1.    #1  
    I kept missing calls and figured out that it was because the
    ringer volume kept getting set to a very low level. I finally
    figured out that the volume buttons on the side of the device
    are directly linked to ringer volume! Who would want that?
    I use the speaker phone as much as not during a call, and I
    usually first reach for the volume buttons to adjust the
    incoming voice to an appropriate level. I had no idea that I
    was also adjusting the ringer volume for the next incoming call.

I have to stretch my imagination to think of a use case when
    I'd want speaker volume and ringer volume to be linked. What
    a chore I have now, to remember to adjust the ringer volume
    back to maximum after ever speaker-phone call. Jeesh!

Maybe there is a hack available, or in the future that would
    just leave the ringer volume out of the picture regarding the
    side volume buttons.

Tobiah
    I concur.
    I hate these buttons as well. It like playing catch up. It's a guessing game as to the settings.

Rob

PS I didn't like this on the Treo either.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I agree.
    This doesn't happen on mine. When using the volume keys it only adjusts the volume for the call, headset, music, or ringer volume based on when I use the keys. For example if I have a BT headset active and on a call it will adjust the volume in the headset but leaves all the other volumes alone. Same goes for all other cases of volume adjusting using the keys.
  6. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I'm not sure what "Questional" design decisions are, but if I leave the ringer volume high enough I can usually hear my phone.
    If you noticed, there's two different settings for volume. One of them looks like music notes, the other looks like a speaker.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    i hate that too, i also wish that when you did change the volume with the side buttons it would adjust the system sounds as well so if you turn your ringer down it will turn down the text/email volumes drive me nuts that i have to turn both down separate
    They are not linked. Changing the speaker or earpiece volume does not change the ringer volume or vice-versa.

What is annoying is that the ringer volume can be changed even when the phone is locked (and the screen still on at the lock screen). I've accidentally set my ringer volume low because of that.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    They are not linked. Changing the speaker or earpiece volume does not change the ringer volume or vice-versa.

This has been said, but it is not so. Open the sounds app and adjust
    the ringer volume all the way up. Close the app, and use the keys on the side
    of the phone to put the volume all the way down. Try calling your phone, or open
    the sound app again. The ringer volume is all the way down.
    When you put the system volume up you then have to deal with your touch tones on your dialer being extremely loud. Arrrgggg
    Quote Originally Posted by tobiah View Post
    of the phone to put the volume all the way down. Try calling your phone, or open
    That's because the because the buttons on the side of the phone will adjust the ringer volume, earpiece volume or speaker volume depending on what you are doing or what app you are running. When no media apps are running and the headset isn't connected it adjusts the ringer volume.

However, as I said the ringer volume, earpiece volume and speaker volume are not linked. Changing one does not change the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by tobiah View Post
    That is as it should be. A better test may be to turn the ringer volume up, and then make a call, using the side volume buttons to turn the earpiece volume down. When you're done, your ringer volume should still be up.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G