Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Works fine in Houston and most of south Tx.
    Impulsebuyer, nice avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    If you are still using a bluetooth headset, that would make 5 items Post Pre vs. 10 items "Pre Pre"

A 50% reduction in equipment is not bad!
    Nope, don't use the headset anymore. With the Pre on the Touchstone it automatically goes to speakerphone when a call comes in. It also mutes the Nav or music that's playing so you can hear the caller through the car speakers.

Oh, and it's not just a reduction in the NUMBER of items, if you can imagine all that stuff hooked up in my truck compared to this...

...you'd really understand how much better things are.
    Last edited by GMoney749; 08/08/2009 at 11:45 AM.
    That's a HOT pic! Do you remove the touchstone when you leave the car to prevent theft?
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    That's a HOT pic! Do you remove the touchstone when you leave the car to prevent theft?
    No, I don't. I had originally tried putting it on there with velcro, but it moved around way too much, so I used double-side tape instead. The piece it's mounted on (used to be a coin holder that I hacked-up) is actually removable, but it would take a screwdriver to do it, and I'm not doing that every time I get out of the car.

TS is like $40 now, if somebody wants it that bad I guess they can have it.
    Well, TS is not that valuable but think of what it might cost if someone shatters your window to get into your car. Most cops recommend that people wipe off the residue ring on a windshield left by using a GPS suction mount. When criminals see things like that they figure the GPS, cell phone, iPod, etc. may be in the glove compartment, armrest, etc.

I LOVE the idea of having a TS mounted in my car but I am concern about attracting criminals. (I grew up in a rough Philadelphia neighborhood!)
    Yeah, I know. I would always put all the cables and mounts for all that junk in the console (another huge hassle) whenever I left the car. But I think the TS ONLY says Palm Pre, and I doubt anybody would think I'm going to leave that in the car. Plus, TS itself isn't all that noticable in the truck as it fits right in with the circular theme on the dash.

Knocking on wood...

And yeah, if I were in Philly I'd only leave it in there if I drove a tank.
  8.    #48  
    yea the thing is that i do have a clear view of the sky. When it can't find my location, i actually put down the window and stick my pre out of the window so it can have a perfect view of the sky and that damn thing still cant find me. It must be a problem with my pre because it seems that all of your navi's are working fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by d0llarm3nu View Post
    And also I live in a great coverage area here in cary, north carolina
    THAT'S your problem, you're in Cary! No GPS could find you that far down in the circles of hell.

Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    How many bars you have doesn't matter. You have to have a clear view of the sky or very close to it. GPS is using satellites. Not cell towers.

My guess is that Google is reverting back to cell triangulation if a GPS identification cannot be made.
    You do need cell towers for Sprint Nav/TeleNav to work properly, because it has to download the maps. You have to have both cell service and GPS signal for it to work right.

It does cache the maps once you have your route, so you can continue navigating the route even if you lose cell service. But it won't generate new maps if you make a wrong turn or change your route if you don't have cell service.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    THAT'S your problem, you're in Cary! No GPS could find you that far down in the circles of hell.

are you kidding me... Cary has one of the best coverage areas. You can't possible be saying that since north carolina is in the south... that it has crappy service
    Quote Originally Posted by d0llarm3nu View Post
    are you kidding me... Cary has one of the best coverage areas. You can't possible be saying that since north carolina is in the south... that it has crappy service
    No, I'm certain it has great service. I'm simply saying Cary sucks, a feeling that I believe is common throughout the rest of North Carolina as well. Although you have to admit, dressing all the cell towers up like pine trees can't be helping the signal any.

That, and I'm just yankin your chain a little.

But really, Cary sucks.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I have had Sprint Navigation not find my location several times. I did find a remedy for this that usually works...

1. If Sprint Nav doesn't find location, close the app.
    2. Open google maps, wait for it to find location with GPS (a dot on the map w/o the blue ring around it should indicate this).
    3. Minimize Google Maps, and re-open Sprint Nav
    4. Once Sprint Nav finds location, you can close Google Maps.

Something is up with the Sprint Nav programming is my guess.
    Worked fine for me on a 2000 mile drive from FL to MN. It was on 90% of the time :-)
    Happened to me a few times and I had to reboot it to get it to work. Now if it can't find signal in clear view of the sky and no obstructing buildings I just reboot it. Sucks.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I used the Sprint Tele nav last time I was in Orlando and even after a reoot it was not able to give my exact location and was only able to reach within 500ft accuracy or something like that. Also along with several failure messages whic someon has posted before somewhere on the forums.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    this has happen to me numerous times but sometimes after a reboot it will work or it usually does this if i havent turned off my phone in a while or traveled in and outta network w/o rebooting
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Works well most of the time. I was on a trip to SF for business recently and had a rental car one day, and it didn't work too well in the downtown/tall buildings area.

It was frustrating - it would say, "turn right on XYZ street", and I'd see the street, and turn right on it. Then it would say - "wrong turn - off course - recalculating" or something like that. Not like a I needed the extra stress of a GPS which is lost in a city I don't know my way around.
    I've had the same problem. I just replaced my Pre for other reasons (my THIRD Pre) and now the SPint Navigation doesn't work. GPS is on, rebooted several times, and keeps getting lost around Chicago. I used my old ones around New York and Boston without any problems at all. The one I have now is just totally messed up. I finds me sporadically then it stalls or jumps around randomly. Very unhappy about this.

I tried turning on Google Maps and it seems to be OK at find me. But Sprint Navigation just continues to stall and jump around.

Sucks...
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    No, I'm certain it has great service. I'm simply saying Cary sucks, a feeling that I believe is common throughout the rest of North Carolina as well. Although you have to admit, dressing all the cell towers up like pine trees can't be helping the signal any.

That, and I'm just yankin your chain a little.

But really, Cary sucks.
    True north carolina may suck but not cary, one of the nicest cities in the country.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast