Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhihan View Post
    I've had the same problem. I just replaced my Pre for other reasons (my THIRD Pre) and now the SPint Navigation doesn't work. GPS is on, rebooted several times, and keeps getting lost around Chicago. I used my old ones around New York and Boston without any problems at all. The one I have now is just totally messed up. I finds me sporadically then it stalls or jumps around randomly. Very unhappy about this.

I tried turning on Google Maps and it seems to be OK at find me. But Sprint Navigation just continues to stall and jump around.

Sucks...
    Both my Pre and Instinct have problems in downtown Chicago. I believe the skyscrapers mess with it in some way. SprintNav seems to get confused and starts spitting out random directions.
    No problems here.
    Make sure the pre is by the front window by your dashboard and nothing over it GPS usually needs a clear line of sight to the sky
    Weird, so its just a Chicago problem?
    Most things are.
    The problem is that it takes so long to reboot the Pre! Its annoying. Ill reboot and when its back on (if im texting a lot of people) ill already have 8 messages! I understand it has so much stuff to run, but i think that the reboot needs to be quicker....
    I have found when I type in an address it really helps if your not in a moving car. I dont mean dont use it in a car, I mean it works faster and is more acurate if I am in park.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Both Sprint Nav and Google work fine for me.

It's usually note the device but what it's getting from the sat's. I have one area that no GPS can get you closer that about the equivalent of 5-6 blocks. It might be the area, a retro, small town design, outdoor retail/office development is constructed 100% by steal beam framing. Whatever it is, according to GPS, no one is anywhere near there.
    I've been having issues in northern Wisconsin...and we don't have too many skyscrapers. It worked great for a month, then over the past couple days it either says GPS signal weak or can't find it at all. I'm using exactly as before. Only difference is the 1.1 update.
    The Pre has been able to pinpoint my exact location (within 10 meters) every time. Sprint Navigation or Google Maps, doesn't matter.

The only issue I'm getting now though is that Google Maps can't find any locations I type into it. Like if I type Best Buy, it won't give me the nearest Best Buy...
    I've had problems with Sprint Navigation. No problems for the first few weeks, but the past few weeks I have the same problem every time. The first time I use it, it takes only a few seconds to find GPS satellites, and it gives me the correct local map with my position accurately marked. But after about 30 seconds I get the "satellite red-X" icon on the map and shortly thereafter I am told that my position can't be located (but only after a lengthy fruitless search for GPS satellites). When I try to close the app and start again I'm told there is no GPS signal and my position can't be located. Sometimes if I let it set for awhile I can restart and get the initial situation of an accurate fix for a brief period, then loss of GPS signal again. This happens on flat buildingless prairie under a cloudless blue sky with nothing blocking signal from horizon to horizon, and five bars EV on my Sprint signal. It happens in situations where my bottom dollar Garmin GPS gets a fantastic GPS signal from inside the car, as does Google Maps on the Sprint phone--It is only Sprint Navigation that has a problem, everything else thinks life is great and the satellite acquisition is easy. By going to "street maps" instead of "drive to" on the Sprint Navigation, I can get a map with a somewhat inaccurate but reasonably close location that is updated every thirty seconds or so. I suspect this is the system working with phone towers rather than satellites.

This afternoon was the first time I had tried it in a week or so, and I am agitated. I'll call Sprint tonight and try to wade through the tech support to a solution.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Yep, would have worked perfectly when Daly, Sr. was still mayor....
    I had Tom Tom years ago with treo and am still using it with newer maps on 755P of spouse. Works great, in Europe it may been off as to which exit on "round abouts" a few times, brought me through a cow pasture once, and down a street that got progressively narrow in Chateau Neuf one time but it was reliable.

As for Sprint Navigation, it is good for the most part, but when I flew to Texas/Oklahoma outskirts it had us going to ends of streets and told us to do a u-turn.. I find it lacking. It is a part of that other company subscription service thingy that I had with the ATT Treo Pro. It honestly comes no where close to being as accurate as Tom Tom.

I hope that Tom Tom releases a product that is compatable. That does not rely on cell towers.
    Been meaning to take a picture of this. Here's all the stuff in the center console of my truck for my iPod, BB and Nav...

...that was replaced by this:

Last edited by GMoney749; 08/09/2009 at 09:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    same issues, I'm on my second Pre, the first one was great, no problems in my car, moving or parked and always got a strong signal. My second one has not been able to get a signal from anywhere in the car unless I hold it right in front of the windshield. As soon as I move it from there it loses signal or says signal is weak thereby losing all functions for a GPS... defect?
    Quote Originally Posted by tavarua88 View Post
    same issues, I'm on my second Pre, the first one was great, no problems in my car, moving or parked and always got a strong signal. My second one has not been able to get a signal from anywhere in the car unless I hold it right in front of the windshield. As soon as I move it from there it loses signal or says signal is weak thereby losing all functions for a GPS... defect?

Are you sure moving it from the windshield causes the problem? Or is it just losing GPS signal after about thirty seconds of GPS tracking regardless of location? I had the latter problem, and doing a partial reset (accessed from the "device info" icon on your launcher) and it fixed the problem.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Now I'm having problems in NYC. It can't even acquire a signal, even when I'm standing outside pretty much in the middle of the street. Is this a defect? It worked on the highway outside of Chicago (in the near north on 94 and 294), but couldn't get a signal on the LIE outside of NYC (495). It also totally failed in Chicago itself. Any thoughts? Should I just get it replaced?
    i do have that problem and the only solution that work for me is by removing the battery.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Greensboro, NC here. Nav works impeccably.
    I went from KC to Sprint Texas using Sprint Nav on my Pre and not one issue. Oh yeah I also used on the trip back, same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by joselito1976 View Post
    i do have that problem and the only solution that work for me is by removing the battery.
    So I remove the battery, restart, and then GPS will lock? Have you tried this in NYC?

Thanks!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast