Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    AT&T just recently started to offer Free Wi-Fi at Barnes & Noble nationwide.

AT&T Wi-Fi - Barnes & Noble

I went to test it out yesterday with poor results. My Pre found the AT&T SSID quickly and established a connection. But unfortunately the only two sites I could visit were Wireless, DSL Internet, Digital TV Services, and Phone | AT&T and Barnes & Noble - Books, Textbooks, Used Books, DVDs, Music, Toys, Home & Gift (redirects to Barnes & Noble - Books, Textbooks, Used Books, DVDs, Music, Toys, Home & Gift). Everything else I tried (Google, tech sites, PreCentral Forums, etc.) gave me a server error message.

Does anyone know why this is the case? By the way, I've only tried connecting using a Pre and not any other devices.

Please share your experiences with connecting to their complimentary Wi-Fi service using your Pre!
    Well considering it was just announced today maybe it wasn't implemented correctly?
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    It's possible, I'll try again in a few days and see if it's been fixed at that location.
    My local Krystals (similar to White Castles) offers free WiFi. Strange place to offer WiFi if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    My local Krystals (similar to White Castles) offers free WiFi. Strange place to offer WiFi if you ask me.
    Most of the local McDonald's around here are offering free WiFi now, so I'd say Krystal isn't so strange. I'm noticing it available more and more these days at places such as bars, restaurants, even auto repair shops. As time goes on, the "strange" places will be the ones that don't have WiFi, rather than the ones that do.
    I was in a local restaurant last night and they had free wifi. I believe they have figured out it's a cheap way to lure in customers.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I think only AT&T devices get comp WiFi. I'm not sure how they validate AT&T devices (ie the iPhone) these days, but you might wanna try changing your wireless adapter's MAC address to an iPhone's (google for iPhone MAC addresses).

If they aren't doing MAC addresses, you might need to get a user id and passwd from someone who has AT&T.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    I think only AT&T devices get comp WiFi. I'm not sure how they validate AT&T devices (ie the iPhone) these days, but you might wanna try changing your wireless adapter's MAC address to an iPhone's (google for iPhone MAC addresses).

If they aren't doing MAC addresses, you might need to get a user id and passwd from someone who has AT&T.
    It use to be only AT&T customers could get free wifi. The OP is right. On Tuesday B&N released a statement saying that all customers would be able to access the wifi at stores for free. It probably has to do with B&N getting into the ebook game. They're coming out with their own software product to compete with Amazon's kindle. Makes sense. Browse the store for a book you like then whip out your smartphone and download the ebook version yhrough the store's wifi connection.
    Another odd place for free WiFi is Mrs. Field Cookies. It's always worked well at the locations I have tried it at in Chicago.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Starbucks has free AT&T wifi if you register your Starbucks card. I find that it is easier to use in some stores than others, but I'm not sure why. The log-in page looks the same no matter which store I am in.
    well since it's free for AT&T I think only AT&T customers can use it....
    It'll work for you if you have AT&T DSL. They let you use the WiFi free I believe.
  13. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by f1nzup View Post
    I was in a local restaurant last night and they had free wifi. I believe they have figured out it's a cheap way to lure in customers.
    YEP. I know a lot of them are catering to business people who bring their laptops,etc. with them to lunch to work through lunch.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    You can get free AT&T wi-fi when you buy a Starbucks gift card and register it online.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    I have no idea if this is the case, here, however here's a general tip when trying to use public WiFi:

Some places require you to visit their site first in order to accept their TOS. Usually, when you try to go to a site in your browser, it'll redirect you to the store's site first for you to accept the TOS. Once you do, they unlock your MAC/IP address.

This can trip you up if you don't go into your browser first. For example, where I work, there's a public WiFi. You have to accept the TOS first, however. So, I was walking through the halls, pulled out my Pre, and noticed that I had a WiFi signal. Tried to go into App Catalog, but it failed. Tried to get my e-mail, but it failed. Then, I went into the browser, saw the TOS screen, accepted the TOS... After that, App Catalog and e-mail worked.

So, if you do get redirected to a store site, check to see if there's a button to accept a TOS or to sign-in. The later is used where you need an account. In that case, even if it's free, the store may want you to request an account before they give you access.
    I will be heading to B&N with my pre today, I will report back if it works or not.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I don't know what it's like in other areas of the country, but here B&N stores have a Starbucks inside them, and it's Starbucks offering the free wi-fi through AT&T. Maybe that's what has changed, and now it's B&N offering the wi-fi.

I got DSL over 9 years ago through Southwestern Bell. It switched over to SBC Global and now AT&T. Even though I still have a Southwestern Bell email address, I can still use it log in at any location offering free wi-fi through AT&T.

Squeff is right. You typically have to log in or accept something through the Web browser first. It's the same at many hotels and airports.
    Craziest wifi place - Restrooms at the end of the huge terminal in the Hong Kong Airport.. They had chairs and everything in the bathroom...
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I went to another B&N location and the free Wi-Fi was a success!

There was a splash page where I had to check a box (Terms & Condition) and then click on "Get Connected" and everything was smooth after that.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedBrkr View Post
    I went to another B&N location and the free Wi-Fi was a success!

There was a splash page where I had to check a box (Terms & Condition) and then click on "Get Connected" and everything was smooth after that.
    Confirmed. I was able to use the free wifi on 7/29 at a BN in Queens, NY. And prior to that, it wasn't free.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast