1.    #1  
    What are the odds that the homebrew apps will make their way to the app catalog? Are many of these apps just waiting for palm's approval?
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    26 to 1
    I thought more like 32 to 1
    There is no spoon
  4.    #4  
    Very helpful guys

I'm just wondering if the developers of the better apps in the homebrew section are actively pursuing app catalog inclusion?
    What about creating a HomeBrew App Catalog? Has anyone considered or started work on one?
    only a few are. But there is talk of a separate homebrew app catalog
    I can only speak for myself. I will try to get everything I make into the App Catalog. The number of users available to App Catalog is always > number of users here. Always will be until 100% of Pre users log onto here.

That being said, there are always going to be some apps that won't be in the App Catalog. The issues either being quality or content/functionality of the App. That will be the real long term goal of any PreCentral hosting.
    Homebrew app developers probably want to be included in the palm app store because that's really the only way they are going to get the chance to get paid for their work.
    Didn't Palm put out a press release that they won't be accepting submissions to the App Catalog until sometime in the Fall.
    Yes.

Which means no one has an excuse to have a crappy runnning application with all this whinning haha

No but seriously, i have a feeling some of the great homebrew apps on this forum will be removed to put into the app store instead.

For instance, that xbox app is golden. He can def. sell it for $.99-$1.99 and i think tons of people would pick it up.
    Palm has to approve what goes in theirs. I'm sure a developer wants to do that if they think Palm will approve it. That's where the money is.

We really don't know how Palm's approval process will work or what influence Sprint or other carriers will have... We already know Palm knocked off tethering because of Sprint. I'm thinking the process will mirror apple's...as much as i don't want that. The hope is that Sprint/Palm knows they need to do something more to combat the competition such as allowing apps like Slingbox to use 3G.

Just to add though, even if they did add extra things (or go the extra mile with a more open approval process) like a fully functioning slingplayer, I'm not sure either Palm or Sprint would benefit much from it because of weak marketing. They can do great things, but marketing is key..and quite frankly Palm sucks at it.
    Last edited by cardfan; 07/30/2009 at 12:50 PM.
  12.    #12  
    With the possibility of Verizon not allowing Palm's app catalog once they get the Pre next year, I wonder how that will effect Palm's app catalog both short term and long. I hope this doesn't encourage developers to take a "wait and see" approach thereby slowing short term growth for us Sprint/Palm catalog folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I can only speak for myself. I will try to get everything I make into the App Catalog. The number of users available to App Catalog is always > number of users here. Always will be until 100% of Pre users log onto here.

That being said, there are always going to be some apps that won't be in the App Catalog. The issues either being quality or content/functionality of the App. That will be the real long term goal of any PreCentral hosting.
    Maybe it won't matter as much in the future but, from the user end, the other thing is updates. I've installed a few 'Brew apps, and the only way for me to know if they're updated is to go searching through the forum. If they're in the app catalog it will be much easier to find out about updates.