Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurgling View Post

This sounds like something built for accountants and not mathematicians or engineers.
    Most consumer-class handheld calculators are programmed to do "percent add-on" and "percent discount" functions when the keys are entered as described by the OP, i.e. 100 + 5 % returns 105. This is intended to facilitate extremely common commercial calculations such as sales tax add-on and quick percent discount calculations, with user input that is highly intuitive for many people. More advanced math/scientific calculators follow a strict "order of operations" approach and return 1.05 with identical key entries. These are just two different conventions on how the % key can function. There is no universal right or wrong.

I think it is odd that Palm chose the less consumer-oriented approach since I would think that the Pre calculator would be used most frequently in exactly those kind of quick commercial applications, where people will expect the same behavior as a common handheld calculator.

I agree with a previous poster that the best approach is to avoid the % key altogether and enter: 100 * 1.05, if you want to add 5% to 100.
    Quote Originally Posted by krazydav View Post
    Much easier to multiply by 1.05... my $0.02
    Exactly! Any tartard should know that you move the decimal to the left 2 places to make a percentage and add a 1 if you want to add a percentage to something. Using a calculator 101: 100 + 5% is entered as 100*1.05. You will get the correct answer on any calculator.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    My TI-89 gives me 2001/20, which equals 100.05.
    Quote Originally Posted by mherald81 View Post
    My TI-89 gives me 2001/20, which equals 100.05.
    What's weird is I did it on my Pre, and it comes out 105, not 100.05, like the OP. Do I have a smarter Pre?
    Please do us all a favor.

If you want to calculate: 100 + (5% of 100)

Do this: 100 * 1.05
    So I was at work playing around with a few calculators and found out that the OP hs a point. I apologize for my previous statement.

Stupid Goat!!!
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    So I was at work playing around with a few calculators and found out that the OP hs a point. I apologize for my previous statement.

Stupid Goat!!!
    You are one classy goat! Thanks!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234