Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    It took me forever, but it worked. I used the excellent Terminal application to do it.

Steps were fairly simple: use wget to download the .ipk file to a temp directory, then install it as root via the ipkg command. I couldn't recall the Luna restart command so being lazy I just did a reboot, and viola!

The only tricky part about the whole thing was manually typing the giant URL to get the .ipk. Paste didn't seem to work..
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Aww you got me excited at one point and time you had to use a PC, no fun lol!.
    I use filecoaster, easy as pie.

I never had to use a PC.
    Actually its a lot easier to use the windows app loader to get filecoaster on the pre and then use that to download away.

http://www.precentral.net/installing...rop-device-too
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I also use FileCoaster. This is really slick once you get it installed. That was also no problem, since I had already been installing the ipks using the PC SDK software. Now, when I see an ipk that I want, use FileCoaster and copy/paste the link. Voila! It's installed. Now, looking for some great software. Some of my stuff has been good but most is mediocre. NO, I'm not going to get into trouble by saying what is mediocre. I am thankful for everyone involved in providing these applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmglouis View Post
    Actually its a lot easier to use the windows app loader to get filecoaster on the pre and then use that to download away.

http://www.precentral.net/installing...rop-device-too
    You are correct except I prefer to use Linux to install filecoaster.ipk

Then from my pre install homebrew apps via filecoaster.

Where Palm Pre shines is its open Source build. Opening WebOS for developement of these Homebrew apps is Fwd thinking. Palm is leaving the door open for developers to have a creative hand in the future of the Pre.

I am surprised at Palm for not having better apps released through the App Catalog. So far most of the catalog Apps are medicocre at best, none of which to me enhance the Devices true capability.

Where as I have to give Huge Kudos to the Homebrew Developers. So far the Apps that have been released are amazing.

My favorites

Unit- A conversion calculator
    Filecoaster- The 1st must have app for any Pre
    MyNotification- Customize your notifications sounds
    Translator App- translates languages
    Magic 8Ball!- uses accelerometer

Thanks Precentral & The entire Homebrew Developer/contributors! W/out this group Palm most likely would still be treading water.

f course we have to credit Palm for its release of the SDK.
    Last edited by Addie_Goodvibes; 07/30/2009 at 02:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    once you get fileCoaster on your Pre, you'll never to use your PC for it again.

I just grab all my homebrew apps via fileCoaster now. very simple.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdaq View Post
    It took me forever, but it worked. I used the excellent Terminal application to do it.

Steps were fairly simple: use wget to download the .ipk file to a temp directory, then install it as root via the ipkg command. I couldn't recall the Luna restart command so being lazy I just did a reboot, and viola!

The only tricky part about the whole thing was manually typing the giant URL to get the .ipk. Paste didn't seem to work..
    That's one important feature missing from the terminal - cut/paste.
    -mark
    Quote Originally Posted by addie_goodvibes View Post
    i use filecoaster, easy as pie.

I never had to use a pc.
    +1 ftw ^^^
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Hehe, really I was just being lazy and was curious if it was possible via Terminal without having to leave my couch

Filecoaster looks quite excellent! Thanks for the tips.