Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    My wife and I have both had Pres for just under 2 months. I think today was the first time I tried to take a call using the provided headphones. I was surprised to hear my own voice being fed directly back to me in the earpieces. It wasn't delayed feedback from the other end of the line, it was real-time.

Being the stalwart troubleshooter that I am, I figured I'd try out some different combinations. I tried my wife's Pre headphones with my phone: the same thing happened.

I then tried my headphones on my wife's Pre. The effect did not happen. I tried my wife's headphones on her Pre. The effect also did not happen.

I rebooted my phone and retested. No change.

From this I conclude there is something odd/wrong with my Pre, not my wife's Pre, and not either of our headphones.

So I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
    something like would be nice
    Hearing voices? Don't they make pills for that? Lol jk...very strange
    I experience the same thing, but I've been unable to decide if it's a bug or a feature. Anyone, anyone?
    the reason is because there is a mic near that button that lets you switch music tracks.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    I experience the same thing, but I've been unable to decide if it's a bug or a feature. Anyone, anyone?
    Given that one phone has it and another does not, my money has to go to "bug".
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Mine has done that from day one. I consider it a feature, because I've given up on Bluetooth (they can't make one I can't break - they'll have to make them from Titanium or something before I'll buy another one) and I use the wired headphone all the time.

Most regular land phones provide "feedback" of your own voice in the earpiece, and my first cell phone (Motorola Startac) had this feature when I had a boom mic plugged in. I was *really* annoyed when my Treo didn't have that feature, as it makes the whole conversation easier when you can hear your own voice. Otherwise, it's like trying to talk to someone with cotton in your ears, as you can't gauge how loud you're talking.

That said, it's *also* a feature in that it pics up everything around you when you're on a call, so you can hear what's around you. That said, it also makes them safe for driving while talking on the phone, as you can hear honking, ambulances, and other noises around you.
    Quote Originally Posted by lars47 View Post
    My wife and I have both had Pres for just under 2 months. I think today was the first time I tried to take a call using the provided headphones. I was surprised to hear my own voice being fed directly back to me in the earpieces. It wasn't delayed feedback from the other end of the line, it was real-time.

Being the stalwart troubleshooter that I am, I figured I'd try out some different combinations.
    There is nothing to troubleshoot.

This is called "sidetone", (Sidetone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and it's been around forever on landline phones.

It certainly makes talking with headphones on easier in many ways.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    So would that make it the other Pre that has the bug, since it isn't getting 'sidetone'...
  10. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I know with my computer's sound settings I am able to turn headset sidetone on or off and adjust its volume. I know the same is true of some aviation intercoms/coms.

Perhaps on of the fine programmers on this site can figure out if the Pre has the capacity to adjust it?

xtn
    Quote Originally Posted by dhcalva View Post
    So would that make it the other Pre that has the bug, since it isn't getting 'sidetone'...
    Maybe the mic on the headphones was muted on the other pre's?
    My Pre Plus does this and it is definitely a feature as far as I can tell. The same headphones don't do this when used on my ipod touch during a Skype call.

Does everyone hear direct feedback through their headset?