Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Hey guys,

I've downloaded a lot of attachments through emails on my pre, and I want to clear up some hard drive space for some music. I don't know how to delete these files from my phone and I've tried searching the hard drive in the "downloads" folder but no luck.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks
    I've been wondering the same thing... a "delete attachments" option would be great!
    Had the same question the other day?
    I don't have anything important to say.............just wanted to get my 200th post!
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    I don't have anything important to say.............just wanted to get my 200th post!
    Lol
    The only way to clear them is to sync less email (I think?) or root the pre and delete them from the buried system folder they are in.
    Do the attachments automatically delete when the e-mail they were sent in is deleted?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    Do the attachments automatically delete when the e-mail they were sent in is deleted?
    That's a good question. I'll test that sometime today and get back to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    I did some testing this morning and here are my findings:
    1) The attachments aren't saved to the device until the attachments are clicked. The exception to this is files that can be read directly in the email client like .txt, rtf, and html files. They don't end up in the attachments folder though.

2) The attachments are stored in /var/luna/data/attachments/../../attachment. The "../.." are usually something like "bucket-1/part_5209739296871" I'm not sure what the meaning of the naming conventions are.

3) The attachments DO automatically delete with the email. So if you accidentally click on a large attachment you don't want you will have to delete the email in order to get rid of the large attachment.
    Last edited by zelet; 08/01/2009 at 12:58 AM.
    Thanks so much for your investigation, Zelet! That's good to know that the attachments automatically delete when the e-mails are deleted. I know that's what happened on my Centro (with Agendus Mail), so was hoping that's what would happen, especially since there's no file browser for non-rooted phones - but with all the bugs, I just couldn't be sure!
    Doesn't this "not saved unless clicked" only apply to certain type of email accounts? What about POP3 SMTP?
    What does it do with GMAIL attachments?
    What about Exchange using EAS transport?

Judging from the dates in my attachment folders...I think that even deleting the email account does not delete the attachments.

With over 200 emails in deleted folder, it seems quicker to delete the email account and re-create the email account and resync 1 day worth.

What do you think the best way to clean up all these attachments?
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    3) The attachments DO automatically delete with the email. So if you accidentally click on a large attachment you don't want you will have to delete the email in order to get rid of the large attachment.
    I am not sure this always happens.

I tested deleting all my Email accounts today.
    I had 2 POP/SMTP, 1 GMAIL IMAP, 1 MS EAS accounts.

After all were deleted, I rebooted the pre.

The /var/luna/data/attachements folder still has 29.6M

/var/luna/data/emails folder has 50.3M in it.

df reports /var is 90% full with 25.1M available.

So apps still won't install.

Any suggestions?
    Subscribing - nothing to add
    Quote Originally Posted by dld121 View Post
    Subscribing - nothing to add
    You can subscribe without posting by going to "Thread Tools" above the first post on the page and selecting "Subscribe to this thread".
    very useful info i emailed myself some roms for the nesem emulator and couldnt figure out where they were downloaded to so i could use internalz to move them to the rom folder
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!