email, surfing, phone calls and texting.

Anyway, because there are better batteries out there, and because it's quite practical with this phone to carry a spare, the battery excuse is pretty weak imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    It's really simple--I DID hold Palm to a higher standard--I refused to buy a Pre, once I saw it in person. It's far too small for me, and with non-adjustable fonts, is a no-go for me or my wife who also saw how diminutive it is. That's without even going into all the other "gotchas" the Pre presents it's owners. The basic point I'm making is 1) Don't be an early adopter UNLESS you (I refer to the collective "you"--not "you" personally) promise not to whine about the shortcomings, and 2) simply wait a week or more to see how the early adopters fared with their new toys.
    This is the best ost possibly on this entire forum. Major kudos to you sir.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    I agree 100%, and I did wait to buy it. I wanted to read as many reviews as possible. I knew going in that it was going to have poor battery life, but that's been said about every new smartphone so I didn't really take it seriously because I've noticed that some people still think their new smartphones should be able to go 2-3 days like their old cell phones. I don't have those expectations, but I would like to at least be able to make it through an entire day and I'm sad to report that the Pre just can't offer that.

I truly am disappointed. I loved my Blackberry 8900. I left T-Mobile and paid a $200 early termination fee just so I could get the Pre. If my GF didn't love her Pre so much, I'd go back to my 8900 on T-Mobile and just wait a while and see if any improvements are made. I'm hoping that in a few years when I'm due for an upgrade the Pre v2 will be out.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeko318 View Post
    I will agree with you in the sense that I don't believe this phone is perfect. It is however the best phone I have ever had. I had a blackberry for about a week but it was not for me. Different ppl want different things. The browser on this is great and I love the webos.

I haven't had this phone for quite a week yet but I am almost sure I will be keeping it for good. I understand your issue with battery. I have had treo 755p and while the life is good its not stelar and mom/sister both have the Centro and that has low life also. It doesn't seem like a new thing for palm.

I believe for a complete overhall and reinvention of what Palm has made in the past that this is a rly great start and I am loving my phone so far. I hope your new tour treats you better then the Palm did!
    Thank you for understanding.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast