Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    So ever since I got my it had a little bit of twisting play with it. I have two other friends that have Pre's and theirs aren't nearly as bad. But I was like, oh well, there's really nothing to do about it but just enjoy the phone. So last night I picked up my phone and felt the gap between the top and bottom parts on one side of the phone was larger and more noticeable then it had been. After looking at it, there is certainly a noticeable difference in the size of the gap on one side from the other.

I got my Pre on July 5th. I am thinking of taking it back to Sprint to try and exchange it. My issues are that I have an IS Screen protector on it (that was a ***** to get on there), and a bunch of homebrew apps and music and such as well. I'm concerned that if i remove the shield and all my stuff and take it back to them, they're just going to give me some BS story about how there is nothing wrong and there is nothing they can do. Then I went through all the trouble of setting it back to default for nothing.

Those of you that have replaced yours for similar reasons, what sort of things did you tell the Sprint reps?

My post count isn't high enough yet for me to post pictures but when it does I will do so.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    -Jeff
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    When I returned mine it was within the 30 days, I just walked in and said that I need to replace my Pre due to hardware issues. Show them the gap and tell them that you are afraid that it will just get worse as time goes on(which it probably will) Get a work order written up for the replacement(always want the paperwork) if there iss a waitlist, tell them that will be fine.

Make sure you tell them that this is within the 30 day trial period and that they should be giving you a replacement that is a new Pre in the box, not a refurb that is in an envelope.

When it comes in, prior to them turning it on, ask to inspect it for the usual gaps, slider movement, etc. and then once your satisfied, proceed with the replacement of your Pre.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Don't bother with removing your apps/data until they agree to take it back. Then, do a full wipe (I'm sure there's an FAQ around here on how to do a COMPLETE wipe) before you hand it to them.

Removal of the screen protector should be easy, I'd hope. Should take a few seconds to just peel off.

However... be aware that some jerky Sprint reps are telling people that the use of a non-Palm/Sprint authorized screen protector is considered a violation of the warranty. They'll show you how your warranty states that you're not allowed to "modify" the device. And, while most of us would agree that a screen protector isn't modifying a device, this is one of those areas where, if they really want, they could argue that an unapproved screen protector will cause the device to overheat (i.e., it traps heat), got water inside the device (if you use one that requires water, soap water, or solution to apply), or any of other things. Therefore, if they DO turn you away because of this, I'd suggest removing it before going back to the store (on a day that the rep isn't there!).
    BTW.... DSPKweb...cool avatar
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Great. Thanks for the advice. Do you think it is worth taking the screen protector off before I even go in and try to exchange it the first time?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dlord369 View Post
    Great. Thanks for the advice. Do you think it is worth taking the screen protector off before I even go in and try to exchange it the first time?
    Might as well NOT remove it, in case they turn you down. Sounds like you had a heard time getting it on.
    I took my first pre back for the same reason. Bought mine at best buy though. One look at the gap and they exchanged it without any problems. I dont think Sprint will give you any trouble, at least they shouldnt (imo). I had some homebrew apps on it as well. Just make sure to sync your data and contacts (its done automatically, but better to be on the safe side). I wiped my pre from palm site. Doing a full erase on the pre itself was not deleting everything.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    This is helpful.. I'll be going in with my Oreo this weekend too.. good luck to you!
    I also had the "oreo effect" with my pre. I brought it back to the Radio Shack that I purchased it from, and they exchanged it for me without hesitation. I had a full body skin on mine, and I just left it on. They didn't care at all. The rep even went as far as to tell me exchanging it was the right thing to do.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I'm going to be taking mine back to Best Buy b/c of the Oreo in another week. That's why I've held off from installing any homebrews or my Phantomskinz. Although I may fiddle with a homebrew or two to get the hang of it since I'm going to wipe this Pre out anyway.

I'm just hoping I don't drop my phone (knock on wood) before I return it for the exchange. I also have a little less negotiation power since I caught it during the mistake at BB. Can't really threaten to return it and buy another elsewhere considering I only paid $99 for it. lol
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I'd say this, if it's that bad, take it in. If they agree it should be replaced, bring it back after get whatever you want off of it taken off.

Don't go in expecting a Sprint rep to be an ignorant a$$. If you do, you're likely to create an ignorant a$$ out of a one. I can't imagine a Sprint store would actually tell you a non-related issue is due to a screen protector or somehow a warranty claim will be rejected.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    I can't imagine a Sprint store would actually tell you a non-related issue is due to a screen protector or somehow a warranty claim will be rejected.
    Have you ever dealt with Sprint?

Not saying all reps are bad, but this is exactly the sort of thing that Sprint reps would say.

I had a senior rep tell me that the Pre was designed to only run for 5 or 6 hours on a battery charge. He told me that this was based on consumer requests and that if I had "unusual requirements," like needing to go 10-12 hours on a battery charge, I should get a different phone.

Take a look at these forums to see all the various stories told by Sprint reps.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Don't be so sure they'll just go ahead and exchange it for the Oreo effect... I went through three stores and none of them were having it. They kept saying it was normal. So I just returned the phone outright and bought it again at Best Buy a week later, getting one that's solid as a rock.

If you were already a Sprint customer before you got the Pre and you still have your old phone, my advice is to bring your old phone with you and either leave with a new Pre, or have them switch you back to your old phone and leave the Oreo with them. Then just buy it again after you get your money back.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aglide View Post
    If you were already a Sprint customer before you got the Pre and you still have your old phone, my advice is to bring your old phone with you and either leave with a new Pre, or have them switch you back to your old phone and leave the Oreo with them. Then just buy it again after you get your money back.
    Great tip, unless Sprint tries to charge you $36 to activate the old phone and then another $36 to activate back to a Pre.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Great tip, unless Sprint tries to charge you $36 to activate the old phone and then another $36 to activate back to a Pre.
    They actually did try to scam me out of a restock fee when I returned the phone. Thanks to this forum I knew it was bogus, but I didn't want to argue with them anymore. I told them to charge it to my Sprint account so I could go home and call the CS line to have it removed. I got home, called the line, read them the disclaimer at the bottom of the receipt that says the charge was only for exchanges for "a different model or color", and the charge was taken off immediately

I didn't get charged anything by Best Buy when I activated the Pre I got from them a week later.
    If you buy one at a sprint retail store...just show them yours...and walk over to the demo they have and show them the difference and then ask them if "they ALL do this"

I walked in said I need to exchange it..she said they all do it..so I did what i just said..and she looked at me and said "Ohh Ok I will exchange it."

Lazy Employees. The new one works great though! No oreo or anything wrong with it...and she let me keep the charger and cable
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Don't bother with removing your apps/data until they agree to take it back. Then, do a full wipe (I'm sure there's an FAQ around here on how to do a COMPLETE wipe) before you hand it to them.
    There is a full reset to factor default mode under settings.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    If you buy one at a sprint retail store...just show them yours...and walk over to the demo they have and show them the difference and then ask them if "they ALL do this"
    You'd think that wouldn't you? I did this at three different stores, each of which had two display phones that did not wobble, and it didn't phase them. I was amazed at their stubbornness.
    I had a similar issue with my launch day pre...very bad oreo. I finally went to the store about 2 week after I purchased it and threw a huge fit (not really but I made the sales rep feel like an ***** for being an @$$) and got an exchange. The second one was worse than the first! So I went back 2 days later and they refused to exchange it! So I eventually stormed out of the store and figured I would call *2 to see what I could get accomplished. I threatened to cancel, they transferred me to retentions, and after a 1.5 hour conversation and after being treated like a king, they removed my contractual obligation, set up a free brand new exchange at a different store, and I got 2 inside emails for retentions managers for ANY future issues that I have! Now I'm not saying that anyone with problems should just call and threaten to cancel to get what they want, but I am saying that you should get what you deserve (a fully functional, solid $200 phone) and do what is necessary to accomplish that! Hope my rant helped!
    Oops...also about the IS skin...I would say either way, don't give up on getting an exchange. That being said, IMO you should go ahead and remove the skin because you should (and will if you don't give up/give in to their BS) get an exchange if its within your 30 days. Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast