Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I've used mine in the Denver, CO and San Diego, CA areas and no problems yet.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by d0llarm3nu View Post
    Yes my GPS is enabled. It seems it can only find my location sometimes when I have full bars and am standing still. And that is Sometimes. I have rebooted the pre many times.
    Is it possible you live next door to **** Cheney?

Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I'm also in the San Antonio area & it works fine for me; in fact, when I come to an intersection, it shows w/in 10 feet--more accurate than my Garmin.

Cheers
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Works just about perfect for me in St. Louis. I love it. Much better than spending a bunch of money on a standalone unit.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    The only problem I've experienced with Sprint Navigation is that sometimes it takes me on funky routes. For example, it'll take me on city roads when it's the most direct route even though a nearby highway would clearly be faster. But, I've had similar problems with other Nav systems.

EDIT: Also, it doesn't have some newer highways listed.
    This past weekend I tried to use it and it couldn't get a fix. Tried it three times. Ended up using Google instead.

I've used it a bunch and never had that happen until then.
    I love SprintNav. Every once in a while it can't find my location. Each time that happened I was either in a shopping center or just outside Sprint coverage area. Driving a few feet resolved the issue and it was able to find my location.

On the Pre, it doesn't seem to be quite as accurate as SprintNav on the Instinct. On the Pre, when I get to an intersection, the map shows I need to drive up further to be at the intersection whereas the Instinct was always surprisingly spot on! Not a big deal.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Fine for me in Austin, TX. The Pre, I believe, uses real GPS from satellites in addition to triangulation from the towers. Many other phones just use the tower information for GPS, which is actually faster. The Pre, like the iPhone, requires a good view of the sky to get the quickest, fastest signal and lock on your location. It works well for me.
    On Tuesday, the same thing happened to me. Sprint Navigation couldn't locate me on GPS (GPS was on). Prior to this, I've never had an issue. And I was out in the daylight on a major road.

Today, it's working fine and I'm sitting inside a building. Yesterday I did reboot the phone, so perhaps that fixed it. I can't say for sure because I didn't try it prior to the reboot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    Works just about perfect for me in St. Louis. I love it. Much better than spending a bunch of money on a standalone unit.
    Amen! Plus, one less device to carry around!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Just wanted to suggest shutting it down properly every time. When you're done using it, tap on the car then choose to stop navigation or end trip or something like that. Then, when it goes back to the welcome screen, swipe away the card. I don't know if there's a connection, but I do that every time and I've never had a problem with the GPS.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    I love sprint navigation on this phone...it finds me perfectly and it never lags. As for my INSTINCT, it took me almost 20 minutes for it to find where i am , and when it does, ill drive 10 miles and it will still say im at my house...but this phone def. works a lot better
    I have used it at least a dozen times, 0 problesm in fact en route to a tennis tournement I was running late for it gave me re-direction instructions due to a SIG alert road closure on the 710 FWY.

That was impressive! If I had gone the google mapped route I would likely have been late and been stuck in traffic.

If you miss a turn it will re-direct & still get you to the destination.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    No problem here, Stanfield NC (BFE town near Charlotte). In fact it gets a signal faster then my TomTom.
    I give it a B+ on the Pre. Every once in a while, maybe 20% of the time, it has trouble finding me.
    Please remember guys, the Sprint navi is dependent on TWO systems in your Pre.

1) Sprint service coverage. As long as you have good to fair coverage your Pre will be able to transmit the data it needs to get directions.

2) GPS Data. Your Pre needs a CLEAR AND UNOBSTRUCTED view of the sky. YES, the roof of your car gets in the way! YES, Building roofs get in the way! It is the same with ALL GPS units save the military grade ones.

You need a dashboard mount to navigate properly in your car. Make sure you place the mount in such a way that your Pre will be out from under your roof or any fancy tinting bands at the top of your windshield.

As long as you have your Pre mounted properly and you have good EVDO signal you should be fine. If you lose one of the two you may still be able to navigate for a while, but you will lose accuracy and/or map data, and eventually you will get a navigation error.

Before anyone bangs on Sprint for this, it's the same way with ALL GPS navi phones from all carriers, and for some of the standalone units as well. Remember, just because you don't know how to use it doesn't mean it's broken or badly designed. Learn to utilize your Pre navi function properly, and you will never be lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    Amen! Plus, one less device to carry around!
    Tell me about it; a road trip in my truck:

Prior to Pre
    1. Magellan Nav Unit
    2. Suction windshield mount for Nav Unit
    3. Charger for Nav Unit

4. Ipod
    5. Cupholder mount for iPod
    6. Travel charger for iPod
    7. Audio cable for Aux input

8. Blackberry
    9. Charger for Blackberry
    10. Bluetooth headset

Post Pre
    1. Pre
    2. Touchstone mount
    3. Travel charger
    4. Audio cable for Aux input

And if I ever get around to an aftermarket stereo with Bluetooth, it'll be one less thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Tell me about it; a road trip in my truck:

Prior to Pre
    1. Magellan Nav Unit
    2. Suction windshield mount for Nav Unit
    3. Charger for Nav Unit

4. Ipod
    5. Cupholder mount for iPod
    6. Travel charger for iPod
    7. Audio cable for Aux input

8. Blackberry
    9. Charger for Blackberry
    10. Bluetooth headset

Post Pre
    1. Pre
    2. Touchstone mount
    3. Travel charger
    4. Audio cable for Aux input

And if I ever get around to an aftermarket stereo with Bluetooth, it'll be one less thing.
    If you are still using a bluetooth headset, that would make 5 items Post Pre vs. 10 items "Pre Pre"

A 50% reduction in equipment is not bad!
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d0llarm3nu View Post
    Yes my GPS is enabled. It seems it can only find my location sometimes when I have full bars and am standing still. And that is Sometimes. I have rebooted the pre many times.
    How many bars you have doesn't matter. You have to have a clear view of the sky or very close to it. GPS is using satellites. Not cell towers.

My guess is that Google is reverting back to cell triangulation if a GPS identification cannot be made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    for some reason the Pre with navigation is the not the best. My dumb flip phones did much better. I am afraid to use it at times because of where it might take me. Google maps does seem to do better, and I have no clue why.
    Thats funny bc I think Sprint Navi works amazing! Besides my oem nav in my car my Pre actually is just as accurate!!!

Although there is a catch, hook up to an airave and you will be put at least 30 miles away from your location ...
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast